One Man and His Chainsaw!

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Tyler Danann, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Tyler Danann

Tyler Danann Monkey+

Chainsaw in the mountains against an awkward tree!

There's things could have gone a bit better but the 'near-miss' is interesting and gripping!

2. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

the "Prepping the c/saw" needed to include sharpening the chain!

Love the look of "why isn't this tree falling?"

uh, why is the camera person where the tree was supposed to fall?

glad he at least ditched the saw when he ran for safety.

that rope/chain to control the fall of the tree needed to be much higher up!

3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Now, did he learn how to properly hinge later on? Because he surely failed on this one. Did he learn from his mistakes.
    , or will his next video be his last?

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

That Yahoo, obviously was never a Tree Faller... and doesn't know much about the Biz of falling Trees.....
    His Notch Cut was to high on the Tree, and WAY to Small. They need to be at least 1/2 way thru the tree....
    What was that business of using the Top of the Bar, while doing the Flat part of the Notch Cut, rather then going around to the other side of the Tree,and doing it correctly......
    His Back Cut was LOW, and not angled into the Notch Cut, near enough. (Was way to Flat)
    His Chain was about as dull as his tactics.... He should learn to sharpen his, chains Properly, rather than trying to Gnaw
    his way thru the Tree, like a beaver. Those were not good sized shavings coming from the Saw, while he was doing the
    Notch Cut More like dust.... and the sound of his saw, after he Prep'ed it, was pathetic, like it needed a good tuneup, or at least an
    new SparkPlug. Oh Well, Now he has a Widow Maker to deal with, and he will be lucky to get it on the ground without doing himself, some REAL Damage.

5. kckndrgn

There's a thread on "Survialist Boards" where the person taking the video posted it and the guy cutting the tree responded. Said he did nothing wrong in the felling of the tree.

So, no he learned no lessons.

6. BTPost

Typical BackYard Yahoo......

7. kckndrgn

Oh, and anyone notice the chain break was broken?

8. BTPost

I was waiting for him to put on one of those New Fangled Faceshields, and a complete set of Bucking Chaps, like the the city boys wear to protect themselves from that Evil Chain.... You NEVER see those in the Woods, except when the OSHA Inspectors are heading your way. Even then they almost NEVER leave the Landing, if real Logging is in progress.

Tyler Danann likes this.
  9. Tyler Danann

Tyler Danann Monkey+

Some answers.

Yes he wasn't getting everything perfect but I will try and explain some things.

Chainsaw had recently been fitted with a brand new chain, so all the talk of it being blunt is peculiar. However the tree was wet I am told so this will have influenced the 'powdery' look I expect.

Tree was being cut so high as it is being used later on for building a cabin off of (it'll be one of the four post corners)

Cameraman should have been off to one side, but it may have affected the camera angle?

Notch cut and back-cut were certainly not ideal, chains were deployed to help prevent the tree falling down the mountainside.

Mountain Man Mike was rushed that day, under camera pressure is my best estimate. Some people will make errors when under the camera spotlight, the same as many folk cannot work as effectively with people staring at them.

He has cut MANY trees down for pay before by cabin-folk and has never been injured doing so, as many as 300 trees. I've seen them stacked and raised off the ground in the aftermath. :)

10. BTPost

It only takes .5 seconds for a chain to be dulled, when hitting anything, but WOOD. That chain was so dull, it was gnawing it's way thru the Tree. "Recently changed" just mean exactly that, but the Pictures show Dust sized bits coming off the Saw. That, My Friend, is a DULL Chain, and the Moisture Content of the Wood, has little to do with Shaving Size. This Backwoods Yahoo would Never make, it as a Tree Faller, in ANY Commercial Logging Operation, in the PNW or Alaska. The Site Boss, would take ONE Look at that video, and that would be then end, for that Guy, as a Faller. Maybe they would use him on that Landing, as a ChockerMan, but that would be about it. Why did he need chains, when a proper Notch Cut, and Back Cut, and a few Wedges, placed appropriately would have dropped that Tree any where he wanted..... He got exactly what he should have gotten, out of that Tree, considering ALL the Mistakes, he Made. How many Hours did he spend, dealing with the WidowMaker, he was left with? Inquiring Minds, Want to Know.... I would be embarrassed to be seen in such a video..... ..... YMMV....

Tracy, ghrit, kellory and 1 other person like this.
  11. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

BT +++
    That guy is a walking nightmare.
    Im not the best logger , but I have dropped trees for 50+ years on my land. From then down to toothpicks and all in-between, Woodmizer (two of them) jointers ,tablesaws , shappers ,thickness planners plus many more wood butchery tools built all the buildings.

Ok now the Best Lager , can be sampled here after a day of wood working ;) ..

Not that I want that guy to be hurt , BUT THAT IS NOT ANYWAY TO WORK SAFE.
    Sloth

BTPost likes this.
  12. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

agreed. That guy has no wood cutting savvy.

13. Tyler Danann

Tyler Danann Monkey+

Plenty of balls though, and quick responses. It was his idea to show the incident off. One error-prone video is good as a learning tool for others. There's those out there this video has probably saved from an injury or two.

Better that than be dead!

14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Agreed, There's a certain skill and art to being a flathead He's not even close but he does have more luck than sense or skill in throwing a tree.

Tyler Danann likes this.
  15. kckndrgn

New Chain does not equal sharp chain, and all it takes is a little bit of debris in the bark to completely dull a chain. I am by no means an expert and probably know enough to get me trouble when felling a tree. I know I have never had to make "sawing" actions while cutting, instead let the chainsaw to it's job.

Oh, and two hands on the CS while cutting, ALWAYS, never relax or divert your attention, that's when the CS will bite you, literally!

16. kckndrgn

That's what video editing is for! If the video is too long cut some of it out, so much easier now days with digital instead of film or cassette tape

17. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Just because the chain was new does not mean it was put on in the correct direction. Yup the dust indicates to me the chain was on backwards.

YMMV

I wonder how many Chainsaws have been crushed in the process? Aftermath is a good description for that picture show of death.

Aftermath
    " Signs or results of an event or occurrence considered collectively, esp of a catastrophe or disaster"

A lawyer is a tool, like any other. Use 'em for their intended purpose, then set them back in the wild, like any other wild beastie.

Do you intend to make your own horse shoes as well. or let a black smith make 'em, and a farrier fit 'em? Let 'em do their jobs, they can do it better than you can.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2014
    BTPost likes this.
  18. kellory

Stage fright is a very good reason for him not to do it again.

19. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

When I have a funny tree to drop I have a 3/4" doubled braided line that I pull up and tie it two thirds up & then the other 200 feet plus is tied to the tractor or excavator. sometimes I've used both to get the tree to be pulled the way I want . If I can't get the machines in the bush , then it's blocks & shivs directing the line so the tractor operator pulls when needed Via 2 way radios since they can't see me. Climbing & dropping limbs as I go up & then dropping in sections or lowering in sections is very time consuming . Here is a guy with horseshoes :

Why I like line !! & cheating ;)

BTPost and kellory like this.
  20. kellory

I hope they had the road blocked off. I get nervous dropping trees too close to structures. I would have had two pull ropes or chains with come-alongs pulling, but I'm cautious that way. nice cutting though.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7