10 cent survival knife

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Tango3, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

2. fortunateson

fortunateson I hate Illinois Nazis!

Clever, but your thumb is in contact with the serrated edge!
    Needs to reduce the serrated area.

3. sharpeblades

sharpeblades Monkey+

Hack saw knife

There was an artical in out door life magizine a couple mounth,s ago on this same hacksaw knife

4. pcc

pcc Monkey+

Cool, thanks for the link. I've got some broken blades in the basement to try this on.

5. pcc

pcc Monkey+

Ok, here's what I've got. I used a reciprocating saw blade instead of a hacksaw blade. These blades are much thicker and stiffer than hacksaw blades. Out of my used blades I also chose Milwaukee over the dewalt blades. Again, the Milwaukee blades were thicker and stiffer than the dewalt blades I have.

I used a bench grinder and dremel tool to shape it. If you haven't tried the quick detachable wheels for your dremel you really need to, I probably would have broken off at least 3 maybe more of the little bolts that thread into the standard mandrel. With the quick attachment I had no problems whatsoever.

Using the reciprocating saw blades the thumb placement area cover on the serated part that FS brought up above was even more important so I wrapped the handle with trot line.

I used an old knife I keep in the basement for misc cutting to get the shape.

Here it is, didn't turn out to bad for a just under an hours work including paint and wrap.

what I started with
    [​IMG]

Pretty much done, yeah I know I need to repaint it with something else.
    [​IMG]

6. KHAN

KHAN Monkey+++

Very nice! Have to give that a go on a future day off. Sounds like a good project once winter sets in.

7. The_Metatron

The_Metatron Monkey+

That would finish it

You're right about that. I'd think all he'd have to do is use that sander to grind the teeth off in an area where you'd rest your thumb.

I never thought about using a hacksaw blade this way. Clever indeed.

8. sticks65

sticks65 Monkey++

I made a few a couple of years back for my survival tin,but I don't carry a survival tin anymore so I keep one on my desk in the office as a letter opener.

Fun to make though and Im sure they would come in usfull if that all you had at the time of need.

9. fortunateson

I plagiarized PCC (take that as a compliment ;)

Used a blade from a keyhole saw(I think. It was lying around, so not sure). I was going to put wooden scales on it but figured that para-cord would be more helpful in a survival sit.

Mostly done on a bench grinder. Started with a belt sander, but found the bench grinder easier to manage.

Having some trouble getting it really sharp. Any suggestions are welcome.
    IMGP4170.JPG

10. Jeckyl

Jeckyl Monkey+

Definately useful idea and cost friendly. Thanks

11. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I "saved" ( ok "scrounged") a lot of old broken blades from the shop's metal band saw. Even though the blades snapped, they are still sharp and still cut right thru steel! I'm going to punch some holes in the ends of a couple that will fit nicely into the wood saw's "bow" frames I have for trees and limbs....
    I am working on making aluminum handles for a couple more!
    Keep those old blades!

12. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

You can also use the hole in the end of a hacksaw blade to run a rivet through to pivot on and fold a heated piece of PVC pipe around and make a simple folding/pocket knife. Wont lock open or closed but a little tension and they work OK for little stuff.

13. fortunateson

I always thought that a bandsaw blade could make a wicked weapon.
    Put a handle on one end and use it like a whip!
    Absolutely terrifying.

14. regunner

regunner Monkey+

very cool little knife ill have to try that

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7