SHTF gun whats your ideal gun?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by slug36, Mar 2, 2010.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slug36

slug36 mil surplus junkie

ok guys, in a real SHTF scenario. what would your ideal fire arm be??
    i have a saiga 308 that would work good. but, i also have a horde of other nice rifles. there are at leas 10 bolt actions in various military calibers, semi-auto rifles any where from .22-8mm mauser. break over, pump and semi auto 12 ga's, and a few hand guns. if you had to hunker down and defen your familys from harm. what would you use??

2. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

Re: SHTF gun, whats your ideal gun??

A Maverick 88 turned tactical with an ATI Adjustable stock, cut down to 19", TruGlo turkey sights on the rib, 5 in, 5 on the stock , and 15 rounds on a Blackhawk sling, and my .45. If I have to, I'll bring the AR on a sling.

3. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

The single best all-around firearm would be a good reliable 12 gauge shotgun. By selecting your ammo wisely, it will take everything from squirrels to big game, and provide defense out to a respectable distance. It can breach doors, and stop vehicles. Ammo is widely available anywhere that sells ammo. Prices can be cheap.
    It's the JEEP of firearms...... ;)

4. RevJammer

RevJammer Monkey+++

All of them.....

RJ

5. slug36

i've been working on that too!!!

6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

My Mossy 500 12 gauge has the full slugger barrel, an 18 1/2" smoothy to swap, and can alternate between pistol grip and stock in a minute. I have a MOLLE sheath/holster for it and easily stows on the pack.

For main combat, I would choose an AK or M4, backup would be the trusty Springfield XD-9.

For various support, I would issue out the .22 long rifles, have the team defend in intersecting lines of fire, take up sniper positions, and await for the carnage to ensue.

7. azurevirus

azurevirus Monkey++

Probably depend on my enviroment I will be in mostly as to which of my guns I would have to take ..but overall as the best defensive weapon if I were protecting my home..12 ga

8. pcc

pcc Monkey+

If I was forced to pick one gun only in a [shtf] it would be my Arsenal AK. The AK has got to be one of if not the most reliable semi auto rifles ever made. Ammo is plentiful and you can carry a lot of it. The 7.62x39 has decent knockdown power and accuracy within reasonable ranges.

I was watching one of those weapons shows on the military channel and I think they said that more people and elephants, yes elephants have been killed by ak's than any other firearm in modern history.

9. Northwoods

Northwoods Monkey+++

An FAL...robust like an AK with a 308 punch...

10. NavyChief

NavyChief Monkey+

I'll stick with my M-4... It is a weapon I am familiar with and carry on a daily basis. Beretta 96FS for close in work.

11. fortunateson

fortunateson I hate Illinois Nazis!

Just saw a segment on Shooting USA on how to clean an AR. Holy cr*p.
    Suffice to say, it confirmed my membership in the "AK for life" club.

Anyway, back to the subject.
    AK to keep folks out of the perimeter.
    10/22 - same purpose in the hands of wife and kids.
    Pistol on persons at all times in case someone makes it through a door.

That's for defense.

For hunting:
    10/22, rem 870 and sporterized Mauser - depending on game.

12. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

For basic's I'd pick an over and under rifle/shotgun combo....Savage 24,
    .30-.30 over a 12 ga. possibly...
    But, IF I have to have a weapon JUST for defense, I'd pick a .308 M1, or an older 1917 .30-06.

13. slug36

Dragonfly, you are a man after my own heart, i love savage/stevens and 1917 rifles.

as for the rest of the family, i have been bringing my better half to the range with me. lets say she isn't skeered to try the full power battle rifles i have in my collection. the only one she doesnt care for so far is a swiss k31. she likes my saiga 308, egyptian hakim, mossberg mav88, saiga 12, & i cant keep her from my yugo sks. she didnt care for my dads semi auto m16. next i need to start working on the kids. last year i tryed to teach them on a 10/22, but the lenght of pull was to long for them. tryed to get a tapo stock, still to long. so im breaking them in on air soft.

14. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Re: SHTF gun, whats your ideal gun?

I am going to have to go with the venerable .22 LR in any format that you can shoot reliably and accurately. I can keep the zombies pinned down and put dinner on the table, and have enough ammunition to never worry about running out. It is simple to improvise an effective supressor for and can then be used in an urban environment for poaching pigeons, squirrels and stray cats without raising the attention that another weapon might.

15. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

Wally's has some CCI 22 Short (710FPS, sub-sonic, low noise) for about $7/pack of 100. Seems like a reasonable way to keep from freaking your neighbors out when getting a pigeon or dove (or pesky dog). The 22LR will probably keep most 2-legged pests out of the garden too.

I watched a WWII documentary about German paratroopers invading The Netherlands (?) -- evidently the deafening blast from their rifles scared a lot of defenses into surrendering. Makes me wonder if a very loud weapon wouldn't help -- even if you're trying to hold position.

16. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I'd love to find an older .22 bolt action magazine fed rifle....
    Convert the thing to accept "modified" mag's to hold say 25 to 50 rounds.
    I don't like the cyclic noise from the semi's, but I would sure use the heck out of a bolt action with subsonic rounds! Either the Remington brand or the Aguila's with the shortened case, but heavier 60 grain bullets.
    Besides, carrying ammo for the .22 is a lot nicer and lighter, than the bigger heavier calibers.

17. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

Just chosing one gun is like just chosing one tool to work on your truck! They all have different uses. But for my location and situation I'd chose my 30-30. I can run rounds through it pretty quick. You can reload 100grain bullets for small game. 150 gr. bullets will have no trouble taking down any large game around here 2 or 4 legged. Most shots around here are under 50 yards so range isn't a problem.

OGM

18. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

AK in .223. AK reliability, mass ammo availability... With good shot placement can take small to medium game.

Sure I would prefer a .30cal but 7.62x39 would not be common post SHTF, especially if confronting hostiles (worst thing you could do). .308/7.62x51 would probably be available to some extent...but guys that carry that tend to be sharpshooters, or machinegunners...

19. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

AR

I'd also have my Ceiner 22LR conversion.
    5.56/.223 and .22LR in one unit

You should add a poll to this

20. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Not a bad idea mags
    Mine right now is a pile of m4's
    soon to be SOCOM M1a's

1. AgentPickle
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner