A couple problems with Serpa holsters....

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Hispeedal2, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I recently saw this on another forum and thought I would pass it along. The trigger guard lock mechanism is an unsafe design IMHO. A lot of people will say that training can overcome this, but I wouldn't depend on that in high stress situations. This is especially true of any gun without a safety. The pressure exerted to open the lock is transferred to the trigger / trigger guard once the gun is clear of the holster. It's an AD waiting to happen:

YouTube - ‪I shot myself! NEGLIGENT DISCHARGES HAPPEN!‬‏

I have never been a fan of the Serpa. That comes from seeing a Serpa locked up from gravel entering the lock mechanism. That is a poor design IMHO.
    YouTube - ‪Blackhawk SERPA holster, failures and criticisms.‬‏

There are much better holsters that don't require lock manipulation with your trigger finger and have locks that aren't prone to failure. If you need that level of retention, check out Safariland and Blade-Tech. I can personally attest to the Safariland. The Blade-Tech holster has rave reviews as well.

Now that I am done with my public safety announcement have a good day.

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I like my Uncle Mike's Kydex. Thumb release, ugly as sin, but more than adequate for the 1911. Does not depend on belt tension for release, strictly a one hand operation with good retention against a perp grab and run.

I agree that a release operated by the trigger finger is poor, and training might very well not kick in under a surprise.

3. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I have used one of the Blackhawk Serpa holsters for a couple of years heavy competitive shooting with no problems or malfunctions. I did use a heat gun to bent the lock outward to make it faster to disengage. I do not believe a Glock or any other striker type pistol would be unsafe in one. I shoot a 1911, carry it cocked and locked. Pull the trigger all you want and nothing happens until the safety is disengaged. I think mad moms can find a reason to put bicycle helmets on all of us ; Booo!

4. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

When I first read a thread introducing the 1st video, my thought was "how do you shoot yourself in the leg with a 1911?" Well, changing up holster types will do it.

I think another take away from this is to try to stick to one holster type. The same holds true for weapons I guess.

No doubt, that guy was lucky. That sure looked painful.

5. hank2222

hank2222 Monkey+++

Me i carryed a 1911 so long it second nature to keep the fringer off the trigger and the thumb under the safety intill everything is lined up on the target then move those two unit into the firing prostion ..

But i'm a one brand type of guy when it comes to Socalled Plastic holster and that Blade-Tech holster ..Leather is a couple of people because of useing there leather holster for so long that they are like family ..

6. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

I'm with Sea I have 2 and did the same mod, no problems and I'm in the dirt, rafting and no worries .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I'll stick with my Versa Max II.

8. Pyrrhus

Pyrrhus Monkey+++

I have a couple of Serpa CQCs and I really like them. To me, hitting the release lends itself to positioning my trigger finger alongside the trigger guard. In other words, it feels very natural to hit the release, draw my weapon and present it while keeping my finger "straight and off the trigger". It was intuitive from the time I started using them, but I have other holsters I like as well as the CQC.

I have read where some have claimed that the locking mechanism can get jammed up with dirt. I guess if you are rolling around in the mud, but I can attest to the fact that sand won't do it.

Every piece of gear will have those who love it and those who hate it. That's what eBay is for. Use what works for you.

9. Opinionated

Opinionated Monkey+

I see both sides of this. I'm a 1911 guy that has used this holster. And I've never had a problem with it besides crap getting stuck under the paddle so it could not be pressed far enough to release the pistol.

The second time that happened, I threw it in the garbage and bought a Safariland. Never looked back.

Hispeedal2 likes this.
  10. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

I have had a couple of the Serpa holsters that I have used and liked them. I use one for my glock 23 and it works fine but I am a 1911 fan and thats what I carry most of the time and I use a leather holster for it I have had for years with a thumb break. I have always had the worry that something would happen to the release when SHTF and my gun would be stuck in the hoster. Not saying that would happen but my luck if it can happen, I will be the one it happens to.

11. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I prefer my Biachi 2g speed rig.... I wish they still made them...

12. shrapnel

shrapnel Monkey+

I used the serpa CQC with both a Glock 17 and a 1911. I like that holster but the fact the release lever can be jammed by debris or snow, rendering the firearm unavailable in an emergency is troublesome... As far as shooting oneself under stress, I believe it has happened with every kind of holsters!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7