Emergency Contact Network

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Minuteman, May 6, 2007.

1. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I thought that I had posted this here but have been searching and can't find it. It is on another site so I carried it over here. This is a good way for people to communicate in an emergency situation. In a SHTF scenario there will be no cell phones and tho ham radio has a farther range there just aren't that many people who use it. C.B.'s are readily available and cheap. And they can be easily boosted to offer a very long range. Google 10 meter C.B.'s. While not legal now, during an emergency it wouldn't matter.
    I would recommend that everyone include a hand held C.B. with rechargable batteries and a solar charger for thier bug out kits.MM

This is a cut and paste from another source.It sounds interesting. MM

After much deliberation and debate, the decision was made to go public with this information. It is felt that this system has the potential to benefit a large number of people. The only way to expand it and to make it widely available is to publicize it. Realizing that this opens it up to potential abuse, it is believed that the benefits far out weigh the risks.

Before I explain what it is and how to access it, let me tell you how it came about.

For some years prior to Y2K, during many discussions about the ramifications of a long term catastrophic event, several assumptions were made and adopted.

1) Preparing for an event greatly increases your chances of surviving it.

2) The more severe and longer lasting the event, the less chance you have of surviving.

3) During a severe and long lasting event, individuals, family units, and small groups will have the least chance of surviving.

4) Like minded people banded together in numbers sufficient for self preservation, and self protection, have the best chance for surviving.

5) There will likely be a mass exodus of people from disaster/urban areas

6) Many of these people will have knowledge and skills beneficial to a survival group.

7) The most likely avenue of escape for the greatest number of people will be along Interstate Highway corridors.

8) A secure and anonymous means of making contact with these refugees would be beneficial.

9) A system for this would have to be relatively inexpensive and readily obtainable before and after an event.

With those assumptions in mind a system was developed whose primary function was to enable friends and family of network members a means to make contact with a group without the need to reveal that groups location. The system was put in place and tested. Several dozen Emergency Contact Kits were put together and distributed with instructions on how to access the network.

In the years following Y2K the system has been maintained and expanded. It has expanded as much as possible from word of mouth. To make it available to a greater number of people and to expand the coverage area necessitates making public it’s existence.

To meet the criteria of readily available and inexpensive, citizen band radio was selected for the network.40 channel base units with an alternate power source were put together and secure locations along Interstate corridors were established. A corridor being an area 5 miles to either side of an interstate highway. Mobile monitoring stations and roving monitors were also developed. These monitoring stations will become operational after a long term catastrophic event has occurred. They will monitor a pre-determined channel, at pre-determined times. And be listening for a pre-determined message.

If an individual, family unit, or small group find themselves in a refugee status, or their survival threatened, the network allows them to contact established survival groups that may be looking to replenish or expand their numbers. Provided that they have the equipment and know how to access the network. You would make your way to an interstate corridor within the coverage area of the network. At the appointed time go to the highest ground around and transmit the given message. Wait 5 minutes and repeat. If you receive no response within the known monitoring period, then you would proceed along the corridor until the next monitoring time and repeat the procedure. Eventually you will come into range of a monitoring station and will receive a response.

The network can also be utilized for contact and communications between established groups to share information and establish trade.
    Emergency Contact Kits can be assembled easily and cheaply. They consist of a hand held 40 channel, battery powered C.B. radio, rechargeable batteries, and a solar powered charger, wrapped in padding and stored in a .30 caliber ammo can. The entire kit can be assembled for less than $100.Dozens of these have been given out and set on closet shelves or in the trunks of vehicles.

As for vehicles with mobile C.B.’s, they have a much farther range and are preferable to a hand held unit, however, vehicle travel may not be possible or permitted and therefore one of these kits should be on hand for a back-up.

If you are interested in this and want to be able to access the network, then contact me and I will give you recommendations for your contact kit and give you the protocols for making contact.

Be advised that this system does not offer continuous coverage. You may have to go as far as 100 or more miles before you come into range of a monitoring station.Also be advised that by making this information public it opens it up for potential abuse. When contact is made you should exercise all prudence and caution. At no time will a monitoring station ask you your exact location, or direct you to come directly to them.

If you would like to establish this system in your area or help expand the existing coverage area all that is required is that you have, or are willing to purchase, a 40 channel base station and have an alternate means of powering it. This can be as simple as a car battery, a solar trickle charger and an inverter. The entire package can be put together for around $300.Mobile monitoring stations (base units set up in a van, trailer, etc.) and roving monitors (C.B. equipped vehicles) can also be utilized. However the unsure nature of vehicle travel makes these unreliable. It is preferred to have a semi-permanent station. If you live within 10 miles of an interstate highway, or have access to a secure site within that area. Like a hunting lease, friends or families place etc., then all that is required is that you be willing and able to monitor the prescribed channel at the prescribed times and to forward information on any contacts. You do not have to reveal who you are, or exactly where you are. You do not have to make any personal contact with anyone. You can simply forward information on to another station in the network.

Even if you are outside of a corridor, you can still access the network and participate by setting up a base station and be able and willing to contact people or groups and relay information between stations.

Before anyone asks, the coverage of this system is not what it used to be. Right now it is mainly along the I-40 and I-35 corridors. Around Central and SE. Oklahoma, N. Texas, N. Central and Western Arkansas. MM

2. Minuteman

There is no need to PM me for contact protocols. I will post it here for anyone interested. If you add a contact kit to your BOB then print and put this in with it.
    Also, FYI, this is based on a similiar system that Militia groups use but thier contact channels are different. I don't recall all of them now but I know they use channel 5. MM

Contact Protocols for Emergency Contact Network

Nicknamed the C C & 7 system.
    Person initiating contact is designated a "Civilian Contact"
    Contact is made on Citizen Band radio channel 7

In the event of a long term catastrophic event all monitoring stations will activate.
    Monitoring times will be;
    1 hour after sunrise
    1 hour before and 1 hour after high noon
    1 hour after sunset

Contact Message will be "Charlie Charlie" (Civilian Contact)

During a monitoring time, broadcast on channel 7 in a clear and slow voice "Charlie Charlie, I repeat, Charlie Charlie"
    Wait 5 minutes and repeat message .Do this for the entire monitoring time.
    If you receive no response continue along the corridor until the next monitoring time and try again.

When contact is made you will be informed to "Proceed ahead". Go up to the next seven on your radio. 17, then 27, then 37, then back to 7.

To increase your chances of making contact;
    Travel to, and along, a corridor known to be covered by the network.
    Broadcast from the highest point you can.
    If travel on the interstate is not safe or possible, travel on a road parallel to it, no more than 5 miles to either side.

3. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I thought you had posted it earlier as well. Good thing for folks to print out and toss in the BOB or truck just in case.

4. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

"WE", have already built 4 separate radio stacked units....
    Stacked, as in they are quite literally a stack of radios all connected via various means......cases being INSULATED from each other...

Now, we use the 102 inch stainless steel whip antennas, with the large spring bases....Those are compatable with the 10 and 11 meter bands.
    Each stack consists of:

1) 1970's era CB radio that has a 5 watt output, and the 23 channels.
    2) 1980's era CB radio that has a 4 watt output and upper and lower sidebands, plus the standard 40 channels, giving you 120 channels.
    3) An older ANALOG type of programmable scanner unit.....(still has it's uses today!)
    4) Newer DIGITAL type of scanner unit that has to be programmed via computer with the aid of specialty software.
    5) 2-3way antenna switches
    6) 2- 1970's era SWR/RF meters.
    7) (here sometimes a secondary CB radio)
    8) A 10 meter, 5-watt/25watt ham radio.
    9) Don't forget those lightning arrrestors, PLEASE!
    10) Heavy Duty braided grounding cables...
    11) (Note: with a RV sized van with a fiberglas topper, and our BOT with a wood covering, it was imperative to make a GROUND plane area for the antennas....WE used 2 sheets of diamond plate style aluminum, cut to 36 inches by 48 inches, as required to cover the needed square inches for the ground needs.)

Note: all power output/TX radios, use the heavier .430(?) o.d. caoxial cable for low loss.
    All receivers/scanners, utilize the thinner .240 o.d. coaxial cable to cut down on weight.

In addition to the above, WE have several of the older type receivers like the Radio Shack DX-200's and the multi-band receivers.
    Each of our 4 vehicle's and our BOT has a complete set of radios, and all printed manuals for each operator.

We also carry additional spare parts and spare-backup antennas.
    Also, some "long wire antennas", that can be strung up on location.
    Recently, we added a few deep cycle marine type batteries, heavy 200 amp cables, special battery shut-off switches, and 12volt DC-45 watt solar panels.

I also picked up 2 sets of FRS and GMRS radio units with dash/solar chargers for their rechargeable batteries as well as a couple of the 12Volt DC devices that allow you to change voltages from 1.5, 3, 4,5, 6, 9 and 12 volt outputs.
    Total outlay was somewhere in the $5K area for everything, so far......
    Which includes 2 generators, 1-4000 watts and 1-2500 watts standard output.
    Bill

5. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

(P.S.)
    I did forget the MOST important thing however.....
    WE have them all "enclosed" in EMP protective cages.
    No sense in taking a chance with that amount of electronics.......
    Right?
    Bill

6. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Now, as for antennas....
    I mentioned the 102 inch whip, but unless you have the "Foldover" mounts, they can be a real hassle!
    Next, we have the large, 54 inch height by 36 inch diameter discone anttenas....
    They serve well as scanner antennas on a LOT of frequencies, and can be used to transmit on, handling up to 2000 watts!
    Next, we have the old scanner type antennas, that are set-up for UHF/VHF.
    Throw in a few magnet mount type scanner and cb antennas and there we are!
    A lot of commo equipment, but, I felt it was needed...."JUST-IN-CASE".
    Bill

7. Minuteman

Great info DF. That's what we are looking for. You seem to be pretty knowledgable on electronics. Do you have any recommendations on how to boost the out put of a handheld CB? The portable contact kits are standard issueto a lot of people for contact post SHTF but thier drawback is range. The mobile base units have plenty of power but are not practical for a bug out, grab and go kit.

8. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I do know that there are some units being sold, "as-is" on ebay...
    However I don't know if they will work on handheld units...
    They claim to be able to boost up to 500 watts with some units...
    It all depends on your output, that in turn depends on the amount of current draw available, to the finals in each transmitter.
    Probably not something I'd do with a handheld unit. I'm not much in the way of modifications, I wish I were though!
    There are some 110-120 ac "Linear" units that will go as high as 1,000 watts output, and they are even available in bi-linear, you pull-in, as well as TX that amount.
    Of course, they are very illegal to connect to your set.....But, I knew several people in the Denver area alone, that were running at least 500 watt Bi-linears for years!
    Then you have the problem with balancing your SWR's and your RF output....I've seen a few antennas melted into puddles, as they could not handle any more than about 20 watts total output.
    I bought 1 cb off ebay and was a bit surprised when it arrived....
    It had 3 extra knobs, one in place of the Radio Shack logo!
    I have yet to figure them all out yet, BUT, it has an output of over 7 1/2 watts thru the swr/rf meter! Probably NOT something I'd dare to use at home.....UNLESS, there was a real dire need for it.
    Kind of like having a license for those danged GMRS and FRS units, as well as 2,6,and 10 meter hams.....In a Scenario, where it is an emergency, whos' really going to come and give me a ticket?
    In Denver we used to call the FCC, Colorado Uncle Charlie! But they were stationed in Lincoln, Nebraska as I recall, and NOT too far away!
    I doubt they'd be much of any real hassle given that they would probably be looking out for their families, and not to worried about someone "running power"!
    Bill

9. Okie_Doke

Okie_Doke Monkey+

Thanks yall for posting this. Communications is not my forte, but something I need to become versed in.

10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

This is a very good system to build on for the future. Modern technology can help expand on this, and provide some SECURE Comms for setting up Face-Meets for Traveling Groups looking for contacts with local BugIn Fixed Groups, again without giving up the OPSec for either Group. thanks for resurrecting this thread from the Archives.

11. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

At a kilowatt out 200-240v with heavy 8ga wires is preferable to 110-120 volt. :D

BTPost likes this.
  1. Illini Warrior
  2. DKR
  3. William Warren
  4. JA40
  5. Tully Mars
  6. bumpshadow
  7. hitchcock4
  8. DKR
  9. Bandit99
  10. BTPost
  11. DKR