Kelty Backpack ... opinion?

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by CrazySingleMom, Sep 26, 2010.

Tags:
  1. CrazySingleMom

CrazySingleMom Monkey+

Someone is offering to sell me a Kelty backpack .. for $25

No clue what model it is .. gonna try to post pics ..

Would like to know what ya'll think of this deal?

~R
    camera pics 021.JPG camera pics 022.JPG

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

See if you can pick out the model here -
    Backpacks | Kelty.com

Then you can find out retail from one of the outdoor shops like REI.

With all that and an eyeball on it to see what kind of shape it's really in, then the price becomes interesting.

3. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

I'd say it's decent price...

4. CrazySingleMom

CrazySingleMom Monkey+

Hmm .. it doesn't look like ANY of the external frame packs there ... I am going to try to set up a meeting to see it, however I know very little about the Kelty packs so not sure what to even look for or how to tell what size it is?
    Someone on another forum says it looks like its an older one?

Anyway ... would this make a good BOB/camping bag?

Thanks,
    ~R

5. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I own 2x Keltys. Both mine are military packs. No doubt, Kelty makes a great pack.

Any old Kelty frame pack is probably better with a heavy load than a simple day pack with no frame. Most everyone these days uses an internal frame pack. The only reason anyone still uses a external frame is for freighting or hauling out game. These days, the internal frame packs are made to detach and use for this purpose.

If on a budget, then an older frame pack may be a good choice. After all, I have used a government issued external frame pack for the better part of my life and hauled all kinds of loads for miles.

Just do a bit of research on the differences and be sure before you buy. Bugging out in general is a bad strategy (at least most everyone agrees). Bugging out, though, is a strategy that can't be overlooked. There are a number of scenarios that may lead to this being an only option. So, when weighing a purchase like this, also look at the bigger picture. Recreational uses also apply. $300 for an internal frame pack you would prefer not to use in SHTF and you won't use recreationally, doesn't make much sense. Completely ignoring the whole BOB strategy is a fallacy too.

Now that I have wasted all this room in this thread and not given you a clear answer.... I'm done. ;)

ETA: For sizing, try it on with a bit of weight. You want the kidney belt to ride just on top of your hip bones. Most the weight should be on your hips- not the shoulders. These days there are male and female sizes. There may not have been when that pack was made. Fit matters more than what gender the pack was meant for.

6. CrazySingleMom

CrazySingleMom Monkey+

Thank you! ... that is helpful ... wonder if I could convince the guy to let me stick the kiddo in there to try it on .. lol .. youngest is 45lbs and a skinny thing .. *grin*
    Seriously, I will take some stuff to drop in there to try it on though... thanks for the info.

~R

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

In wayback times, I used an open frame and simply loaded it with bags to suit the situation, and used a simple diamond hitch to keep everything in place. (Also trained with a concrete block on the frame, about 40 lbs. No more, ever again.)

Didn't have hip frames in those days either. Used a tump line instead, worked well on even ground. Not gonna do that again either.

8. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

There are a couple things you need to figure out for your Plan before you start purchasing supplies. I suggest Baby Steps

Is your current place survivable for short to medium term disruptions? Forget Total End Of The World for now given your budget and where you are in your preps.

Is there someplace that you'd rather be during some sort of SHTF event?

The reason I ask this is that the very definition of refugee is one who has been forced to leave their current (home, nation, country) because it has become unlivable. Refugees are people who have to flee with only what they can carry on their backs, hoping to get somewhere better.

Bugging Out is a defensive move rather than an offensive one; you are at a great disadvantage and usually reliant on luck or providence to somehow wander into a better place.

I think the idea of bugging out comes from Hollywood. Most doomsday flicks show people wandering down the road looking for someplace better. Headed East or headed West, etc. If there is somewhere you think would be better or more livable, why not consider going there now while you still have gasoline and a vehicle to fill with stuff. We are still living in the time of excess where most people throw away what others kill for. Use that to your advantage while you still can. Movement will be tough without gasoline.

The very best plan is to select a location that is totally viable for whatever you think we might be up against. Bugging in allows you ready access to all of your supplies. I do have some 'go bags' but they are for 'Bugging Home' or as a last ditch forced change in plans: wildfire or disease headed to my location. I do purchase camping supplies that can be double purposed if need be but I also like to back country backpack and camp with my family.

I applaud your efforts and vigor in getting yourself prepared but don't want to see you spin your wheels in the wrong direction.

Have a look at this: Backpack Fever by Duncan Long

9. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Well put. I was wondering how long it would take before someone posted that Duncan Long article.

10. CrazySingleMom

CrazySingleMom Monkey+

Interesting read that is ...

I am not planning to Bug Out at the slightest hint of trouble, in fact would much prefer to bug in since I'm in a pretty small town and have kiddos in tow. However I am trying to get some basic BOBs set up in case of such things as a house fire, or Tornado etc ... Also since we plan to start camping/hiking having decent bags to hold stuff in would be nice. I know several people within a few miles from me that we could get too (even on foot) in case we needed to leave home for some reason.

Thanks,
    ~R

11. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

That is a good plan.

The toughest part of this whole business of preparation is that we have to live with one foot in the real world unless you are like a few here that have gotten totally self sufficient/off grid now.

I have no problems with purchasing supplies for family recreation while also ear-marking that same gear for future possibilities. That said, external frame packs are pretty old school even though they were used for decades before internal frames came around. I, like Al, carried a USGI ALICE Pack medium around for a long time and it beat my kidneys with every step beyond 10 miles... The replacement pack that I use for backpacking and as a Bug Home or Bug Out cost around $600 but I wanted a pack that will live beyond me.

All good stuff and I'm glad you clarified your ideas.

12. CrazySingleMom

CrazySingleMom Monkey+

Well .. Since I really can't afford to spend $100+ on a new pack this deal is looking pretty good right now.

Also since this one is blue (my eldest's fav color) it may go to him once he is big enough (nearly 12 yrs old). If of course I find myself another one somewhere down the line.

I'm not in the best shape myself, but am working on that. I really wanna keep the kiddos from getting too lazy and start teaching them to carry loads. Right now all I have is regular civilian backbacks (no frame) for us to carry. Also due to space limits in them it leaves us no way to carry sleeping bags in or on them. I enjoy camping, and they do also so am planning to start doing some trips with them to get us all a bit more used to leaving conveniences behind for a time.

As for keeping one foot in the real world, I totally agree its a balance for sure to prep good, yet still live in the society thats here (for now anyway) I would love to be off the grid but can not afford to set up to live that way.

Personally (as a woman) I can't imagine carrying 80+lbs packs for those kinda hikes. However I know the human body is able to do a lot more then most people make theirs do. Hats off to ya'll who have done that.

~R

13. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

With that criteria and the fact that you live in tornado alley, I say go for it. It sounds like you have thought through it and it's a logical step.

Let us know how it works out. Also, start a thread with what you decide to put into it.

14. CrazySingleMom

CrazySingleMom Monkey+

I will let ya'll know one way or another :)
    I have a few things gathered already, but will post a list of contents also once I get it going :D

Thanks!
    ~R

15. CrazySingleMom

CrazySingleMom Monkey+

Ok ... I got it! ... tag says its a " W'S TREKKER "
    Fits well, and looks to be large enough for now.
    I will start a new thread once I get it packed up.

Thanks,
    ~R

1. Coyote Ridge
  2. 3M-TA3
  3. H.I.S Survival
  4. chelloveck
  5. off grid survival
  6. hollisticprepper
  7. hillbill
  8. Hanzo
  9. TheJackBull
  10. Brokor