Food Storage Planner Spreadsheet

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by melbo, Jul 6, 2006.

Tags:
  1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Belated reply but no, I never received the modified spreadsheet.
    After all these years, Somebody must have improved on it.

2. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Mel I have a provisioning sheet i use for motorhome but the system wont let me upload mine so I've linked her copy ..... she has an awesome site for cooking in small places.

Provisioning

You can customize the items and then input the number of weeks you need and the items you have on hand and their locations (A, B, C, D are her locations on her boat)

The sheet calculates how much you need to provision.

I've customized this for what i use but I cook more than many people

3. Mike

Mike Ol' Army Sergeant Monkey

I have always thought of a relational database feeding a spreadsheet. Input could be done via barcode. You might have to do some of your own barcodes, but most label makers will do that for you. What I was thinking is scan things in, scan them out. Then it would be easy to see stockage and usage so things could be replaced in a timely manner and overstockage of some items would be avoided.

No promises, but I will look at the spreadsheet from here, give it some pondering, and see if something like this isn't readily done. If I get it to work, most smart phones will read barcodes. Interface it with the laptop or desktop, and shazaam. But don't get in a hurry for it. This will be a project to try when I have some free time.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2015
    Pineknot and Sapper John like this.
  4. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I was fiddling around with the sheet in this thread... I decided its use is not intuitively obvious for me as to how it works so I found another one that contains basic ingredients and shows how much they estimated per person.

AT THE TOP ENTER:
    1) The number of people and
    2) The length of time
    ON THE SIDE ENTER
    3) what you have on hand at the side
    and that will automatically calculate you a list of what you need.

For me this was much more usable. You may need to upgrade the version as this is an old excel spreadsheet.
    (NOTE 1:The Sheet below is missing canned meats so might want to add that for yourself)
    NOTE: 2 my personal preference is for one sheet. Multiple sheets are easy to get the forumla's off if you make a mistake or copy and they are very time consuming to correct.

Here is the site I got this from.
    Mormon Food Storage | Food Storage LDS

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
    AllTrades and Motomom34 like this.
  5. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I've also got to compute the 'livestock' into our food storage. With our food allergies and health problems, our food storage is going to be specialized. Though the chickens can free-range our yard in good weather to feed themselves. I plan to grow food for them during the cold season. And the cats can learn to hunt for their food. Scruffy however will need us to feed him.

6. weaselhawk

weaselhawk Guest

i eat meat 90% of the time not cooked fancy just cook it dont need spreadsheet for that but i do use a spread sheet to keep my clothing cost like i get 12 coats dirty in winter so say one month i wear one coat all month it get so dirty that would take 4 wash to clean at that point its cheaper to burn it and go to goodwill and buy a new one on 1/2 off day for 5$

Ganado likes this.
  7. Grandpa Patch

Grandpa Patch Monkey+

First: This is a very useful tool. Thanks to everyone who created, edited and updated this. It might take a bit of time to get the wife fully involved in keeping this updated, so I won't be able to verify the accuracy without double checking things that are on hand myself.

Second: Just for information. I opened this up with Google's Spreadsheet software (Google Sheets) and was able to open the file with both the online or offline versions. So this will be added as another file that I keep backup up on my phone's MicroSD card.

Thanks again to survivalmonkey and all the great resources.

Dunerunner likes this.
  1. JC Refuge
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. RJFab
  8. duane
  9. TnAndy
  10. john316
  11. DKR
  12. DKR
  13. apache235
  14. Ganado
  15. alaskachick
  16. Motomom34
  17. Bandit99
  18. Asia-Off-Grid