cooking on the cheap

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by fish, Dec 1, 2010.

1. fish

fish Monkey+

now in the old days folk would save on fuel when cooking by heating the food to be cooked till hot then putting the whole pan with the lid in a big box and pack hay all round and on top to insulate it,thus i hour of fuell could cook for many hours saving a fortune.
    well i dont have a hay box so i simply heat a pan of stew then put all the coats and fleeces in the house on top.

the stew is at 80 deg C.
    [​IMG]

then covered :
    [​IMG]

and
    12 hours later (over night)its still at a respectable 60 deg C and now cooked right through!!!
    [​IMG]

thanks for looking.

2. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

The same effect can be had using shredded paper and a basket. Excellent post Fish! Here is some information of "Hay Basket" cooking (AKA - 1800s crock pot cooking):
    Haybox « The Thermal Cooker Thermal Cooking Weblog

3. Joseph Thomas

Joseph Thomas Monkey+

That's why I use my cookstove to make our food on while heating the house. I can do everything from roasting a turkey to frying eggs and at the same time I'm keeping the house warm. Firebox has to be reloaded more often than a heat stove but it's not a big deal.

4. wildone_uk

wildone_uk Monkey+

we have a dutch oven there isno better way of cooking stew,think i,ll go and make some right now

5. ammon

ammon Monkey+

Many people I know use this method. They will take a laundry hamper basket and pack it in layers with blankets and situate the dutch over or pot in the middle. Many of my friends do this with dry beans rather than boiling or simmering for hours and hours.

6. fish

fish Monkey+

fuel is more expensive here yet few folk know these methods.

7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

When I backpack, I always bring a Thermos with me. I will break out the Kelly Kettle to boil some water using twigs, which takes about 3 minutes total. I then pour the water in the thermos with my food (pasta, dried, soup, etc.) and let it sit in there as I build the campsite or continue the hike. An hour later I can enjoy a hot meal and relax.

8. fish

fish Monkey+

great idea!

9. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Another thing to note, fish, is the water level between the first picture (pre-wrapping) and the last picture (12 hours later). There is no real appreciable difference in the water level. Very little water loss = more stew to eat!

10. 264Win

264Win Monkey++

cheap cooking

We prepared for a days outing by heating the thermos with boiling water filling with soup or broth adding rice or noodles and letting it cook, by lunch time it was done and hot.b::

1. JC Refuge
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Dunerunner
  5. ditch witch
  6. Ganado
  7. Zimmy
  8. chelloveck
  9. Ganado
  10. Ganado
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid