Question about Camp Carbines

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Gafarmboy, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Gafarmboy

Gafarmboy Monkey+++

Have been thinking about purchasing one of these..I know, I know it is a high point, but I have shot one of the 9mm carbines and I was VERY impressed.

Hi-Point Firearms: 4595TS Carbines

Anyone have any input...
    I am going with the .45 cal due to that is my side arm.

Gafarmboy

Cephus and Kingfish like this.
  2. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Can'y say about the .45...I did have the 9mm though. It was fun to shoot, sort of like a .30 M1 carbine! Not a lot of range but it was not really designed to be that way. It was on that, that I could easily teach people to shoot without the fear of a big resounding muzzle blast or any real recoil! Kids all loved it, and the wife wasn't afraid to shoot it.

Kingfish likes this.
  3. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I have the 9mm Carbine and love it - it has never failed or choked. Fairly accurate, and dead-nuts reliable.
    A buddy has the .40SW version and likes it.
    We are both lusting for the .45 version. I just wish it would take 1911 magazines - I have three 10-rounders that would be perfect for it!

Kingfish likes this.
  4. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

Ruger 10/22 carbine, best investment in my money.

Kingfish likes this.
  5. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

I've shot the 9mm and 40cal, they wher fun to shoot and we ran a couple hundred rounds with no problems. At around 25 to 40 yard not a bad group on the paper and close enough to where my sight was that the inch or so off could have been me because we were rapid fire. Now the older one's I thought was a pain to clean but the range time made up for it.

Cephus and Kingfish like this.
  6. Seawolf1090

Hasn't got the punch of a 9mm or .45 though........ ;)

Now, if you are a FAST expert shotist........ [stirpot]

The biggest limitation of the H-P Carbine is it's limited mag capacity. It direly NEEDS a 30-rounder.......

Kingfish likes this.
  7. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

M-1 Carbine.... best camp carbine made....

8. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

LoL Watch it Bub! I already saw one at Walmart I liked & I'm trying to resist the urge to get it!! Don't need more prodding in that Direction!! :D

Kingfish and dragonfly like this.
  9. Wolfgang2000

Wolfgang2000 Monkey++

I have pistol caliber carbines in each of my pistol calibers, except 32acp. they are 22LR, 22MAG, 9mm both marlin camp and the keltec sub 2000, and 357 mag, Marlin 1894.

They are fun guns. For the urban/ suburbanite that is not a "gun person", it will do well for their long arm. But a longer barrel doesn't not turn a pistol round into a rifle. It helps, but any intermediate, rifle round will beat it.

Logistical it's great. Example: All my SD guns shoot 9 MM and take the Glock magazine. That includes the 2 carbines. The only carbine that I've taken out with me since I moved to the country has been my Kel-Tec 2000. It's compact folded size makes it unique, and can be carried when no other long arm can.

I know people that swear by the Hi Point. When they were $99.00 new I have several friends that bought one just because. If that tickles your fancy go for it. It should be fun to shoot.

Kingfish likes this.
  10. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I had a Marlin 45 acp camp carbine. I was not impressed. I wanted a Ruger .44 magnum carbine but they were not in production at the time. Used ones were just not out there back in the early 90's when I had mine. I let my ex wife take it with her after our divorce. I really thought very little of it. Kingfish

11. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

The biggest drawback to the 9mm camp carbine was the lack of a bigger mag!
    I thought about having a few made, but I sold it before that happened....
    Paid $149 for mine, and I sold it for $200. (used).
    Now days I wish I hadn't sold my 2 M-1's. I miss them babies!
    Talk about a sweet rifle! 110 g.r soft points made for a lot of "meat in the pot" on cottontail rabbits!

Kingfish likes this.
  12. Alpha Dog

I've been looking at the Rossi remake of the gun from the old westeren the riffleman. They sell it in 357mag and 44mag and 45 long colt. I fell in love with it at a gun shop about a month ago just didn't have the extra $375.00 at the time but I shall have it...

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=690><TBODY><TR><TD height=44><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=650 align=center><TBODY><TR><TD height=10 colSpan=3></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD align=center></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=center><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=650><TBODY><TR><TD width=300>Ranch Hand

</TD><TD align=right>

</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=8 cellPadding=0 width=650 align=center><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2 align=left><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" bgColor=#ffffff><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE align=left><TBODY><TR><TD>
    Model RH92-57203 | 45 LC - NEW
    </TD></TR><TR style="PADDING-LEFT: 20px; MARGIN-LEFT: 15px"><TD vAlign=middle width=216 align=center> RH92_57203_012. </TD></TR><TR><TD height=5 vAlign=top colSpan=3 align=center> spacer-e6e6e6. </TD></TR><TR><TD>
    Model RH92-50121 | .44 MAG​
    </TD></TR><TR style="PADDING-LEFT: 20px; MARGIN-LEFT: 15px"><TD vAlign=middle width=216 align=center> Ranch_Hand_2. </TD></TR><TR><TD height=5 vAlign=top colSpan=3 align=center> spacer-e6e6e6. </TD></TR><TR><TD>
    Model RH92-57121 | .45 COLT​
    </TD></TR><TR style="PADDING-LEFT: 20px; MARGIN-LEFT: 15px"><TD vAlign=middle width=216 align=center> Ranch_Hand_2. </TD></TR><TR><TD height=5 vAlign=top colSpan=3 align=center> spacer-e6e6e6. </TD></TR><TR><TD>
    Model RH92-51121 | .38SPL/.357MAG​
    </TD></TR><TR style="PADDING-LEFT: 20px; MARGIN-LEFT: 15px"><TD vAlign=middle width=216 align=center> Ranch_Hand_2. </TD></TR><TR><TD height=5 vAlign=top colSpan=3 align=center> spacer-e6e6e6. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD align=left></TD><TD align=right><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD></TD><TD align=right>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TR><TD height=50 vAlign=middle align=center></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Kingfish likes this.
  13. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I would have a Ruger .44 mag semi auto if after market magazines in 10 or 20 round were available but being tube fed they only took 5. KF

14. Seawolf1090

The new Ruger .44Mag Carbine uses a rotary mag - imagine the 10-22 on steroids! Now....... imagine a 'Steel Lips' mag in .44Mag, thirty rounds...... ;)

I'm betting they'd sell like crazy!

15. jungatheart

jungatheart Beginner's Mind

Only complaint I have for my Hi-Point 9mm carbine is the accuracy. I can just keep it on an 8x11 sheet of paper at 100 yards. That's scoped and shooting off a bench rest.

Other than that, it's a fun gun and you can get lots of accessories for it pretty cheap.

Alpha Dog likes this.
  16. Alpha Dog

The highpoint carbine is more for 25 to 50 yard's my tactical carbine I zero it at about 25 yards because I use a red dot and personally wouldn't want to depend on a red dot over 50 yards.

Cephus and jungatheart like this.
  17. Seawolf1090

My SHTF Defense plan is to give the Hi-Point Carbine to a lady or younger person in our group, more to keep the Horde's heads down while we hunters and ex-GI guys take the money shots with the bigger scoped boomers.
    Basic 'layered defense' stragety..... ;)

18. sixfifty

sixfifty Monkey+

I owned a Hi-Point C9 comp. pistol (a compensated version no longer made) and one of their first run of 995TS. Both of mine were flawless in operation and accurate for defensive use, the carbine was okay out to about 75 yds. which is about the max. distance for the round anyway. I still recommend them as a great value for my friends who are on limited budgets for a good starter set for home protection and plinking. I think Hi-Point is a fine weapon, although it is heavy and not that attractive, and the price point makes it very affordable.

I also had a Camp 45 carbine and found it to be kind of disappointing past 50 yards, although it is a well built and nice looking rig (not that the looks make a darn bit of difference).

19. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

id buy it, someone said it dont have the punch of a 9 or a .45 but you can get 25 or 30 round clips for it. you can put alotta lead into something.

20. GrandpaDave

GrandpaDave Monkey++

you might want to wait until the Taurus Carbine CT G2 comes out so you can compare the two... built from polymer lower (with build in magwell handguard) and aluminum lower. It has a 16" barrel and is chambered in 9mm (34+1 capacity), .40 S&W (15+1 capacity) and .45 ACP (10+1).

this is not a new gun for them... It's really taken off in the law enforcement communities of south and central America.... It's only now coming to the US... they did promise us this gun last year and we're still waiting to see it... they are taking pre orders... something like $625 ish...

Those real gun writers who've already got to play with them have nothing bad to say... other than maybe it's priced a little to high... still it's worth looking into

here's a link http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=6035

Gafarmboy and jungatheart like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7