DPS Suspends Use of New Handgun Over "Concerns" for 9mm S&W M&P

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by HK_User, Apr 24, 2014.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Give me a .357-SIG over a 9mm Smith & Wesson M&P anyday.

DPS Suspends Use of New Handgun Over "Concerns" | The Texas Tribune

[​IMG]
    Enlarge
    Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm handgun
    The Texas Department of Public Safety confirmed Wednesday that it has stopped using its newest service firearm after “concerns” were reported by state trooper recruits who were the first to use the new Smith & Wesson M&P 9 mm handgun.
    “The Department is currently doing additional testing and evaluation on the Smith & Wesson M&P handgun,” DPS spokesman Tom Vinger told The Texas Tribune in an emailed statement. “The DPS suspended plans to train with and issue the handgun to the current trooper trainee class, after minor concerns were raised when firearms training began during trooper training.”
    A spokeswoman for Smith & Wesson had no immediate comment on the gun’s performance at the DPS training academy in Austin.
    DPS announced last year that it was switching to the lighter 9 mm handgun with this year’s 114-member recruit class, which started training on Jan. 16. The 9 mm handgun replaced the .357-caliber SIG Sauer P226 pistol at the agency’s training facility in Austin.
    Vinger said no money was paid for the guns. Instead, the agency traded 120 SIG Sauers for 120 of Smith & Wesson’s newer guns. They will use, for now, the SIG Sauer P226 pistol. The agency says that it will not cost any additional money to outfit the recruits with the older gun.
    Comment
    • Email
    DPS to Roll Out Mobile Stations to Process Voter IDs
    DPS Fires Rounds, Launches Tear Gas Across Border
    Guns In Texas

stg58 likes this.
  2. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I am looking for a sig p225 / p6. All metal, and when it runs outta fodder, you can still use it as a club.

stg58 likes this.
  3. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I like the M&P for personal use.... I have one in 9mm and one in .40.... But if I was working the streets as a LEO I would definitely prefer the .357 Sig any day!! The stopping power is so much better than a 9mm... even if it does carry less ammo.

4. HK_User

Now if it was a Glock 20! Oh, FBI already found out that they were too powerful!

5. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

My son had one a while back but decided he wanted a .45 instead..... But I really like the 10mm [winkthumb]

stg58 likes this.
  6. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

They have doubled in price over the original offering when imported.

7. cdnboy66

cdnboy66 Monkey++

I have an M&P in 9mm.
    zero concerns, stopping power is what it is, aim appropriately, which reminds me, need more range time

Dogfood, Yard Dart and BTPost like this.
  8. HK_User

Problem is, DPS always has the concern of all that metal around cars.

9. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

It's probably due to the fact that this one can be concealed carry in those states with a large capacity mag restriction.

10. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

When did DPS start listening to anything their recruits had to say? Further, what were the concerns the newb were so worried about?

Jim

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7