How do I deal with a Gun Hating Officer?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Blackjack, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

As some know, I've recently begun work as a corrections officer at a state prison. Today I (and fellow newbies) qualified with the AR15 carbines and Rem 870 shotguns. One of my fellow officers, a female aged approx 22, was nervous as she had never fired a gun before. I reassured her that it was no big deal, and she would enjoy it.

Boy was I wrong!

From the very first shot with the AR, she began crying. 80 rounds and 2 hits on the cardboard later she was extremely upset.

I later spoke with her about it. I very gently asked why she was so upset. She emphatically replied that she hated guns, and that there is no reason for anybody ever to use or even own a gun.

After my initial shock over this statement, I told her that right across the fence were over 2000 reasons (inmates) to own and be able to use a gun. I said that self defense was a great reason. I asked... What if someone breaks into your apartment intent on raping and killing you or your children, will you just pray for the cops to show up? Then I told her that tens of millions of people enjoy recreation with guns, and told her that every fall, I fill my freezer with some of the healthiest food on the planet with my guns. So there are lots of good reasons to own guns.

She just maintained that guns were just bad and she doesn't want anything to do with them. I walked away absolutely stunned.

So my question...
    How should I approach this challenge? Or is it just way to irrational and better to leave it alone?

2. FalconDance

FalconDance Neighborhood Witch

Sems to me there's something more to it than "guns are bad" to her. Wonder what she bases that on?

Did she think that as a corrections officer, she'd be able to talk criminals out of mischief? [dunno]

And how in the world did she get to be a corrections officer and never fired a gun at all to start with?

~Falcon

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Leave it alone, says me. She will NOT make it thru quals, (or if she does) the first exposure to the population will either run her off or she'll become a statistic. More interesting a problem is finding out why she wanted to go the officer route and not the social worker route. Sounds like a hidden desire to "help" the disadvantaged(?) downtrodden(?) victims of prejudiced justice(?) somehow. Prison guard is not the way to go with that motivation. But I think you knew that --

4. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

some people do not deserve to compete in the food chain

5. Paradoc

Paradoc Retired Combat Medic

I am a CO, and the ones that can't qual don't make it through our academy. You must qualify annually and for some positions every 6 months.

I would stay away from her, sounds like she will leave soon enough. There are a ton of bleeding heart libtards that join agencies with the delusion of actually rehabilitating inmates, they soon get ran off by the reality of prison life.

6. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Of 7 new officers, 3 had never fired a gun, a 4th had only fired a pistol. The remaining 3 of us are ex-army. Doesn't really say much for the civilian population and firearm ownership does it?

7. ghrit

Gotta add, my opinion and mine only. Your seniority is not enough for you to take this on. Highly recommend steering welll clear.

8. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

That's the way I'm currently leaning....... heavily.

9. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Amen Brother!

10. poacher

poacher Monkey+++ Founding Member

BlackJack.

I would strongly suggest that you not only steer clear you run away at full speed. She is a liability to herself and the class. Once it is determined that she can't qualify she will probably be gone. The closer you seem to be to her the more it will put a negitive light on you. That may not be the case in your class but by and large it is. Lastly if she has an issue this big it probably isn't the only one she has.
    I'm going to make a wag but I'd say like Paradoc she believes she can really rehab these animals. As such she is going to be way to gentle when it comes to hands on and if you try to help her too much she's going to want to be your partner because you will do her share. Which when it comes to kicking butt means you are not only on your own but if she decides you were to rough on one of the inmates she may very well turn you in.
    Pick the hill you want to die on but make sure it's a worthy fight.
    Take care Be safe Poacher.

11. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Redefine. She's not just a gun-hating officer, she's a gun hating girl. Just as above, I'd steer clear of her, too.

12. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

Give her something to think about:

Follow her home
    Break into her house when she is asleep
    Scare the living duty out of her by holding her child, cut the phone lines

Then pull off your hat and turn on the lights.....just joking to show you why you wished you would have had a gun.

On second thought, pray you never have to have this woman back you up when you are on duty.

13. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

She will probably self-eliminate by not qualifying, but if she cries while shooting you do not want her on your shift. cant imagine she'd last long in training .Some senior officers or instructors will be as aghast as we are ...and will find something else for her to do at a headquarters somewhere. Shocking and incomprehensible...Sounds like you handled it well.

14. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

She shouldn't have gotten that far. You can never trust her, if you work with her, and get in a situation that requires force, she will freeze. Don't associate with her, act surprised when she comes back.

15. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Update... 2 days later.

Today she froze up while having to practice handcuffing a fellow officer.

Now I'm really concerned.

16. ghrit

I don't think you need worry unless she winds up on your shift. Betcha not.

17. poacher

poacher Monkey+++ Founding Member

It sounds as if she has an issue with anything associated with actual force. This lady is so far over her head in this profession she's going to need a rope and a flashlight to start finding her way out. I would be suprised if she actually finishes the academy. God help ya if she makes it out to the floor. Just make sure you are as far away as possible from her, she's going to make a corpse of herself and more than likely someone else.
    Take care (watch yer six) Be safe Poacher.

18. sheen_estevez

sheen_estevez Monkey+++

Run Forrest Run

I would also stay clear, besides getting into verbal bashing I'd really hate to be around here when TSHTF, hope you're not on the same shift

19. andrew414

andrew414 Howdy.

I cry while shooting.... My 1911's 3.5lb sear/disconnector and trigger break just bring tears to my eyes.

[touchdown]

but seriously, stay away from her, she'll either A-D into your leg or your supervisors will group you with her.

Andrew

20. WTA

WTA Monkey+++

You think this female is bad? I left active duty navy after about 10 years and went in the Army reserves. Obviously I didn't have to go to boot camp again but I'm really glad I didn't. I don't know if they were teaching the reserves different or what but out of almost 100 people in our company they made me and the one other former squid small arms instructors because we were the only ones that qualified expert at the range. I had several years of pretty intensive training on small arms from shooting them to building them and the other guy had only qualified yearly to carry a duty pistol. We were the best though.
    I saw females cry at the range because their fingernails were too long to work the trigger. When I yelled at them to fire the weapon they just broke out in tears. Even though nails past the tip of your finger are against regs (always has been and always will be) the CO would not allow me to tell them to cut them.

I had another female get her hair caught in an M60.
    That was the funniest thing I ever saw almost. She cried like crazy when we all got out our knives offering to get it unstuck for her.
    Another female actually did have to cut it loose.

I'm sure glad most females are good with weapons but there sure are a few out there that really make you wonder if it's worth it having them in the service at all.
    I trusted the ones in my platoon at least. They didn't leave the range till they were experts also.

With this one I would definitely report this to higher ups and do all I could to correct the situation. Keeping her around in a prison is not an option. It would be bad for her health and everyone elses around her.

What's she gonna do when an inmate throws some foul smelling stuff on her from his cell, You probably know what I mean, or one grabs her from behind? Crying about it isn't gonna do a thing except make it worse.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7