Communications White Paper... MonkeyNet is here....

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by BTPost, Nov 7, 2011.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

The OnePad system is simple and can be explained in an Hour, in a One on One setting.... GPG is a bit more Techie, and Wikipedia has some good Stuff on it, and integrating it into your eMail, and computer systems. If you would like I can get one of the MonkeyNet Guys to work with you, and get you up to speed woith the technology....

Tully Mars likes this.
  2. DMGoddess

DMGoddess Monkey+++

Let me see what I can find on my own ... although I may scream for help by tonight.

3. BTPost

Always here to help...

4. DMGoddess

DMGoddess Monkey+++

Thanks, I appreciate it. Like I said, you may hear from me tonight.

5. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Any one of us would be happy to help you get up and running and there's nothing wrong with taking small steps. Getting comfortable with the concepts and then implementing them via the tools is what I used to do when I taught IT classes (previous life) and I'm tempted to create a walk-through, with screen-shots, for each piece. It's what I used to do for students when creating custom classes and still do it when we roll out new tech here at work.

6. BTPost

If you should choose to do that @DarkLight, All the MonkeyNet Technology Users would be greatly appreciative.

Jeff Brackett likes this.
  7. slashsplat

slashsplat Monkey

Great work... Will digest and comment.

8. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Great information- been looking at it for a bit and trying to get up to speed with this info. Are there any compatibility issues with the MN package and Windows 8? I am working on replacing my current machine (tower) with XP on it and getting a new laptop unit with Win8 as the OS. Thought I would check on that and see any feedback.

9. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Not sure, haven't tried a Windows 8 box, however...
    • Windows 8 "technically" has all the same compatibility features as Windows 7 and all of the tools work in Windows 7.
    • While Windows 8 no longer supports "XP Mode", there are ways to get around that by using the XP Mode vhd in a Oracle VirtualBox VM, which does run just fine on Windows 8 (do a search in Google for "windows 8 xp mode")
    • If you don't want to "cheat" the XP Mode issue, I assume you have your licensed copy of XP from your current machine. If so, you can simply install that into a VirtualBox VM.
    • Push comes to shove, you can run VMware's free Converter tool to convert your current XP machine to a VM on a different partition or drive (can't be the same drive XP is installed on, sorry) and run that as a VirtualBox VM...that's going to take some massaging though as converting from VMware to VirtualBox is sometimes tricky.
    Hope that helps.

Yard Dart likes this.
  10. BTPost

Last time I checked, with @VisuTrac, MonkeyNet was compatible with the Pre-Release of Windows 8. I am not sure if we did any testing past that, but I suspect that it will run just fine, in Win8....

Yard Dart likes this.
  11. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I'm going to say it runs on Win8. Pre-release version I tested on was just prior to official release.

MN and Stego run on XP SP3 on up.

The programs themselves don't make extensive use of the framework so we've not experienced any windows updates causing issues.

I'd say, go for it. If worse comes to worse you can install a WindowsVirtual machine and install a previous OS on it. That's typically how users of Linux and Mac run the MN, inside of a virtual machine.

Let us know if you experience any issues.

jlk and Yard Dart like this.
  12. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

This is a great piece of work and would like to thank you and the team for all the work in developing this paper. Had a conversation with a like minded friend relating to this very subject. I had speculated on the possibilities of a possible Hsmm type of system or line of site burst type of file transfers within our area for group to group comm's.. Also had considered use of trucrypt file encoding. Would also work in encrypting a micro sd card for transport with courier not knowing the password and preset password distribution. I do not know enough about any of this and would be interested in seeing more..

13. BTPost

You can download the complete MonkeyNet technology, as we made it available to anyone who has an interest. This lets you setup your own local Network, using your own KeySets and PADs, and become familiar with the technology, and the Apps, that make it up. Then when you have been around the Monkey Site, and become known, you can ask to be included in the MonkeyNet Group, which gets you the MonkeyNet Operational KeySets and PADs. Since the only thing that MUST BE HELD CLOSE, are the individual KeySets and PADs, we feel very comfortable getting any outsiders into using the technology, and building their own Networks, that could be easily integrated into MonkeyNet, during a major SHTF Event. If you have interest, PM Me, or @VisuTrac, for the Dropbox URL.

jlk and AmericanRedoubt1776 like this.
  14. jlk

jlk Monkey

Wow!
    Haven't finished reading entire document yet--but, can tell that it's one great piece of work.

melbo likes this.
  15. hitchcock4

hitchcock4 Monkey++

No comments in almost a year. I am new to SurvivalMonkey but I've bee trying to catch up.

Is this still the preferred method of communication for Monkeys if SHTF?

Thanks.
    Hitchcock

16. BTPost

MonkeyNet is still around, but kind of in the background.... SECURE Phones are primarily for local AoO Comms, but when setting a FaceMeet, via other Secure Comm methods, it allows for Good SECURE Comms between Monkeys that have never done a FaceMeet with each other, when they are within the SECURE Phones Range.... Bawanna Melbo and I have never had a FaceMeet, but we did use SECURE Phones to have a chat when I was driving thru his AoO (Cascade Mountains on I-5) early one morning. That proved the concept. The OnePad System, using MonkeyNet Operational PADs can provide an easy way to make these type arrangements, over Non-SECURED Comms. My wife was deployed with MDs w/o Boarders in Africa, a few years back, and we used our Family PhrasePAD for Secure Comms, over a SAT Based IP Link on both ends. We just as easily used GPG Encrypted eMail, and did on occasion, but the OnePad Family Phrase PAD made things short, and simple, with Phrases like 3*2="Good morning, How are things?" 7*2="Had a good Day, everything is Ok" and 9*1= "Love & Kisses, Sleep Tight"..... Three simple Code Groups can send a lot of information. She kept her PAD Encrypted on her iPad, with a backup copy Plasticized & sewn inside her Suitcase Lining. Mine is encrypted on my iMac, and backup is with the EMP Proof Backup Comms Gear, here at the Cabin.
    This is the beauty of the OnePad System. The Security of the Comms Link, is irrelevant... The Security of the PAD is Everything..... As long as the PAD is SECURE, All comms using it are SECURE. Especially with PhrasePADs, where No Post Processing in the world can decipher what Phrase is meant, by any PAD Address, no matter how many times the PAD is used. In MonkeyNet we use a 10X10 PAD, but there is NOTHING that says one couldn't use a 30X30, or even a 50X50 PAD.... The Basic Concepts are valid for ALL Cases....

Dont, VisuTrac, techsar and 3 others like this.
  17. fmhuff

fmhuff Monkey+++

This discussion made me think of "Book Code". As long as you mark out a word each time you use it there are no repeating patterns. As long as the book title is uncompromised it's nearly indecipherable.

Ganado likes this.
  18. scpn

scpn Monkey+++

FWIW, I have a machine that will run it now, Win8 laptop. The old XP desktop machine where I d'l to before got zapped so I would need to re-d/l (need that link again). I don't have anyone around me to test it with since I moved. I know lots of options for this kind of stuff, just can't get people interested in learning or using any.

I still lack a way to charge the laptop off-grid. My only solar panels are too small. But I might be able to hook it up to a friend's generator so there is small chance of having it working post-SHTF. The radios are already off-grid - I just can't test with them with this until we are WROL (getting closer!). I'm also on the road a lot now and could get caught without comms hardware so I don't want others depending on me.

19. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

On the road? A car powered inverter will charge a laptop, a spare battery, radios....

20. scpn

scpn Monkey+++

I have had an inverter for years (not tested with the laptop yet, now added to todo list) but the issue for me is I can't take everything with me in the vehicle I drive for work, which is where most of my travel is. I will try to remember to pack the inverter if I take the laptop on a camp-out or long personal trip. I've given up on a bugout scenario but getting back home like in the PAW fiction stories is a real possibility. I will pack my Chinese HT in my lunch bag. Everyone else has smart phones. I just have flip phone but I could do simple code in text msgs.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7