Anti EMP Buildings I have completed.

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by HK_User, Oct 20, 2012.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Anti EMP Building Steel Frame Work in Progress.JPG There is more than one way to kill EMP.
    Note the dates on the pictures.

Anti EMP Bldg 3x5 inch angle being welded.JPG Anti EMP Bldg  Welding of Braces.JPG Anti EMP Bldg Frame work.JPG Anti EMP Bldg with core finished.JPG Anti EMP Building, Core complete..JPG Anti EMP Dome, concrete and carbon steel fiber exterior..JPG

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Can you please try again, you posted at the very moment I restarted a server module.

Screenshot from 2012-10-20 11:12:16.

3. HK_User

Some pictures loaded.
    Any questions then just ask.

I am the designer, welder and clean up guy.

4. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

whats the Igloo?

5. HK_User

It is a steel reinforced concrete dome with steel rebar and carbon steel fibers in the concrete and a steel door.

6. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I've got a stupid suggestion for you. With the igloo, ad a layer of ceramic tile in an earth tone color.

See my ballistic tests using tile as an initial impacting surface. Plus, it might blend in better than a white dot on the landscape depending on your AO.

Other than that suggestion, not dinging what your are doing but thank you for sharing!

7. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Just another thought on the dome, and making it blend in. I would consider using something such as 2 inch mesh chicken wire to act as a base for flowering and folage vines totally disappear the structure. Of course I would paint it with a combo of earth tones first depending on local vegatation.

8. HK_User

"I've got a stupid suggestion for you. With the igloo, ad a layer of ceramic tile in an earth tone color.
    See my ballistic tests using tile as an initial impacting surface. Plus, it might blend in better than a white dot on the landscape depending on your AO.
    Other than that suggestion, not dinging what your are doing but thank you for sharing!"

While I agree with both on Camo, the Dome is a "Well House" that serves many other uses. Being in the open serves a purpose, at least in my case. Innocence has it's own level of Camo. Location and being able to observe the doorway from other OPs was decided in the layout.

No problem from me about thoughts of "Dinging", only time and money limit my abilities to do more with less.

The Dome was decided on when a Range Fire, set by a local "DRUNK" who lost his home to forclosure, who then decided to try and burn down the house to get back at the Bank. Instead he ruined the lives of many others and only the wind direction saved the forclosed home as well as my original wood well house.

As much as folks think about prepping with food most think little of having a source of water. We rotate 120 gallons in two home made tanks, monthly, stored in the well house as well as the amount in the pressure tank and six 5 gallon Mil plastic Jerry cans.

The Dome is the primary storm shelter.

9. hammer502

hammer502 Monkey+

would like to learn more about emp proof buildings. can you point me in some reputable directions?

10. HK_User

To start with search the internet for EMP protection/damage solutions. I suggest this search for only you know what your limits are. I will say that whatever you build needs to cover most natural hazards as well as man made screw ups. So if you build some type of Faraday Cage in a Wooden Barn then you automatically limit your survival percentage. Build strong or down size to what is strong and can be used for other prep items. Do not put all your eggs in one structure. Three survivable structures are best and needs to be part of an over all building plan. I do practice what I preach and have spent years building what works for me.

In your search for internet information on EMP Survivability then your best bet are Triple E White Papers. There is some cost in this but after all the authors have spent the time in research. You can purchase a complete report or maybe read an overview first. I will say that you can spend tens of thousands on a very small building. In this wave guide type passageways, conduits and entry ways could be built. For me I had to consider "one shot" EMPs and just hope I was buttoned up at the right time

In any anti EMP building/structure/container you need to understand what you want to protect. An example for me was to protect large scale items, cars trucks, tractors. So the steel "barn" was constructed of 1/8 inch steel as a core and then insulation and a cover of more normal steel building material. A three part process that also protects from theft. I have known of more than one person that built a Metal Building thinking it was theft proof only to find that a crook simply unscrewed the metal skin and walked right past the high dollar steel doors and $300 locks. After all if you really believe EMP will kill your electronics then now is the time to protect them as well as the other items you will need.

In addition I wanted a more secure structure that addressed severe storm forces or Nuke Blast winds. So the Dome was born as a way to survive nature and man, well at least within my budget. In addition each structure needs a smaller secure storage "box" for delicate items such as Radios or Electronic repair parts for vehicles etc. This as security for when and if I was not buttoned up when an EMP hit.

I hope I have provided at least some information that can help you.

11. hammer502

hammer502 Monkey+

yes,thank you!

12. Theocrat

Theocrat Monkey

What about painting all interior walls with leaded paint. I heard that the whole leaded paint scare was propaganda to stop people from having houses that were difficult to "see" through with thermal devices. I would guess and added benefit would be EMP resistent. If you cannot find leaded paint, I heard powdered lead can be added to the paint and mixed before painting.

13. HK_User

Lead paint as it flakes off or is chewed and injested by babies and small children causes permanent damage to their brains and nervous system. It is a real killer of the poor's ability to function and earn a living as they grow to adulthood. As a result it is yet another burden on those who can least control it's use and as a tax burden on those who foot the overall cost of it's "half life"

No knowledge of EMP protection.

"I heard that the whole leaded paint scare was propaganda to stop people from having houses that were difficult to "see" through with thermal devices.
    Read more: http://www.survivalmonkey.com/threads/anti-emp-buildings-i-have-completed.35310/page-2#ixzz2A8gbAtHb"

Horse s**t, lead paint was used for centuries long before Thermal Devices were thought.

14. Theocrat

Theocrat Monkey

I have heard that but I have yet to see a baby crawling over to a wall strip the paint off and start chewing on it. You would think they would ban something much more accessable to small infants like lead fishing weights. Also, why do they use lead to block radiation when they take x-rays?

I hope you have the same strong oppinion against flouride in water and mercury in amalgum fillings and vaccines.

Anyway, thanks for you kind comments.

15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Littlies do chew on window sills and crib rails (for examples) and if there are wall paint chips on the floor, well, you know where they go. I guess they figure a total ban on lead paints will prevent misuse.

Lead is used for shielding against radiation, not electric fields. Yes, it is conductive in metallic form, but not necessarily as a compound used in paints. I suppose you could find a conductive compound for the coating, but I wouldn't know how or where.

FWIW, there is a lead ban in place for some things that kids can get at. They nearly banned motorcycles for kids because some idiot bureaucrat missed the boat and was afraid kids would chew on carburators. It took a court case to get that language purged from the ban. And, while I haven't looked, I would not be too surprised to find sinkers on the list.

16. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

and Lead based Birdshot..... is Banned, for hunting Migratory Birds.... as well.... Oh, and then there is Lead in Gasoline..... Evil Lead....

17. HK_User

Hey, if you can't take the truth then don't ask.

18. HK_User

Well Bruce if you like to hunt or eat Migratory Birds or just look at them then be glad that lead, that wasted away thousands if not millions of Migratory Birds, was banned. Fact is they will ingest the lead pellets that landed in the mud and then die of a wasting disease traced to lead.

"
    What Is The Harm In Lead Toxicity?

Lead is a very old poison. It has been used for centuries in various capacities throughout time. Historically, people have suffered from its effects. The record of problems that have occurred as a result of lead poisoning includes sicknesses such as gout and colic. The damage it does in the body includes lethargy, abdominal pain, nausea, headaches and in serious cases, you may experience seizures and coma
    • "Gastrointestinal problems are possible, such as constipation, diarrhea, vomiting, poor appetite, weight loss and anemia.
    • In fetuses and small children the danger can be developmental. Most directly it is recorded as manifesting as learning disorders. Lead toxicity affects the central and peripheral nervous system."
    And once in the Body tissues it stays there.

YMMV and your valves may burn without lead.
    +

19. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Or not. There hasn't been ethyl lead in motor fuel in years.

20. HK_User

True but it can still be found on Route 66, in the soils and grass.

I was once chastised by an Old Rancher for cutting the grass along my country road. He was concerned about lead being feed to cattle, now if this old guy was aware then I'll sure pay attention. I was using a sickle mower and then collecting the grass for hay.

He settled down when I explained that the road was bulilt across a 200 year old land grant ranch in 1972 and had very little traffic since it was a 9 mile dead end road.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7