As they use to say, Dance with the one you brung.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by HK_User, Feb 8, 2013.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Found a nice three some of 30-06 long guns last week.

Model 70, made in 1981. 6 bills
    Mossberg beater 2008. 3 bills
    Browning Auto 1970s. 8 bills

The 70 came home with me since it was as new, had a $1200 scope and a off hand sling.

I was even offered some ammo at a fair price!!!!!

This all at a local Pawn shop.

Time to reload some of those 170 FMJ boattails pulls from a well known supplier from 15 years ago.

Primers for this round are OTC in my area.

ColtCarbine and ditch witch like this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

AR-10.JPG
    IMG_0082.
    Well, my New "Reach out and Touch Something" Weapon arrived on a float Plane this afternoon, along with some Groceries for a local Neighbor.
    Momma is very proud....

The Scope Rings came today, and I mounted the Unitril 6-24X 50mm Scope ...
    This is the Interim Optics until the 4-16X 50mm Eliminator III shows up in April....

STANGF150 likes this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

ooooh!! She's happy. Someone else might not be if unexpected.

4. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Looks Like my first wife with her Deer rifle, a CAR 15.

Then again the GOV experts say that the CAR 15 was not designed for hunting, in that they are correct. The CAR 15 was a self defense gun for security of Air Bases and Chopper Pilots.

Nice inline weapon above.

5. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

NICE!!! I know you had this on back order and I hope you got it for the pre-hysteria price.

6. BTPost

Yea, I wish I had known this crazy MARKET, was going to happen, when I ordered it, as I would have ordered 3 of them. I got Dealer Discount, and easily could have DOUBLED MY MONEY, on each one sold. Prices down in the FlatLands for Black Evil Guns is just NUTS.... Now I have to buy the mounts for the Optics, and then some Backup Optics, Iron Sights, and a Harris BiPod for it. I also have to spend some time out in the Reloading Shop, and make up some Test Rounds to categorize the Weapon, to find it's loadings "Sweet Spot"

7. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

Uh-Oh, the smile on her face, suggests that poor neighborhood Bear in deep chit now!!!

8. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Do we get the details, or would you prefer we guess?;)

9. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

whut he said^

10. BTPost

That is a DPMS Panther Arms RFLR-308.... which is an AR-10 variant.... Chambered in .308 Winchester, and supports a 24" Stainless Bull Barrel with a 20 Rnd Magazine. It is a True 1000Yd Weapon, which is exactly why we decided on this specific variant. It can take down ANYTHING that lives in North America, that is inside 400 Yds, and easily can outshoot, these Old Eyes, for ranges out to that 1000Yd Limit. Been looking over my Old Loading Book for the OEM Ammo I used to make. Should have a set of Test Loadings, ready to go, here in a few weeks, and in time for the Accessory arrivals.

STANGF150 likes this.
  11. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I am envious. :cool:

12. Pistolero

Pistolero Monkey++

I bought a DPMS 308 lower and several of the mags when I retired last year, got em from the factory as I was passing through. Wish I had bought the parts to finish it out! cannot get em now!!

13. Pistolero

Pistolero Monkey++

Hey BTPost, what scope did you put on her?

14. BTPost

STANGF150 and kellory like this.
  15. Mountainman

How is that Eliminator Scope working out for long range shooting? Thought about getting one and wondering if it is worth the price.

16. BTPost

I haven't shot it at distance yet... Wx has been crappy, or it has been to windy... The Laser Rangefinder works out to 1200 Yds, and that is confirmed. It is accurate to +/- 2 Yds at 1000 Yds, and that has been verified. The 50mm Objective Lens does bring in the Low Light Targets, and the Lit AimPoint makes sighting, easy, in low light. With my eyesight, getting older by the second, having the 4-16X Magnification really helps in Target acquisition. I will revisit this thread after I get the Final Sighting In, done, but as of now, I like what I see. They ARE an expensive set of Optics. I bought mine at Dealer cost and saved 10% over Brownells, and Midway Discount Pricing. For most folks, the Eliminator I or II would seem to be a better Deal, but for my application, the Eliminator III was the right Optics for this Weapon. I had the Loading Bench setup on Momma's Antique Dinning Room Table. She warned me before she deployed that I couldn't put any holes in the table, under pain of DEATH. I built a table Insert to match the Antique Insert, and mounted My old RCBS Rock Crusher Press on it, along with the Powder Measuring Machine. Then, Thanks to Gator 45/70, I had some .308 Brass to work with, and setup a Test Loading of 50 Rounds, in 5 Round Groups, that varies the IMR-4895 Powder Charge by .5 Grain in each Group, starting at 39 Grains, and going up to 44 Gains. All the Projectiles were Winchester 150 Grain Jacketed SpirePoints. I found some of my OLD Match Ammo left over from the Custom Ammo Biz, that was IMR-4895 43.5 Grains, with 150 Grain Speer Jacketed Round Nose Projectiles. We shot these to try out the weapon, before the sights, or Optics, were mounted. We were blasting the Beach 900 Yds across the Inlet. How close could you come to the waters edge, without going up on the beach. Easy to spot the water splashes if you were short, and no splash, meant you were Long. Momma got first shot. For sure.....

STANGF150, kellory and Mountainman like this.
  17. Mountainman

Thank you for the info BT. Considering getting one for the M1A I have when I get my Sadlak mount that is on backorder.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7