Blood clotters

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by Pitdog, Apr 20, 2008.

1. goinpostal

goinpostal Monkey+++

Just remember,you might find yourself in the situation of not having the propper stuff readily available.Then you may be forced to think on the fly,and improvise with whats on hand.
    Another alternative to gauze pads is sterilized/boiled spanish moss.Something some of the Native Americans used for wounds,as well as female issues.
    Matt

chelloveck likes this.
  2. TheEconomist

TheEconomist Creighton Bluejay

I am with you my friend.

When consulting my American Red Cross books it is also important to remember that we want occlusive dressing's. These will close off a wounded or damaged area.

Steps:
    1. Sanitize
    2. Quick Clot
    3. Occlusive Dressing
    4. Pressure bandage
    5. Tourniquets (remember, this is a last resort)
    This is what works!

3. ibbki

ibbki Monkey

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but Dead Nettle is an excellent clotter. It grows wild in almost all areas. It can be dried and kept for later use as well. Look it up.

4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

...Chuck Norris would bite the bullet off the shell and pour the powder on the wound and then fire it off to seal the flow of blood...Tampoon's indeed...!!!

5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I might point out, that "Liquid Stitch" works pretty well in closing wounds. .... YMMV....

6. qasimo

qasimo Monkey

thanks for the blood clotting info sites, buck ball!

7. WindWarrior

WindWarrior Sea Monkey

Direct pressure (hand, gauze, pressure dressing) and proximal control of vascular supply (pressure, clamp of identified vessel, tourniquet) are first line control measures. QuickClot can be useful, except for abdominal wounds. Certain intravascular clotting agents, such as NovoSeven, may be helpful for major penetrating trauma where help is not readily available. It is still "investigational" at this time. It is very expensive and I understand it has a relatively short shelf life.

8. CrufflerJJ

CrufflerJJ Monkey++

I've used NovoSeven in ICU brain-bleed patients who are excessively anticoagulated with coumadin/warfarin.

It was effective in reducing clotting time (INR) and minimizing the extent of the brain bleed. That being said, NovoSeven requires IV administration and also has its unpleasant side-effects. Looking at the huge packaging insert, there's a significant risk of "thrombotic events." This is a fancy name for heart attacks, strokes, and blood clots sent to your lungs. Oopsie!

That being said, if I was bleeding out from a wound unresponsive to direct pressure/elevation/hemostatic agents (Celox/QuikClot,...), I'd gladly take NovoSeven rather than die from bleeding out.

See:

SASAT - Potential Thrombogenic Complications

Enjoy!

9. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

To continue the "Joke, laugh, whatever, but don't forget" condoms.

10. medicine man

medicine man Monkey

Tourniquets are back in fashion now following extensive use in conflict zone, however they are life savers not limb savers.

BTPost likes this.
  11. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

This statement does not mean just because a tourniquet is applied that a limb will require amputation. Adverse consequences due to properly applied tourniquets do not occur until they have been on for 1.5 hours.

12. medicine man

medicine man Monkey

True we are currently teaching In a civilian setting that they are safe for up to 2hrs but in a very prolonged entrapment can be left on for 4 hrs in reality this means they are not removed or loosened in the pre-hospital environment and normally the casualty would be in hospital a lot quicker than that.

13. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

deleted for OPSEC. Do what you will.

14. medicine man

medicine man Monkey

I'm interested in any alternative view and appreciate the difference between civilian and tactical use

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7