Propane Prices in your area?

Discussion in 'Peak Oil' started by tacmotusn, Mar 7, 2011.

1. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I intended to fill a 100 gallon propane tank today. I rent my tank from the company where I have been buying fuel. I have been told that prices were abnormally high for months. I held off for as long as I could. Today I had to bite the bullet. 40 gallons cost me $340 ...... yup almost $8.50 per gallon. It seems to me that the last time I filled it, I bought right at 60 gallons, and the price was around $300. At that time I thought that price was high. What are you all paying?

2. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Just got a propane delivery at one of my clients. $3.96/gal plus taxes

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

My contract price (last year) was 2.80. The contract is fulfilled, and the next fill will be at 320, if the estimate is correct. (+tax and "fees")

4. Gafarmboy

Gafarmboy Monkey+++

Filled up the tank end of January for $2.89 a gallon in South Georgia. Other wise known as God's Country[flag]

Gafarmboy
    If you can not protect what you own, you won't own it long.

5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Whew, it's free in my living room right now!

Man, that beef stew was amazing! Home grown, baby!!!

6. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Brokor, the amateur Anesthetist, passing gas to make people pass out...

7. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Thanks for the replies. I am going to look into purchasing, vice leasing my tank, and will be looking for a new supplier.

8. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

A 100 gallon tank... last week... $292.00. I overheard someone at the feed mill just today paying $350.

9. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

You're being RIPPED !
    Our prices vary from 1.59 in the summer ( and out last fillup ) to having paid as much as 3.99 in the past.

Part of the rip you're paying is for that small amount, you know. If you don't use more than that, you might consider some 100lb ( 23gal ) tanks. I can get them filled several places around town ( you haul ) for 60-70 bucks....that works out to <3.00/gal.

Also, you might buy yourself a large tank. I quit renting several years ago, and put in a 500gal underground, then last year, I picked up 2 more 500gal above ground tanks, one for 800 bucks that was 25% full ( I figured the gas was worth almost 300 alone ) and another for FREE if I just came and got, AND it was 60% full !

Now I figure we have 3-4 years worth of propane in storage, allowing me to buy WHEN the price is right.......or giving us a long time with stored propane if things go south.

10. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

A few weeks ago it was going for $2.99/gal to fill a 20 gal tank. I'm not sure what the price is today.

11. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

In Florida where propane is a very common heating fuel and more it is totally unregulated price wise. Let the buyer beware. No oversight at all. People get sucked in by good startup deals and a rental of a big tank. Later it is BOHICA. Actually the tank and the price was for my little brother's place, and I had encouraged him to get his big tank filled because of my fears for radical spikes in fuel prices if and when the dollar no longer is the standard currency for bulk crude.

12. TnAndy

Yeah...that's why I set the other two tanks in....ride out price spikes, and have back up fuel. Plan is the extra two tanks won't ever be cut on, just used for storage unless worst case.

13. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

20Lb Tank Equals 5 gallons

A 20 lb tank re-fills in the upper midwest under $18 everywhere ...... low as $16 someplaces

14. saver11

saver11 Monkey+

15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Had my little 4.8 gallon bottles filled for 15.00 each...
    Lady ask me if i had cash..I replied sure do...

16. Georgia_Boy

Georgia_Boy Monkey+++

I just took advantage of a summer special @ $2.40, normally now @ $2.60. SE GA
    Topped off 2- 500 gal tanks.
    GB

17. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Propane here in my part of Alaska is $3.73/USG... Feel lucky....

18. CaboWabo5150

CaboWabo5150 Hell's coming with me

Propane in NW Lower Peninsula is going for $2.59...

Prices

19. TnAndy

Summer fill up price from the place I got it last year at 1.59 was 2.99 this year ! I passed. They sent another post card again couple weeks back, so I called again.....2.39/gal this time.....waiting has it's benefits. :D

The 2.39 price is about in line with what it ought to be considering the wholesale price is about 50 cents over last year's price....but double at 2.99 was a rip.

20. mauistacy

mauistacy Monkey+++

Price of paradise Hawaii $6.76/gallon We do not have natural gas here. Dryers have to be converted to propane.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7