Emergency kits

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by monkeyman, Aug 6, 2005.

1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

As old Boy Scout myself, I congratulate your father, for instilling values in the daughter that will serve her well. ;) and as a new driver, make sure you know how your car works, (so you have a clue when it doesn't), can change a tire on your own (because you may have to), know what fluid goes where and why, and have a spare set of keys in your wallet or purse. (Because you WILL lock yourself out sooner or later.) If it is 4x4, remember that it does not make you go faster in bad weather, and that EVERYONE has 4 wheel brakes, so it does not help you stop (never overdrive the existing conditions).
    And welcome to the Monkey Tree.

2. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Aloha @floramay. What is that gadget in your avatar?

3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

That would be Daisy Ridley in the force awakens. (Start Wars) so that item would. be a movie prop.

Hanzo likes this.
  4. You can never have too many water containers. I'd also recommend a broad spectrum antibiotic as well as something for parasites.

5. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

All this and no one mentioned map and compass.
    If you are going to be on foot, and likely blocked or impassable roads, how are you going to know your way around ?
    If you do not practice orienteering, the tools are useless.
    Most people are accustomed to driving their roads home but things are very different when your on foot, and add really bad circumstances, and it really gets more interesting/dangerous.
    What might in peace time be a day hike might just turn in to a week or more, adding bad weather, martial law or riots.
    Do you have the stamina to walk home ?
    If you have to cross a river, can you swim with all your gear or have reliable floatation? Trash bags work well for a lot of things.
    A poncho is not just a rain protection, shelter, but a stealth tool (if it is a cammo style matching the surroundings.)
    In certain circumstance it might be best to hike during the night and rest during the daylight hours.
    This might include using a flash light with an added red lens so as not to draw attention to your self, and save you night vision.
    When ever I drive some where, I am looking over the land scape, and viewing what I might have to pass back through, to get home.

ghrit likes this.
  1. JC Refuge
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. JC Refuge
  6. TheJackBull
  7. JC Refuge
  8. Merkun
  9. Tully Mars
  10. Motomom34
  11. GOG