Urban BOBs

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by gadinort, Sep 15, 2007.

1. gadinort

gadinort Monkey+++

I've been enjoying the threads regarding emergency kits/BOBs. But I'm curious if you all would recommend different items for a BOB that would be based in a large metropolitan area, like Manhattan.

I live in northern New Jersey and most of my work is at what many consider prime terrorism targets (i.e. airports, tunnels, bridges, WTC, etc).

I recently put together a BOB that I take everywhere with me. So far it consists of: bottled water, granola bars, first-aid kit, whistle, flashlight, knife, respirator w/extra cartdiges, gloves, rain suit, length of cord, roll of duct tape, and tissues.

Any glaring omissions or useful tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

For the short term, as in hours, you are probably OK. I think you need to consider a set of good walking boots, well broke in. Your object will be to get off the island and back to the home base. There are a few more things on the get the hell out of dodge threads worth looking over. One scheme is to have a collapsible kayak or raft stored in your office building in case the bridges are taken out.

3. poacher

poacher Monkey+++ Founding Member

Gad

I don't know what your usual work attire is but I would suggest if it's dress or Friday casual you include a good denium longsleeve work shirt, T-shirt and some tan tactical bdu's as well as two pairs of new nice and thick hiking socks to go with the boots that Ghrit suggested. One last thing a boonie hat would be excellent.
    Reason being is first off the denium shirt is usually of heavier material and will protect your arms from sun, briars or debris, it also protects from heat (fire) better. The T-shirt is because when the denium is new it's a tad rough. The reason for tan tac bdu's is one they have a lot of pockets which is always helpful second they blend in for urban better.
    Also go and buy a new military belt and don't cut it. You can always tuck the extra thru the belt loops. The new socks are great because they still haven't been washed to the point that they have lost their elasticity and they cushion better. Two pairs so you can switch out when the first get sweat soaked or just wet.You don't need blisters during a time like that. The boots thing well thats pretty self explanitory. I might suggest a pair of combat boots.
    If ya have any other questions throw em on out. Your location seems to put you in the path of the storm in my opinion.
    Take care Be safe Poacher.

4. gadinort

gadinort Monkey+++

Thanks.
    I left out some of my "work related" items that are also either on me or in my bag. I always have a good pair of boots and a military-style belt on. A hardhat, knee pads, and safety glasses are either on me or in/attached to the bag. I keep a spare long sleeve work shirt and t-shirt in the bag. When the weather starts getting cold I throw in a warm hat, insulated gloves, and a scarf.
    The extra socks is certainly a great idea.

5. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

I think a good compact little am/fm radio might also be a good idea to keep up with news and maybe guide you away from danger...

I like this little guy... and have several around in the bags... and its inexpensive.... with a light and SW... check out the video

http://www.countycomm.com/gp4light.htm

[​IMG]

6. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Forgot to add...
    Consider some "baby wipes" or hand wipes... along with some hand sanitizer... gots lots of uses[winkthumb]

7. ghrit

22 USD on the website with the light, 19 without. I couldn't find any retailers, but if there are any locally, I think I'll pick one up.

8. sheen_estevez

sheen_estevez Monkey+++

A very good map of the area you are in. I know if you live in the area you may think you have all the routes down, but a good detailed map could be a life saver. On 9/11 I had a crew from here in Wisconsin working in Mid-Town, as events started happening my first reaction was for them to go get a room at the 1st hotel they could find in the city thinking at first it was some type of freak accident and travel may become hard, my crew was staying in Jersey, well as event unfolded that morning and it was evident we were under attack their mode turned from trying to find a place to stay to getting the hell out of dodge, being from Wisconsin they didn't have a good map with them, it took well over an hour for them to get a connection to me on the phone cell towers all in use, I spent the rest of the morning using my mapping software on my computer to try to guide them out of the city, the one thing that sticks in my mind was the fact that all the brides and tunnels were shut down very quickly, my crew ended up heading north for quite a ways before they found a place to head west, in the end took them over 5 hours to get back to their hotel in Jersey.

9. sheen_estevez

sheen_estevez Monkey+++

Another thing to think about putting in your BOB is a infatable P.F.D. they don't take up much room and you could always opt to float across the river (yuk) to get you back to your home turf.

10. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Dragon skin
    (2) frags
    (2) smokes
    (2) CS
    Sawed-off 20 ga. pump
    buck & ball
    side-arm and extra mags (6)
    two Krugerrands
    a sack of small silver coins
    boot-knife
    Gerber Applegate-Fairbairn folder
    magnesium electric matches
    Foil packets of thermite
    sling-shot with ball-bearings
    fish-hooks
    para-cord
    police scanner with extra batteries

11. rootdiggr

rootdiggr Monkey+++

I keep a pair of the inexpensive eye protectors in all of my kits. I added these right after Sept. 11, seeing so many people with eye probs and unable to keep their eyes open for very long at a time.

12. ghrit

A pair of good leather gloves.

13. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

[winkthumb]
    You left out Night Vision Goggles and Claymores.

On the serious side though, sheen_estevez's suggestion of the map and Bear's sugg of hand san/baby wipes and a little radio I think are VERY good ones. And now that I think about it, that personal floatation device might be a real life saver (pun intended). If something big happens across the bridge, it might be your only way home.

14. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

Some water purification tablets or a water filter would come in handy if you plan on drink any water from unknown sources:^) A couple 16-oz water bottles (there are probably better containers), but that's a good start.

There are some great ideas here -- glad Gadinort brought it up because this is something I've neglected... I work about 40-miles from home and must cross a semi-desert.

15. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Do you keep the BOB on you when working or in the vehicle? I ask this because while a few things might be good to add regardless like a day or 2 of food (power bars or whatever) there would be different things that would IMO be VERY advisable to add IF you keep it with you all the time. In the first type of senario that would come to mind of what it would be for, 9-11 repeat with you in the WTC type thing, the top things that would come to mind would be a flashlight to see to get out, a long roll of parachute cord (300' takes about the space of a soda can) and a basic repell harnass (many folks jumped from the fire and died for lack of a way out and happens in lots of high rise fires, you can repell from parachute cord) and a couple feet of garden hose to protect the cord where it goes over the wall/out the window,
    3-4 pairs of heavy gloves and a hammer in case you have to dig out, as well as some food and water. The catch being that this stuff comes to mind for optomizing your chances of getting out of a structure that has been hit and are ONLY useful (in this capacity) if they are with you while working, if they are in a locker or the vehicle or whatever then you most likely wont get to them, so I would say keep that stuff on you if at all possible and then you could maybe have a more comprehensive kit in a vehicle or someplace close that you could get to and go from there.

The main reason why I suggest haveing multiple kits is that if you try to have everything you are likely to need to get you say 40-50 miles most likely on foot even in an urban area then its likely to be to bulky to conveniently carry ALL the time and so wont do any good in the most important stage, getting out of the building/tunnel/etc alive and to a point of needing to worry about getting home or wherever else. Now weather it is on you or in the larger kit I would say also to make sure to have say $250 cash in small bills (a few 20s mostly 10s and smaller includeing a couple rolls of quarters) in order to buy food and drinks as you make your way through town or to get a cab if possible and so on when credit cards and ATM cards may well be worthless. If its on you, especialy based on a lot of what Ive heard about NY I would make sure it was NOT in your wallet but maybe in a money belt or someplace else hidden on you.

Just my first thoughts off the top of my head. If you would like me to expand on the thoughts let me know.

16. sheen_estevez

sheen_estevez Monkey+++

I carry para-cord, never thought of a section of hose, good idea

17. gadinort

gadinort Monkey+++

When I am at my office (1-2 hrs/day), the bag is at my feet...with the exception of grabbing lunch or taking a leak.

The rest of the time it is in my truck, but I am within 10-feet of the truck 95% of the time.

I just added a new halogen/LED combo flashlight. Para-cord is enroute. The hose is indeed a good idea.

A wad of small bills could certainly be a lifesaver...or at least a life improver.

18. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

More non perishible food, and lots of water.

When thinking about that small inflatable boat, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have one of the CO2 cartridge tire repair kits for it. one, the CO2 and air gun that come in the kit (usually called an ATV tire repair kit) could be used to air it up, and secondly if the folded raft was in storage long enough it could easily get a hole torn in it. They can also be used to plug a hole in your vehicle tire.

19. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

GOOD QUALITY MULTITOOL(??) some 911folks had to dig their way through a sheet rock wall and not one pocket knife among em, ( they used the frame from a window washers squeegee iirc).

20. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

About carrying cash....
    I for one,... got an atm debit/credit card, and almost have not carried cash for over a year now.
    It does "ring true" about problems with getting services or purchases with the plastic if the machines fail, or like recently here, a power outtage!
    It was interesting:
    People still wanted to buy from the local convenience store, where my neighbor is the manager.
    The concept of NOT being able to buy gas, drinks, or anything from the store befuddled them all. When there is no electricity, those quaint computer operated, laser code scanners, just don't work!
    People were actually THROWING money at him and telling him to turn on the gas pumps! They did not care about any change.....they just wanted to make their purchases.
    Panic set in on those poor souls and they just had NO clue as to why they could not "function" as if it were just another day!
    It actually would have been funny, if it weren't so terribly sad.
    The "few" people that do carry cash, will at least have an option to make purchases....somewhere.....I hope!
    Bill

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7