Gear Review Marathon GSAR Automatic Watch Review

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by melbo, Jun 23, 2010.

1. lchurch

lchurch Monkey

I love my GSAR!

I have had my Marathon GSAR for almost 6 months. It runs about -0.5 second per day! Amazing for a mechanical watch.

I wear this watch about 95% of the time. With the metal bracelet (highly recommended) it looks and wears beautifully. It's lighter and smaller than my Seiko Sumo (now a desk queen) and it's easy to read.

Did someone say the lume is bright? Yup, you can't miss it at night.

Did I say that I love this watch?

larry

2. Echo5Charlie

Echo5Charlie Monkey

Well, after having a 2 week training period and finding that I rated BAS Type II (which I forgot about, I had been out of the military for over 7 years) I decided to put the money to good use. I just finished placing the order for the stainless band.

Tonight I will sync the Marathon with the atomic clock and see about the +/- on time keeping.

I still have zero regrets with the purchase of the watch. Sometimes you get something and know it was meant to be...this is one of those things!

3. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Sending watch #1 off for service - will update later.

4. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Why? Something happen to necessitate the need for servicing? (just respond when you update)

5. dsonyay

dsonyay Monkey

Wanted to add a bit to this thread. The GSAR is available through the government purchase system (GSA). Any government agency (not only the military can buy any product listed in GSA that has a NSA number.

Wish I'd have had my supply guy buy one before I retired because they cost less than half the retail price advertised on Marathon's website. Current GSA pricing for the GSAR is 472.00. And the metal band is 105.00.
    https://www.gsaadvantage.gov/advantage/s/search.do?q=0:06645215580133&db=0&searchType=0

I agree, there is NO official watch of the armed forces, but I suppose if it's available for purchase

BTW.. this is everything available through GSA by Marathon...
    https://www.gsaadvantage.gov/advant...hType=1&q=24:5MARATHON+WATCH+COMPANY+LTD.&p=1

Look on page two for the Chronogragh version of the GSAR. This watch retail for almost 4000.00 through Marathon.

Here's a list of everything under "watches", (Casio G Shocks are available and a couple of other companies I've never heard of.)
    https://www.gsaadvantage.gov/advantage/s/search.do?searchType=1&q=1:4ADV.OFF.5411.15*&p=1

Only way to buy through GSA is through the government supply system with a special VISA card (called a government purchase card). I work for the US Navy again and am trying to get approval for us to get good watches like a GSAR. We deploy in wet, salty environments and a good watch that can stand up to the elements is essential. A watch that is easy to read at night and requires no batteries is a plus as well.

Have a good one. :)

6. haltoninc

haltoninc Never Mistake My Silence As A Sign Of Weakness...

I managed to break the ss marathon band while hiking Mt. Mitchell this weekend, gotta admit it took a pretty good shot. Kudos to www.topspecus.com for their help in getting replacements for the expansion links and clasp, nothing gave on the rest of the band.

7. melbo

So I finally had to break down and get my GSAR serviced. I may have dropped it or banged it but it suddenly started to run around 5 minutes fast each 24 hours.

I contacted Jim Madrid (Original designer of the SAR series) at maxmadco and he referred me to James at Midwest Watch and Clock for service. I sent my watch to James and he took the movement apart entirely, ultrasonically cleaned each piece and then lubricated everything as he reassembled it. He regulated my watch to +/- 1 second per 24 hours, cleaned and brushed the entire watch and sent it back to me. It looks like a brand new GSAR and it keeps time like a chronograph now!!

Of course, mechanical movements are susceptible to gravity and g forces while you wear them so the time may vary slightly from day to day. This regulation was done at the crown down position which is where he feels the watch will be at most of the time. I highly recommend MWWC and am planning to send my backup GSAR to him for regulation as well. James also spent a good hour on the phone with me describing everything he did and nearly everything about the Marathon SAR series.

Screenshot from 2012-12-01 17:21:46.

50578809. 50578809.

8. Sven and Ole

Sven and Ole Monkey

I joined the forum based on this review and after much research, I am now the proud owner of a GSAR. Mine is running about +3 seconds/day from the factory, and built like a tank. I highly suggest getting the SS band, you can install it yourself, but it takes some patience. To adjust the bracelet you need two 3/64" x 1 screwdrivers (and a 3rd steady hand) cheaply found online (the screwdrivers, not the hand). Thanks for the great review.

Edit: To clairfy the screwdriver size.

CATO and melbo like this.
  9. Sven and Ole

Sven and Ole Monkey

Sorry for the double post:

I also ordered a few extra sets of GSAR 20mm spring bars from these guys, they are cheap (US$4 a set), nice to have on hand and something that would be hard to find on a rainy day. I'll vouch for these guys, they arrived as promised but shipping took a while.

Spring Bars for SAR / GSAR / TSAR 20mm

10. melbo

Still ticking

11. melbo

12. melbo

I went orange with my backup GSAR
    image.

13. sarmajor

sarmajor Retired Warrior

Pretty sure you meant to say Chronometer.

melbo likes this.
  14. melbo

Thanks for the correction :)
    I just learned the difference and had always thought the terms were interchangeable.

A chronograph is simply a watch with a built-in stopwatch feature. It's likely to have one or more sub-dials or a small liquid crystal display (LCD) panel to keep track of the elapsed time. Chronographs have extra pushers in addition to the crown for the stopwatch start/stop and reset functions.

A chronometer is a very accurate (usually) mechanical watch with a high grade movement. The movement has been finely adjusted at the factory in several physical positions and temperature environments. A chronometer is almost always accredited and certified by either the watch manufacturer or by independent standards laboratories such as the Swiss based COSC (Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronomètres).

Brokor likes this.
  15. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

Been curious about these watches for awhile. Thanks for the thread and the info. I have a Tissot that is my dress watch and it has been back to the factory twice, not happy with it and would never buy one. I have a couple of luminox that have served me well, and wear them for everyday use. Did not know the difference between a chronometer and a chronograph, I thought they were the same.

Brokor likes this.
  1. enloopious
  2. timberwolf50
  3. Yard Dart
  4. Jeff Brackett
  5. mage2
  6. Brokor
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7