Do you care about gun free zones?

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by kkeegan, Nov 9, 2009.

1. kkeegan

kkeegan Weapon Stockpiler

Do you care about "gun free zones"?
    I already know... that if someone were to start a mass shooting in a gun free zone most LAW ABIDING gun owners would not think twice about stoping the carnige... If they had their gun.

The problem is there are places where it is illegal to carry your concealed handgun. IE: College Campus, Airport, Military Bases, Bars, some states .

I am one of those people that would save lives first and worry about the legal ramifications later, however I never carry my weapon in these zones.

Now I know its against the law and that is bad... but if someone at Fort Hood or Virginia Tech was breaking it to carry their concealed handgun and stopped the killer I would imagine that they would be supported by the public.

So my question is: Do you as a law abiding citizen decide for yourself where to protect the lives of yourself and everyone around you? Basically, do you ignore the law pertaining to "gun free zones"?

The reason i ask this is that these so called "gun free zones" are 100% not gun free.:eek: I know thats a very hard concept for some to believe.

Please don't act like you live in a communist country and be afraid to respond, thats ridiculous there is nothing wrong with talking about this.

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

There is not the smallest chance in hell I'll tell when and where I carry. It has exactly nothing to do with fear of response, it is simply a nunya, nor any one else's.

Carry on. Discretely, of course. [beer]

3. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

Personally I think that, as the ecomony worsens, criminals will start zeroing in on places prohibiting guns (path of least resistance). All the more reason to avoid those kinds of establishments.
    myNeighbor.

4. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Have to agree with Ghrit. If you don't have the nads to carry in any so called illegal places, then why would you want to know where anyone else will do it? If I tell you I carry everywhere that does not have a metal detector, will you also start doing it??? Didn't think so.

5. Ivan

Ivan Monkey++

some gun free zones, i don't have an objection too. namely places where everyone's judgment is likely to be impaired(bars, etc.). other then that i think gun-free zones are quite counter productive for safety.

I, of course, would never break the law.[angel]

6. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I have carried in some areas where it was not 'legal' - if I felt the situation warranted it. My life takes precedent over any law.

7. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

So, if I am at a place that serves alcohol for on-sight consumptions, I automatically loose my judgment capabilities if I'm not drinking? BULL! I do not drink alcohol, so I should have to be disarmed because others are? NOPE, TN permit holders fought long and hard to get our law changed so we can carry in restaurants that serve alcohol for on-sight consumption. Before the law changed, I was frequently a "law breaker" because I do not want to leave my firearm in the vehicle.

Courtrooms, secure areas of a jail/police station and other areas like this OK, I can see them being gun free.

just my 2cents (prolly less in this economy), take it for what it's worth

8. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

The first people to be criminalized are the law abiding gun owners -I don't advertise either, and I don't carry. I can if I wanted to, but I don't.

Unless somebody is on my property, I couldn't care less if the criminal goes nuts and opens up with an Uzi at a train station. I am not Batman. I am not responsible for protecting other citizens. I can take care of myself; that's enough.

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Might that include Fort Hood? [troll]

10. Brokor

I don't remember if Hood has private security or not, but in Europe most Army bases have private armed security at the gates and MP's on post, who are also armed.

I imagine every base at least has armed MP's.

11. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I am not Batman or any other type of superhero. I am just a man, but, I'll be damned if I stand by while able to maybe stop a criminal going nuts on a bunch of innocents. For me to do less is not right. JMHO of course

12. B540glenn

B540glenn Should Be Working Founding Member

What's the saying? "MPs, only minutes away when seconds count!" Base police are generally no more effective than regular police at preventing crime.

Since the gun free zones are usually less safe than places where armed law abiding citizens (ALACs) are allowed, minimize the amount of time you have to be in a gun free zone.

13. Brokor

Oh I agree. On the subject of private sector, sure -police suck. I will be the first to say that they are useless and in contrast of a free republic.

As for MP's, I don't grant them any additional merit, but I lived on post for many years...they are sometimes an unfortunate necessity. There are a LOT of stupid people in the military. [winkthumb]

14. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

One more silly cartoon that libs claim they don't understand (when, in fact, they fully do):
    Gun-free%20Zone.

15. SHavis

SHavis dedicated fire poker

There is no safer place for my gun than on my person. Not in a glove box or under a seat.

nuff said. Carry on.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7