50 Common Interview Questions w/ answers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by melbo, Jan 15, 2008.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Found this blog today. The questions are good but the comments are great.
    50 Common Interview Questions

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

The initial article was only so-so. The followups in the blog were far better. I'd add that you MUST know ahead of time what the salary range is to avoid underselling yourself if asked what you want. Best answer I've used is "industry standard" for the position. Of course, I already knew what the range was. One time, I undersold badly; to the company's credit, I got a hell of a nice bump in 6 months.

One thing you might ask is how recently the company has adjusted the salary structure to meet industry norms, it is overdue if more than three years. After that nice bump, they revised the structure, and I got another one. Can't help wondering what I left on the table initially.

Be aware also that most outfits have a range, and bring you in somewhere near mid range to allow for bumps later without promotions. If they bring you on board in the 3rd or 4th quartile, the space for bumps is limiting. Try for the 1st or 2nd quartile. The money should be the same either way.

Never fail to request an evaluation in 6 months. Feedback is good on both sides of the table.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7