Seed Saving Basics

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by RightHand, Nov 8, 2007.

Tags:
  1. ArmedBear1746

ArmedBear1746 Monkey++

I don't know why, but seeing this sticky made me think that after SHTF, Marijuana is going to be a cash crop.... call me crazy, it just occurred to me.

2. homeshow

homeshow Monkey++

are those the kind of people you want hanging around looking to trade or "just a hit man, please?"

guess i'm a stick in the mud conservative.[rnt]

john316 likes this.
  3. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I could see it becomeing a very diffinate cash crop again and not just for smokeing. The fibers are very useful for rope and spinning for hemp cloth, it can be pressed for oil that as I understand will work as lamp oil among other things as well as being crushed to pulp for paper that along with its rope and fabric was used for hundreds of years or more medicinal and even recreational use of the leaves/buds. It is a VERY useful plant for FAR more than 'tokeing up'.

BTW, if you ever happen to need to start a friction fire (two sticks) and can find any growing in the area, the stalk is one of the best materials around for a fire drill.

4. Ready

Ready or getting there...

No indoor expert, but we have grown the little cherry tomatoes inside the kitchen window. They did real good. my wife would open the window for fresh air every so often. Also had 2 potted little pineapple plants that grew 2 pinnaples each, that was interesting to watch, took a long time but was a purdy plants.

Aeason and Motomom34 like this.
  5. WestPointMAG

WestPointMAG Monkey++

I think this needs moved to the Green patch.

6. ikean

ikean Monkey++

hoas suck,we go guerrila and do everything in our back yard outta sight[peep]

Homer Simpson likes this.
  7. jreb357

jreb357 Monkey+

This information is solid gold. People are not going to consider the details of how to harvest and store seeds until it is far too late to learn how to do it. The learning curve will be steep at that point. Good stuff.

jreb357
    SurvivalDisasterPlan.com

Aeason likes this.
  8. qasimo

qasimo Monkey

thanks to fritz & right hand for the seed saving website/info! will definitely put this info to good use.

Aeason likes this.
  9. Evil

Evil A rock n roll girl loving life!

Marijuana has so many more health benefits that ANY of the pills you are stockpiling. If the damn government would allow clinical trials people would see (and believe because god forbid you can't believe it till the government says so) that THC and CBD can CURE more serious health issues than the poisons that the Pharm-a-poison companies are putting out. Then let's talk the added benefit of HEMP, for clothes, paper, rope, and the hundreds of other things you can make with it. The US Government made Hemp/Marijuana illegal because they do not want people to be able to fend for themselves so easily with just ONE crop.

Homeshow, I'd take a hundred "stoners" over one drunk any day!!

Homer Simpson, Aeason and Motomom34 like this.
  10. vanez

vanez Monkey

one thing you all should keep in mind too is that it is also important to save male pollen, if the plant in question has both male and female sides that is. It's very easy to do. All you have to do is get the male plant, place a glass mirror or slick surface underneath it, shake and scrape the pollen off with a blade. once it's collected place in a dry airtight container and put it in the fridge, works like a charm! cheers!

Aeason, chelloveck and BTPost like this.
  11. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey+++

at the end of planting season I go to a local hardware store and buy loads of seed packs for 10 cents each then I vacuum them in quart jars . at the present I have in excess of 8 cases of seeds so far stored .

12. jimLE

jimLE Monkey+++

i started buying heirloom seeds last year..in which i planted corn,tomato and okra last year...(beginner on gardens)..so i started small..lost the corn to wildlife.but save seeds from okra and tomato thoe.okra.i simply laid it out until dry.then i saved the seeds.then baged them in the packaging the original seeds came in.washed and let dry the tomato seeds.then baged them in the packaging the original seeds came in...

Aeason and Motomom34 like this.
  13. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

HI
    HI Ozarkgoatman,

Last year we just let the tomatoes get ripe and smashed them onto paper towels. We laid them out to dry and then this year we laid them in a black seed started container and watered them and them dropped them in dirt. We covered them up and watered them and it took a while ( I cannot remember how long) and they all came up. We only had two kinds last year. Heirloom Mortgage Lifter and ROMA. It is really remarkable how it works.

Cathy

Aeason likes this.
  14. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

Hi,

We use Niteguard for our garden. www.niteguard.com
    It really works. Everyone around here has there gardens surrounded by electric fence. We just use the little blinking lights. We have a lot of deer right behind us in the woods.

Aeason likes this.
  15. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@pearlselby would this work on elk also? It is a niteguard but does this also act as a deterrent during the day?

16. jimLE

jimLE Monkey+++

that night guard looks like a good idea.and for 19.95..it's not to bad of a loss,if it dont work for me..this deer i been seeing in my yard and immediate area last few days..

001.JPG

Aeason and Ganado like this.
  17. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

you
    Hi, that is a good question. I am assuming it would, but, I would call the number at niteguard.
    1-800-328-6647. Good luck!

We use it in our Oklahoma property too. Seems if we followed the instructions and moved the lights every 2 weeks, it works great.

18. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey+++

about the end of planting i go to the hardware stores and buy lots of seeds of plants i like and take them home and vacuum them in 1/2 pint and pint jars for the next year --works for me i even have opened jars 5-6 years old and grew plants with them

19. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

natshare, Aeason and chelloveck like this.
  20. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Different seeds have different viability lifespans...as stored seed varieties trundle on towards the end of a seed's viability....fewer and fewer seeds will germinate....the % of seeds germinating progressively lowering and lowering....Even at low germination rates, the few survivors will usually produce enough seed for replanting...just don't expect as large a crop as might be expected of 95%-100% germinating seed stock.

The Lifespan and Viability of Seeds
    Seed Viability Chart
    Life Expectancy of Vegetable Seeds | Horticulture and Home Pest News
    http://naldc.nal.usda.gov/download/CAT87208646/PDF

1. HK_User
  2. greathomesteader
  3. marlas1too
  4. Oltymer
  5. TXKajun
  6. TheJackBull
  7. Motomom34