Thermos Cooking

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by MountainMariner, Jul 4, 2016.

1. MountainMariner

MountainMariner Clearly Ambiguous

I saw some YouTube videos today where meals are cooked in thermos (what is the plural of "thermos" Is it thermoses, thermi...lol)

So it would save much propane fuel for me. Just boil the water or quickly boil the entire stew, turn off my stove and dump everything into the thermos. Could make my evening meal when I drink my coffee in the morning then come back at dinner time and eat. Anybody try this method on various ingredients/recipes?

2. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Had read about cooking rice in a thermos.. Never had the need to try it, however, now may be the time..

3. MountainMariner

Since I don't even own a thermos the first thing I need to find a large wide lid quality thermos. It will need to hold at least one large bowl worth of food/stew. About 4-6 cups worth.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  4. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

i make yogurt in a nissan thermos
    this lady cooks on her family boat so trys to conserve fuel, she has lots of free info
    Make Your Own Yogurt

this is her thermos bottle review
    Best Thermos Bottles

the wonder bag is the same concept only you use your current pans
    https://www.amazon.com/Wonderbag-Non-Electric-Portable-Cooker-Cookbook/dp/B00ESI97YU?ie=UTF8&redirect=true

or you can use an ice chest stuffed with material, cardboard or sand to keep the pot hot.

its like cooking in a crock pot, 1st you brown the meat then you just put it in the wonderbag or insulated chest and let it cook for several hours

crock pot recipes work great for this

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    chelloveck and Sgt Nambu like this.
  5. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

I've made ramen noodles in a thermos with hot tap water. Hot as I could get it. Break the noodles small enough to get in the thermos, add tap water and seasoning packet, in the AM and by noon the noodles should be soft, if not exactly warm. I like to add dried shallots and cooked meat.

One caution, it's usually a semi solid ball in the bottom of the thermos, so if you're using a coffee type thermos bring a long spoon. I have used an iced tea spoon, but it's a PITA! Best to just use a soup thermos!;)

Dont and Ganado like this.
  6. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

I suggest that you go Aladdin stainless, wide mouth. Pay once, cry once! My Aladdins are 30yrs old and still perfect!

7. MountainMariner

That Best Thernos Bottles link is exactly what I was looking for. Very informative.

Best Thermos Bottles

That Wonderbag is a great idea too. Going to give both a try.

Ganado likes this.
  8. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

image.
    I have three of these thermal cookers. I have cooked everything from red beans and rice to roast in them. Basically anything you can make in a crockpot you can make in them. 5 minutes of boiling then in it goes for 6-8 hours. One is large enough to cook a meal for 10 and there is a 5L version. Great if you are taking something to the beach or deer camp. Start it at home and let it cook while you drive and hunt.

Amazon.com: Saratoga Jacks 7L Thermal Cooker: Slow Cookers: Kitchen & Dining

chelloveck, Idahoser, Dont and 2 others like this.
  9. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

A Kelly Kettle and a Thermos or two are standard kit for me. It saves time and energy, and after a bit of practice, you can come up with some really great ideas for meals. There's an amazing little food Thermos with a metal folding spoon in the lid that I like to use because it's perfect for those single serving outings.

chelloveck and Ganado like this.
  10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I think the wonder oven is also called a wonder box or hay box

You can make your own or go with @T.Riley 's thermal cooker.

I personally like Stanley thermos's we have one my Dad ran over with a 380 michican loader and it dented it but it still holds hot coffee very well. it looks like this one
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VRSJVSG/?tag=survivalmonke-20
    [​IMG]

but its not great for cooking. Stanley has these wide mouth thermos's as well
    Amazon.com : Stanley Adventure Food Jar, Stainless Steel, 10 oz : Sports & Outdoors
    [​IMG]

for me personally, the hay box or wonder box or the thermal cookers @T. Riley posted are better for full meals

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
    T. Riley and chelloveck like this.
  11. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

If using the thermos for cooking, preheat the thermos interior with boiling water, and empty the water before filling with the food to be cooked....the food to be cooked should be at as near to boiling point as possible...some recipes with dairy ingredients may need to be pre heated to near boiling point to prevent curdling.

Preheating the container, and having the food piping hot before sealing the lid will keep food cooking longer, and reduce the risk of bacterial spoilage.

There are a number of thermos cooking video clips on YouTube.......

Idahoser likes this.
  12. MountainMariner

This will save lots of precious fuel/energy. Especially if you fly your propane out or have to ride a snowmachine on a 6 hour round trip through mountains like someone I know....

SB21, chelloveck, Dont and 1 other person like this.
  13. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Idahoser and chelloveck like this.
  14. svjoe

svjoe Angry Monkey

This is an option as well. I don't have one, but have several "thermos" brand thermos' issued to me while I was in the Army. Keeps my coffee hot for 12hrs........carry one everyday to work. Fill it at 0430, get home and empty ~1700; still steaming!

Vacuum Insulated Sleeve with Microwavable Food Jar | Thermos®

chelloveck likes this.
  15. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

any crock pot or slow cooker recipe can be adapted to use in a thermal cooker or wonderbag

This site has some great slow cooker recipes
    Barefeet In The Kitchen: CROCK-POT

The key to adapting is to brown the meat before putting it in the pot

Some links for thermal cooking jsut scroll to the bottom. One of these has instructions for making a thermal cooker at home... a more permanent kind of thermal cooker.
    Fireless Cookers | The Thermal Cooker Thermal Cooking Weblog

I think someone else posted this on the wonder bag post

Edited:
    The Thermal Cooker Thermal Cooking Weblog

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    chelloveck likes this.
  16. DanielWinn

DanielWinn Neophyte Monkey

I use thermos pretty often as I'm a pretty busy worker and I don't have that much time to go for a lunch and I usually get my thermos with me when I have business trip. I have such a huge experience of using it, but zero experience in cooking in it . I'm not sure if you can use it as a real pot and cook every single plate, but I do believe that you can create a king food jar by thermos. As somebody said, that's good for "fast food", when you just have to add some hot water to food. But you can to try and then tell us a story. Hope, it'll successful one

T. Riley likes this.
  17. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Brokor likes this.
  1. JC Refuge
  2. OlDiceGames
  3. Andy the Aussie
  4. JC Refuge
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. Motomom34
  7. Andy the Aussie
  8. TinyDreams