WTS/WTT: Premium Woven Kevlar and Custom Armor

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Trade' started by 009.5, Nov 11, 2011.

1. 009.5

009.5 Monkey+

WTS/WTT: Custom Kevlar Armor

Alrighty, so you have everything in case of TEOTWAKI: tools, ammo, food. But what is the item most survivors say they wished they'd had when interviewed?

Body Armor.

If you get good material, it is imperishable, so makes a great investment. Stock up, stash it in your gear, get some for family members. For the cost of a few cups of coffee, you can add viable ballistic protection to your kit. The surplus material is great for, but not limited to:

-Briefcase, backpack, or car seat armor
    -Uparmoring existing gear
    -Spall guards for rifle plates
    -Clearing pads for safely unloading pisols before cleaning
    -Action proving safety blankets (No more pulling that lanyard from behind a tree!)

FOR ALL MY LOW-COST SURPLUS PANELS, GO HERE:

http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum...-wts-wtt-bargain-kevlar-ballistic-fabric.html

Disclosure: I am an inventor and experimenter, and have been tinkering, building, and designing armor for about 12 years. This material is mine that I have acquired over the years. I am not a business- this is a hobby, a passion (my wife calls it something else), and I am selling this material because I can't possibly use everything that I have. So am selling it to you guys (originally had a bunch of shooting buddies and friends persistently nagging me, so there is the rest of the story).

I HAVE AN INFO PAGE HERE THAT GOES INTO GREATER DETAIL:

http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum/general-survival/30792-body-armor-good-bad-ugly.html#post184546

DISCLAIMER: THE END USER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY USE THIS MATERIAL IS PUT TO. IT IS UP TO THE END USER TO EVALUATE THE SUITABILITY OF THIS MATERIAL FOR WHATEVER APPLICATION THEY DECIDE ON. I ACCEPT NO LIABILITY FOR USE OR MISUSE OF THIS MATERIAL, AND NO WARRANTY IS EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED. NO RECOMMENDATIONS AS TO USE ARE EXPRESSED.

THE FAQ BELOW ADDRESSES COMMON QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SURPLUS PANELS I CARRY:

1.Q: What the heck is this stuff?
    A: This is surplus woven P-Aramid (Kevlar, in most cases) fabric. It was used in soft armor vests.
    2.Q: Doesn't this stuff expire?
    A: Good question. Studies have shown that woven P-Aramid, when properly maintained (i.e. not abused, kept away from UV light) will last indefinitely:

“NIJ tests failed to demonstrate any significant differences in 10-year-old armor, regardless of the extent of use or apparent physical condition”

“The warranty exists solely to limit the manufacturer's liability on the product and is not a reflection of the anticipated service life of the product.”

...Guide to Police Body Armor, National Law Enforcement and Corrections Technology Center (NLECTC)

You can also find an abstract here:

http://www.ncjrs.gov/App/publication...aspx?id=111390

3.Q: What is the NIJ rating on these panels.
    A: There is none. The NIJ (National Institute of Justice) will assign a rating to a completed piece of armor that they then certify against specific rounds. As this material is being sold strictly AS IS, no NIJ rating whatsoever is claimed. However, some research will provide you with equivalencies of approximately how many layers of Kevlar will stop a given round. NO WARRANTY IS EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, NO RECOMMENDATIONS AS TO END USE EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED.
    4.Q: Do you have a piece of material that will fit X type of armor that I already have?
    A: It is possible, but not likely. The pieces I have are from many different manufacturers over many years. The pictures and dimensions given with each piece can help you find something similar.
    5.Q: Will you make me X?
    A: While I do offer customization services, the liability for their use rests strictly and explicitly with the end user. Customized pieces will also cost more due to my labor. The surplus panels are priced low to give the DIY a source of material for projects.
    6.Q: Is this material legal to purchase/own for civilians?
    A: As I am not a lawyer, I cannot give legal advice. However, at this time in the U.S., the ownership and purchasing of body armor and body armor material is completely legal.
    7.Q: Can you ship this to me in (Country X) where I am stationed?
    A: While I fully support getting as much of this material into the hands of our fighting men and women, the US Department of State restricts and forbids shipping this material overseas without an export permit. This includes APOs, unfortunately. If you are a soldier, and would like some of this material for a DIY sewing project, contact me and we can figure something out that does not violate the export restrictions.
    8.Q: Why is this material so inexpensive?
    A: Well, it is material that I have had for a few years as test material for projects. I don't need all of it, and would like to share it at an affordable price with others that might need it.
    9.Q: How big are these panels?
    A: They range from Medium to Large, with most being LARGE in this batch.
    10.Q: What condition are the panels?
    A: Most are in near new appearing condition, but range from Fair to Excellent. Fair may have cosmetic blemishes and surface flaws, Good will typically have an age darkened look on the first layer, Excellent will be virtually free of cosmetic defects, and New is indistinguishable from brand new.
    11.Q: Will this material stop rifle rounds?
    A: NO! Rifle rounds are a special threat that requires special armor (hard plates) to stop. This material can be used IN CONJUNCTION with rifle armor to provide additional protection, but should never be worn with the assumption that it will stop rifle projectiles. It won't.
    12.Q: If I want to shoot this material for fun, what is the recommended method?
    A: Make sure you place the panels on a yielding backing (sandbag, clay, rigid foam) to get the best results. Soft armor requires a firm backing with "give" to mimic the human body. Shooting this material while free-hanging or against a hard surface will most likely result in skewed results. THESE PANELS ARE GREAT FUN TO SHOOT!
    13.Q: I want Spectra or Goldflex panels- why don't you offer these?
    A: Because vests made with these materials are dangerous, and I will not sell this material. Make sure that when you are shopping for armor, you only buy 100% WOVEN P-ARAMID VESTS! No exceptions. I don't care that they say NIJ certified, tests by DocGKR, whom I have the utmost respect for, have shown significant weaknesses in Spectra and Goldflex laminates. These weaknesses include:

-Extremely poor contact shot performance- a contact shot will melt right through these vests, while woven P-Aramid will withstand multiple contact shots without failure. This includes Goldflex, that while Aramid based, IS LAMINATED WITH A PLASTIC FILM(!)

-Extremely short lifespan- Laminates will delaminate with regular wear, meaning that they will lose much of their protective ability after a very short time. As mentioned above, woven P-Aramid can remain viable for decades given minimal care.

-Heat sensitivity- Spectra in particular can lose most or all of it's protective properties when exposed to heat. Heating the Spectra laminates above 180 Degrees F (about the temperature in your car trunk on a hot day) causes the Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene fibers (UHMWPE) that make up the vest to irreversibly revert to simple Polyethylene. The same material that your average milk jug is made of. Personally, I don't like the idea of wearing a milk jug vest and wondering if it will stop bullets.

-Breathability- Well, laminates have none. Think of wrapping yourself with plastic film. Woven P-Aramid laminates WILL breathe and allow more cooling of your body.

-Zylon- This requires a note all on its own. Friends don't let friends wear Zylon. Originally thought to be the next generation of body armor fabric, this material is a ticking time bomb, even worse than Spectra. It will react with moisture to form an acid that degrades the ballistic performance of the fibers. Ensure that any vest you buy (Ebay vests especially) are FREE OF: Zylon, Spectra, Goldflex, or any laminates. Some Ebay vests are cheap because they contain these materials. Insist on woven P-Aramid- nothing else.

DUE TO MANY REQUESTS, I AM NOW OFFERING CUSTOM ARMOR AGAIN.

*TO SIMPLIFY PRICING, I WILL BEAT OR MATCH ANY CUSTOM ARMOR MAKER OUT THERE- TYPICAL PRICE AVERAGES $1 PER SQ. IN. FOR LEVEL IIIA EQUIVALENT CUSTOM PANELS*

CUSTOM ARMOR PRICES ARE AS FOLLOWS:

11 or fewer layers: .06 per square inch X number of layers

LIGHT (12 Layers): .70 cents per square inch
    MEDIUM (20 Layers): .85 cents per square inch
    HEAVY (26 Layers): 95 cents per square inch

27 or more layers POA

Cordura Nylon shell, add .03 to base price.
    Nomex Shell, add .06 to base price.
    CarbonX Shell, POA
    Keprotec Shell, POA

DUE TO CONSTRUCTION METHODS, I CAN ONLY DO SQUARE, SIMPLE TRAPEZOIDAL, OR RECTANGULAR PANELS.

Examples of past work:

th_SpallGuardFront.

th_SpallGuardRear.

Spall Guards- These are for use with steel plates to prevent high velocity fragments (Spall) from hitting the face and throat of the wearer. 7 layers of Kevlar in a customized pocket that attaches to your plates. $50 for one, $90 per pair.

th_BicepArmor.

Bicep Armor- For integration with CIRAS or OTV type carriers (24 layers, OD shell and velcro attachments). Optional plate pockets. Can be customized for use in DAPS/DBT carriers. See above for typical cost.

th_PlateBacker.

Plate Backers- this example was sized to fit an Eagle plate carrier, and also configured to serve as emergency backup armor when used alone. (24 layers) Included hook and loop attachment points, elastic straps, and 5X8 plate pocket. See above for base price. Please email or IM for options pricing.

BY SPECIAL ORDER- 5" X 8" Titanium trauma plates are available. Very limited supply. 2.1mm RMI Titanium plates, offered in the following configurations:

th_TitaniumPlates.

Flat, backed with 20 layers of level II Kevlar, wrapped in woven Kevlar. Pricing is $125 + shipping

Single Curved, backed with 20 layers of level II Kevlar, wrapped in woven Kevlar. Pricing is $150 + shipping

Please allow time for delivery, as these are semi-custom pieces.

NO WARRANTY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, END USER ASSUMES ANY AND ALL LIABILITY FOR USE OF THESE MATERIALS.

USPS Money order only!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7