Caucasian Shepherd Dog

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by melbo, Jan 13, 2008.

Tags:
  1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Not sure I've seen a meaner looking dog before.
    Any of you dog folk familiar with them?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe Guest

3. slots

slots Monkey+++

Not a great fan of dogs in general, especially dogs which are breed to be aggressive.

Your pictures remind me of a story I once heard about NY cops.

Despite having pumped a few rounds into the dog moments before, some NY police officers were still getting mauled by trained American pitbull terriers (the then trendy pet for the average drug dealer). Apparently bullets don't stop these dogs with enough speed unless you shot them between the eyes...

The only way they found they could drop a fighting dog quickly was by using pepper spray. Then they could kill it safely :) A spray first, kill later policy.

4. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Yes...... The wife had a friend with one.

They are great dogs, but they aint labs.... It's a whole different mindset.

Are you considering getting one? If so PLEASE, If you haven't already... read up on dog behavior and training all you can. Get a book specifically on that breed. They demand respect, and will not obey someone they don't see as a superior member of the pack. This is true with most "ancient breed" dogs as well like my Shiba. When I say "superior member of the pack", I mean you have to make the dog understand that your the alpha male, but in NO WAY does that translate into being physically harsh with them. That has a very negative affect.

They can be a problem with children (in some cases), as they generally will not view a child as dominant. Pushy kids often get a "fang lashing", their version of a spanking, which of course invariably leads to the animal being put down as untrustworthy, when it's just a lack of understanding on the part of the humans.

They, like my dog as I said, demand a level of respect that the average collie or lab owner doesn't understand. They are not completely submissive and don't follow orders without question. They'll follow orders, but they want to know "why" or they'll "get to it in a minute".

Another potential problem is people (especially children) that they don't know, running up to them and making physical contact. Especially if someone puts a hand on top of them (a dominance display). It can result in a harsh "spanking".

There are individuals that are exceptions to these rules, but for the most part, it holds true. I would consider that carefully since you have kids.

And I really hate to see good dogs put down or end up at the pound because the owner wasn't able to properly handle the breed.

5. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

YouTube - Caucasian Dog Asian Dog (Wolfhound)</EMBED></EMBED>

Powerful and massive, the Caucasian Ovcharka can prove to be a difficult breed for an inexperienced owner, because it respects and obeys only those dominant members of the family that it deems superior to itself.
    They are generally good with children, but will not see them as their masters. The dog develops a strong bond with its owner but will rarely be completely submissive and blindly follow orders, for this is truly a thinking dog which relies primarily on its own instincts, sometimes even disregarding its master's directions in certain situations. A breed with a very quick reaction time and lightning-fast protection reflexes, it has even been unfairly described by some as somewhat of a "loose cannon". With proper care, handling and training, this is a well-behaved and obedient family companion.

Take care to ask the owner before touching as these dogs are not 'big teddy bears' to be run up to and cuddled. A well behaved Ovcharka will merely take a step back and avert their head; this is a good behavior as these dogs are not Golden Retrievers in their temperament towards everyone.

Ovcharka AKA caucasian mountain dogs are used to hide amongst sheep in herds. A pack of wolves (3 or 4) will attack the sheep not noticing the Ovcharka, and the dog will throw down with a couple wolves at the same time. The fur is several layers and thick making the wolves teeth unable to reach its flesh. They are loyal to their duty in protecting their flock and family and will stand by and defend through any circumstance.

Unfortunately they are often misrepresented as being dangerous and violent, when in fact they are not unless there is a threat or a perceived threat to family and home.

6. melbo

Thanks BlackJack. No, not in the market for any more animals right now.
    Just thought I'd ask if anyone knew about them.

7. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

:lol: I thought you were being PC and so I was expecting to see a photo of a white German Shepherd. :lol:

8. Conagher

Conagher Dark Custom Rider Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

That's what I was thinking as well Tracy....[lolol]

9. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I think one of the most intimidating looking breess would have to be the Rodesian Ridge Backs. They look like a German Sheapheard on steroids with the hackels up. They are bulkier than the GS but fawn colored and have some black on their muzzel and such but the hair on their back grows in such a way that it always stands up along the back from the shouders about 2/3 of the way to the hips. The breed comes from Africa where they were breed to hunt lions and one ridge back can take on an adult lion or keep it cornered in the same spot by its self.

I havent been around a whole lot of them but the one I had was GREAT, super smart and as friendly as could be unless he decided you were a bad guy (those he decided were bad guys I tended to not welcome around) and would let kids ride him like a pony but if he considered someone or another animal a threat to his humans they had problems. The neighbors white german sheapherd was out once (a junk yard dog) and as I was trying to take him out for a walk and going down the steps the shep stood at the bottom barking and growling at us. I tried to shoo it off a few times and it just got more aggresive so finaly dropped the leash and let Razor (my ridge back) go, he wasnt tugging but was clearly waiting for the 'go', and he ran down snatched the shep by the head/neck and ran off almost to the edge of the yard with draging it like nothing, threw it a few feet out of the yard and as soon as the shep got up and took off Razor just came running back over and sat at my side.

10. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Monkeyman.... I love Ridgebacks, they're wonderful dogs (but again not recommended for inexperienced owners). Great hunting dogs as well, you can teach them to hunt pretty much anything. It's no wonder they're tough having been bred to hunt lions.

11. badkarma

badkarma ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

+1 for the Rhodesian Ridgeback ... great dogs.

12. sheen_estevez

sheen_estevez Monkey+++

OK so why am I only seeing 4 pictures of Chief Wiggum????

13. misty

misty Monkey+++

I'm seeing the chief also.

We have Norwegian Elkhounds and they are wonderful dogs. They are very stubborn though. They love kids. Especially knocking them down to lick them in the face. They don't like hot weather much. They love the snow and roll in it and run through it like furry bulldozers. But in the hot weather they are cold water creek critters. They are great watch dogs!

14. TNZ71

TNZ71 PEACE THRU FIREPOWER

WE HAVE GER SHEPHERDS, MALE CHECH BLOOD, FEMALE GERMAN. BRED THEM LAST YEAR, 5 BIG PRETTY PUPS, ALL SOLD TO FELLOW POLICE OFFICERS AS PETS, GREAT WITH SMALL CHILDREN BUT VERY PROTECTIVE OF OUTSIDERS. GSD HAVE STRONG PROTECTIVE AND PACK INSTINCTS. ANY NON-DOG OWNER SHOULD WATCH THAT GUY ON NAT'L GEO CHANNEL AND SEE HOW A PACK BEHAVES.

15. melbo

I think I saw one of these guys in a nightmare the other night

16. Pauly Walnuts

Pauly Walnuts Monkey++

Scary looking dog no doubt, I'll stick tomy GS, love the loyalty!

17. mpq2346

mpq2346 Monkey+

Training of this dogs is very hard. Genuine dogs are very aggressive and appreciate only one master. Under age of 1 year puppy tries to check his master if he is "hard" enough. Owner must bit him (sic!) in order to subdue the dog completely.
    Incredible fighter. Pit bulls and various staffs not an enemy for this dog.

18. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I think that dog should be destroyed.

I'm sorry if that hurts some people. I think that there are certain breeds that should never have been thought up. To put it another way, its similar to "thinking up" nuclear weapons and then acting shocked when there is an accident. Regardless, this is a preparedness/SHTF forum and I think that if you failed to feed that dog once... it might start testing the waters in terms of dominance. This would likely result in you being the main course.

That is one scary looking MF.

19. SLugomist

SLugomist Monkey++

There you go again, thinking.
    Almost synonymous with saying guns should be destroyed because they look scary, or someone may mishandle one and shoot themself, so ban all guns.

1. TnAndy
  2. AxesAreBetter
  3. Bishop
    Thread

best dog.

I swear I have the best dog ever. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Jun 6, 2019, 5 replies, in forum: General Discussion
  4. AxesAreBetter
  5. Thunder5Ranch
  6. Bishop
  7. OldDude49
  8. Bishop