Communications White Paper... MonkeyNet is here....

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by BTPost, Nov 7, 2011.

1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

You most likely could carry a deep cycle car battery, and charge that while you drive. That would recharge the laptop through the inverter after work.

2. Tobit

Tobit Ham Extra Class

My F-150 has space under the hood for an extra battery. I have a deep cycle battery and isolator in place so I can leave devices charging when the vehicle is off but it always protects the cranking battery and deep cycle from dropping too low. When the engine is running, both batteries are charged. Quite common and not difficult to implement.

kellory likes this.
  3. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

One of the key's to your prep's, is to use them, know if they work and what their limitations are. Now is the time to figure all of that out.... before SHTF & a mistake either makes you starve or gets you killed. Use the tools you have.... and if they do not work for your plan.... find the thing that does meet that mission. :)

Ganado and kellory like this.
  4. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2015
    Dont, BTPost and ghrit like this.
  5. Tobit

Tobit Ham Extra Class

My 2-in-1 laptop can be charged from USB without the need of an inverter from my truck.

6. scpn

scpn Monkey+++

I have run my desktop off the inverter so I know I could use it for the laptop BUT! there are other considerations: (1) the inverter eats up more battery power so I use it only when I can't find a direct source of DC power; (2) the inverter used to blow a fuse in my stereo receiver and that could happen with other devices so I am not going to risk my laptop until it is critical. The DC converter output for my laptop is 19V so I have wondered if a 24V battery (or 2 12V wired properly) would allow for direct charging. But I won't attempt until I research it and feel I can do it without damaging the device.

7. kellory

Do not RUN the laptop off the inverter, for the reasons you describe. CHARGE the laptop battery off the inverter while the laptop is off. That way, you should not risk the computer, just the charging system.

Ganado likes this.
  8. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Were you using a pure sine wave inverter when this happened?

9. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

The only problems I've had running anything off an inverter was a microwave. Back in the earlier years of my adventures with solar power I was using a large modified sine wave inverter and it caused the MW to buzz loudly. It also took about three times as long to heat up the food. But I used the same inverter for laptops and other stuff with no problems.

Now that pure sine inverters have dropped a bit in price, I use them pretty much exclusively and have never had a problem running microwaves, laptops, small flat screens, etc.

Mountainman likes this.
  10. kellory

Even you cheap car inverters will charge a laptop.(while turned off) I've done it for years while traveling. Never had any issues.

11. scpn

scpn Monkey+++

These laptop issues may be getting us off topic (sorry if i started that), but briefly: no it is not any kind of special inverter just an off-the-shelf version probably from an auto supply store, about 15yrs old now. Since the laptop battery is not easily removable, and would be expensive to replace, charging it with the laptop off may not offer any significant protection - the circuits are all still connected (the switch is momentary, not hard on/off), which means it has power to it. If any part of this laptop gets zapped it's basically a throwaway; so I'm trying to be careful with it. If y'all disagree, that's fine; we don't have to think or do everything the same

Now, back on topic. I have Onepad installed on a USB and working. Stego also. I installed GPG but did not setup a root certificate and likely never will - I don't like or trust the whole concept -so will probably never use it, unless it can be used in local standalone mode somehow. Will not use Skype, period. I did install BitMessage and maybe that can be a suitable alternative.

12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

You can use a "Self-Signed" Certificate for GPG... Then you just pass the Public Key to anyone that you would like to be able to send you Encrypted EMails.... I set up a family 2048 Bit KeySet for my Family, and then sent both the Public & Private Keys to each family Member. This allows ALL Family Members to both Originate and Receive encrypted eMails from other Family Members. We also have our own BitMessage Setups that are shared among the members. We also have OnePad Family PADs, both PhrasePADs, and AlphaNumeric ASCII PADs... If needed. We use BitMessage to forward KeySets and PADs to Family Members.... It has all worked very well.... We dumped Skype after it was sold to "The Evil Empire" and switched to FaceTime which is encrypted, End to End, with a locally Generated KeySet for each time it connects, to a know User.... Not even Apple can get in the middle of a FaceTime Video Chat. AlaskaChick heads to NYC, on Sunday, for MDs w/o Boarders Staff Meetings, and we will be FaceTiming for Comms while she is back there, with GPG eMails as backup...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  13. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Yeah. I generate my own GPG keys locally too. I've publically published a few and the others are unpublished. The inherent problem with GPG/PGP is that it lacks forward secrecy. Meaning that if they crack your key, they have access to everything you encrypted under that key.

BTPost likes this.
  14. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

This is new stuff for me which I find to be really interesting and want to understand...so, of course, I got questions.
    I read about GPG which I find to be amazing, especially since it encrypts using a 2048 Bit KeySet...Wow!...that will not be broken with anything but a huge mainframe type computer (think Cray, super-computer) and even that will take time (they would have to use brute force) so unless you are someone very important that a government wants you're message is safe. Frankly, I do not think even local, county or even state government would have the computing power to break a 2048 key. Wow...this blows me away.
    (Note: I have not completely finished reading the white paper about half way through as lots of apps and terms that I don't know so stopping to research them)

Question: How are you sure that GPG code is clean - meaning - no back door? Is the actually code there to look at?

Question: Reference the first part of the paper...it appears, if I am reading this correctly (which is why I am asking) that you are really using two types of encryption to ensure security. The first, is what you call PADs which really are nothing more than a matrix based code (based on whatever you want: asci, hex, cartoon characters) that one makes themselves and changes frequently for an extra layer of security (this type used throughout history). The second, is when the message, which is already encrypted via your PAD, is further encrypted with a 2048 key when sent using GPG. Do I got this right? If so...then this is rock solid, extremely secure, very impressive. Do I understand it correctly so far? - Rick

15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Basically, yup.

Bandit99 likes this.
  16. Bandit99

Thanks Ghrit! Good to know I am on the right track. - Rick

17. BTPost

MonkeyNet Technology is NOT Rocket Science... There is some Rocket Science involved in the Encryption Algorithms, but the use, and Operations are fairly Straight Forward.... One Time PADs, especially One Time Phrase PADs... without the original PAD, is completely UnCrackable, no matter how much Post Processing is applied... Without the Phrases, it is just Numbers... Row column Addresses, and we Encrypt those, with a Message Key as well, which gives another Layer...

Bandit99 and Yard Dart like this.
  18. Bandit99

@BTPost,
    I'm learning so much on this site... I am going to look at GPG to simply encrypt files that I keep on a USB thumbdrive in my safe, stuff like home documents, medical records, accounts... I encrypt them now using an older app that uses 256-bit but been looking around for something better. Will GPG do it? - Rick

19. BTPost

There are parts of the GPG suite that will do that....

20. Bandit99

I am going to see if I can download it now... Rick

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7