Gear Review 100% Wool Blankets (Master Listing)

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Brokor, Jul 27, 2012.

1. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

We stumbled across a 100% wool mill that makes blankets a few years back. Still giving them the final test through, but so far nothing but stellar marks.

2. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

3. Imasham

Imasham Monkey

So...I read that the Swedish military blankets are rated the highest so I wondered if they still had access to them. I took a chance and sent an e-mail to the Swedish military procurement department and this is the response I got:

"FMV do not procure wool blankets to the Swedish Armed Forces, SwAF, any more. The wool blankets were introduced to the SwAF during 1960-1970.

The blankets have been phased out and gone on sale. They can be found on the market, for example, second-hand stores. There are a few left remaining in the SwAF, mostly used in firefighting exercises.

Nowadays FMV procures flame retardant polyester blankets to be used for bedding and commercial fire blankets to extinguish fires.

Thus FMV can not specify any specific supplier or manufacturer."

In the text FMV is the organization responsible for SwAF procurement. See www.fmv.se

4. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Ganado and Brokor like this.
  5. fredrick

fredrick Neophyte Monkey

Found this thread and forum when searching for vintage military wool blankets. I especially want to learn more about the meaning of the different colours and patterns used on, for example, the Italian blankets. Does anyone know if the stripe designs have a specific purpose – or are they purely for decoration? Feels like they should have some kind of meaning, considering the context where they were used?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    Brokor likes this.
  6. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Welcome to the forum!!

7. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

I can find USGI wool blankets at a local flea market for about $25.00. Got about a dozen of them now.

Brokor likes this.
  8. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I have an Italian wool officers blanket on my bed at all times. I have never heard there's any significance to the lines on them, but there may not be enough information posted about it to conclude if there was any meaning, either.

Ganado likes this.
  9. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

JrOrtiz, natshare and Yard Dart like this.
  10. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

DSC00479.JPG
    DSC00480.JPG
    Check this out. Practically the same weight, feel, and thickness as the Italian Officer's wool blanket, this Arcturus 80% wool blanket is a very nice alternative and it won't break the bank. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IJWUYLK/?tag=survivalmonke-20 Priced currently at $37.99 it's a good bargain, especially with Prime so you can take advantage of free shipping.
    It's a sturdy, heavy duty wool blanket.

Ganado, natshare, oldawg and 4 others like this.
  11. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I was a Civil War re-enactor for many years and wool is KING spring, summer, fall and winter. With wool socks you will never get a blister. Wool blankets are warm even when coated with frost or wet. Also, those uniforms are not as hot in the summer as you might think ( the wool wicks the sweat away to cool your body), nor as warm in the winter. I loved wool sweaters until they got so expensive.

3M-TA3, Ganado and Mountainman like this.
  12. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

French Army Wool Blankets $40

Max they will let you order is 1ea.

Get em while you can!!!

French OD Wool Blanket

Yard Dart likes this.
  13. Cooner

Cooner Neophyte Monkey

I saw those Arcturus 80% wool blanket 20% polyester on Amazon, and no thanks, after seeing the photos customers posted and where it is made, plus it has polyester.

Speaking of the Swedish officer blanket and German. I just spoke with someone that owned both, he got rid of the Swedish, and said he preferred the German one since it was larger in size. But that list is spot on.

The internet knows about these now and commanding a price after original poster posted this thread back in 2012. Just like real cast iron pans came from Griswol and Wagner.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  14. alaskachick

alaskachick A normally quiet snow monkey

Sort of still on topic.... the best socks I have ever owned and wore are Darn Tough socks. They are merino wool. I get the “itchies” also with some wool products. Not only are these warm and nice and soft, they last a long long time. I can’t tell you how long because I can’t remember when I bought them..... but that may be due to old age ;) ymmv

Zimmy, Cruisin Sloth and 3M-TA3 like this.
  15. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

I have had a US Army wool blanket on my side of the bed (wife hates it) for 30 years, it's been washed so many time it probably half the weight it started out to be but it is soft. My wife says I'm like Linus (peanuts) can't sleep without it.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  16. Sportsman's guide usually has surplus wool blankets. Prices run $20-$40 FRNs. Wool is warm but I itch from contact.

17. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

Ebay is a good place to find wool military blankets also.

18. JrOrtiz

JrOrtiz Monkey

19. Cooner

Cooner Neophyte Monkey

I just got an Italian Blue stripe dated 1999, was trying to get one that was older, and its thick as the Swedish Officer's. Which I don't have.

20. FTM2 Tartar

FTM2 Tartar On Hiatus Banned

I looked there, it doesn't mention 100% wool, do you know if it is?

1. Coyote Ridge
  2. HK_User
  3. DKR
  4. Hanzo
  5. RouteClearance
  6. Bishop
  7. Hanzo
  8. chelloveck
  9. Brokor
  10. Brokor
  11. Astrodokk
  12. monkeyman