Kelly Kettle

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by 2BrothersAdventures, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Below is our video review of the Kelly Kettle kit (aka Volcano) cook system. This system comes from Ireland and has been used there for ages by fishermen to boil water and cook shore lunches. This is a very efficient system that minimizes the environmental impact of boiling water over fire. One advantage of this system is that a wide variety of fuel types can be used, and it only requires a small amount of fuel to quickly boil water.

Kelly Kettle - Volcano Kettle

YouTube - Kelly Kettle

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2014
  2. rictus

rictus Monkey+

In the field, I use a "hobo stove", which is just a can inside of another can. The inside can is half full of paraffin, with numberous "mop string" wicks. It will boil a quart of water in about 5 minutes, with no risk of leakage or dangerous "blowout' type fires. It's very low cost, low tech.

3. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

These are great... got the stainless model and the all copper model as well... good stuff...

4. Mousetrapper

Mousetrapper Monkey+

Kelly Kettles are excellent, I've got the 1.5L one and brought it to the boil in 5 mins using just 12 or so toilet roll inners.

Never tried the kit, it looks a pain having to remove the pan to feed fuel in, which you have to do quite often.

5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I have had the Kelly Kettle for a few years now, even used it in Iraq when a good cup of hot tea was in order. It is standard kit for me, and it has a permanent place in my bag.

6. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Nice! I am going to get a couple of these for my camp kit.

7. wildone_uk

wildone_uk Monkey+

have had 2 for years now best thing ever

8. Brokor

Latest info on the Kelly Kettle. I just received an email on their status. There's a discount code as well for any interested in purchasing one. I will be anticipating the "trekker" in stainless steel myself.

9. chshrkt

chshrkt Monkey+

How is the durability of the Aluminum KK? (i.e. denting when kept in a pack, heat fatigue, etc.)
    I would love to have the "Scout" size in Stainless for my wife and I, but I may end up going with the "Base Camp" just because I want SS.
    I know the Aluminum is lighter, but for camping and prepping, weight is not that big of an issue for us.

10. Brokor

I have the small "Trekker" aluminum kettle, and it arrived in the mail with a small dent, per the usual post office antics. It was packed really well, too. They must have been jumping on it or something. Anyway, the thing holds up really well. It's not cheap aluminum like a tin can- it's high grade and very sturdy. Be certain to clean it out thoroughly once it arrives since you don't want the aluminum dust and grease to be ingested.

I have taken mine in numerous packs, and even brought it with me on an air assault mission in Iraq where I camped with it for 30 days in the middle of nowhere. The Iraqi Army guys loved it since they were using an old propane stove to heat their tea and I was done long before their own water started to boil. Clean up is not too easy; the inside of the volcano kettle needs to be wire brushed out to remove any soot/tar from the wall of the chimney or else it will build up over time. I use a small wire brush that I believe came with some type of kit I bought at Wal-Mart or something, I forget. The Kelly Kettle is fantastic overall. I had no problems with its durability. The only part that I foresee being replaced is the base, but that's because you are burning a hot fire in it all the time, so it does wear out. The aluminum of the kettle itself is much more durable.

11. survivor44

survivor44 Monkey+

How much does the small one weigh?

12. Brokor

Kelly Kettle has an American website now: http://www.kellykettleusa.com/kelly-kettles.html
    The prices are VERY affordable now, especially compared to what I paid to have them shipped from overseas.
    kk.

The small "trekker" aluminum weighs 1.3 lbs and the stainless weighs 1.7 lbs. I have both of these, and they are absolutely amazing.

The Kelly Kettle is easy to use, just add your own material (twigs, pine cones, leaves, etc.) and light it up. I use a cotton ball to ignite mine to make it even simpler. The volcano kettle will quickly burn, heating your water in only a couple minutes. Never carry fuel again.

13. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

That is cool; I may have to buy a third one. This is a very useful item and mine gets used a lot!

14. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Nobody's mentioned what wonderful air fresheners the Kelly Kettle is after being used. I have two of the big stainless ones (one leaked slightly and Kelly shipped me a free replacement) and burn mostly pine twigs, or over a TLUD wood stove. After they cool and are carried inside for the night they give the whole place a wonderful wood smoke smell.

HD

15. munchy

munchy Monkey+++

Not sure if this will help but, try coating the wall with dishsoap and allowing to dry. The soot will wash off easily after use. I use a small contact lense cleaner bottle of dawn, that lasts for over a week.

16. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

It was raining and there was very little dry wood to be found on a recent camping trip, half way through the bacon being cooked, my propane stove decided to take a dump. I fired up my large stainless Kelly kettle with twigs and bark and finished a pound of bacon on top, cooked a mess of scrambled eggs with sausage and onions, toasted several slices of bread and had hot coffee for four. It was a life saver that morning. My entire bike camping kit consists of a Kelly kettle, ceramic cook and dining ware, a set of dinner-ware, a good knife, rain wear, a jungle hammock, a rain fly, a light-weight sleeping bag, my Martin back-packer guitar, a battery powered lamp, my Colt Woodsman, some seasonings, a portable fly/bait casting rod and reel combination, a first-aid kit, some freeze-dried meals, toilet paper, a Spetznaz shovel, a machete, some of that wax and saw-dust fire-starter, a can or two of sterno, and a camel-back. It all fits comfortably on the luggage rack of my dual-sport and leaves the saddle bags and tank bag for extra clothing and personal items.

BTPost likes this.
  17. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

i seen no whiskey in ur bag who goes camping with no whiskey???

1. JC Refuge
  2. OlDiceGames
  3. Andy the Aussie
  4. JC Refuge
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. Alanaana
  7. Motomom34
  8. Coyote Ridge
  9. Motomom34
  10. Andy the Aussie
  11. TinyDreams
  12. Coyote Ridge