Two off-grid communities seeking participation

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Dust of the Sun, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Tammy Grenon

Tammy Grenon Monkey

Dust, I am looking into finding a community where I can live off the grid in a very rural area. Can you please connect me with your friend in VA. I'm currently in central N.C. I have several things I can bring to the table, and open to discuss any possibilities.
    Thanks,
    Tammy

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2013
  2. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep

My wife , my 12 year old daughter and I want to get out of this rat race. I have been gaining experience over the last year at gardening with bunker crops of some of the stuff I have grown.
    I raise meat rabbits and we actually eat them, lol I currently have over 80 of them. We also have sheep, 17 chickens and goats.
    We have some money and once we liquidate our assets we'll have more.
    I have done a lot of research on off grid living and have come to the conclusion that an underground home is by far the smartest way to go.
    I have even designed a floor plan, water treatment, sewage(septic system), water heating -cooking- and air heating system based on wood gasification and Rocket stove techniques from Youtube. I have extensive building and construction experience and my wife halped me remodel 2 of our homes, as well.
    We were looking to buy land and do this on our own but that is not as smart as I once thought, its always better to have others to help out as well as for company.
    In the spirit of full disclosure We have a Original Christian Music Ministry that we fully intend to continue no matter where we end up.
    If Being Spiritual is a problem just let us know and we will seek other opportunities.
    It's not to say we expect others to follow our belief system, but we expect to be tolerated for ours. This is our main reason for wanting to join an intentional community, we believe that something very big is about to start happening!!
    We have over a years worth of supplies for ourselves, we are hard working and intelligent, and we believe in shared cooperation and responsibility in a community.
    If you wish to see who we are we have a site at reverbnation.com enter covenant 1 into the searchbar and you'll see my wife and I
    We are very interested in the Virginia property but will look at others as well.
    We are excited to hear back from you soon.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2013
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

@Gopherman, you should hook up with @Seacowboys.... another Music Man of your Ilk, it would seem.... and semi-local to you as well.....

4. lightfoot

lightfoot Monkey

I would like to be contacted by by the couple in western nc and the lady in va. prefer to talk by phone . any help would be greatly appreciated.been trying to find the right people to stand with (shtf)

5. Update:
    Things are deteriorated all across the board...in both friends situations as well as the country at large. Yes, both places are still in need of "joiners"....conditions are rough at both spots. But....BUT, the biggest obstacle for most people is LAND...or rather the MONEY to buy the land. Here at least, these folks are on the land. Of course, you need to explore, investigate, vett, check out etc....that goes without saying. From the other side tho, sandra has had problems of people coming who paint a false picture of themselves....not being honest about alcoholism, abusive personalities, drug addictions, thievery etc. It's definitely a two way street. She's had a full community up and running on her 84 acres with up to a dozen people there at one time...some stayed a year or more...but all slowly drifted away. Many just can't handle a hidden farm 18 miles to town...they want beer and cigarette money they don't have, movies and Playstation and...and...and. Not just the 20 year olds either. Yes community has gotten much tougher as our society degenerates into food stamp nation. So no picture here painted of butterflies and rainbows...it's rough. But for the right people, it could be heaven. The only way to approach this is to converse with sandra and then VISIT and see for yourself and decide after investigating. She needs help and is open to a mutually beneficial arrangement on her land. No it's not the PONDEROSA but could be an improved GREEN ACRES. The Piedmont of Virginia is a decent climate with four seasons...not too extreme but some of all types of weather.

03k12gt and Gopherman like this.
  6. Gopherman

she dropped me an email yesterday, gonna try and get hold of her today. We are looking for an honest situation as well, our family is ready to do this and prepared, once we pull the trigger on this thing, we won't turn back. Good thing is we've been getting ready for a year now to make this move so the hardships shouldn't be too bad, unlike the pilgrims we wont have to starve out for a year.
    Thanks for the forward on this!!![bow]

7. Larrythebard

Larrythebard Wandering Bard

I want in. I am 30 yrs old and I currently live in PA. I have been looking for something like this for the last year and I have some skills to bring to the table. I would like to join for at least 1 year maybe longer if it goes well. If this is still active I could begin early as Jan 10th, 2014.

8. larry
    sent u a message
    the time to find a place to land and dig in....is NOW
    send an intro email to sandra and maybe ur fone number for her to call u

i think the people on this forum fully realize that things are about to turn for the worse...we may still have a few months hopefully

this will be no picnic...it's rough at many of these farms, sandra's included...real rough
    many, many farms falling into bankruptcy even commercial farms with acres and acres of crops which sandra doesn't have...she's more a subsistence farmer but with asian pears, past moneymaker crop of jeruselum artichokes, poultry and donkeys

conditions here are not for the soft and weak....so be aware

all the really nice communes with everything in place carry a heavy admission cost...seems nobody wants in on ground level startups tho...they require too much work and commitment...I'd love to live at Earthaven for example...but you'd need several thousand dollars in entrance and ongoing fees

still have some hope to get this place going

9. Larrythebard

Larrythebard Wandering Bard

Don't worry I understand what I'm getting into. Sounds like where I grew up. chickens and subsistence farming. Yea that's home.

10. jelliott7384

jelliott7384 Monkey

Id like contact info for sandra. Is she on Facebook?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  11. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Private info would be better in a private message. @mods? Perhaps a bit of assistance?

12. jelliott7384

jelliott7384 Monkey

New just curious about the lifestyle

13. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Click on her avatar and 'start a conversation' with her.

14. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Understood, but private info can be used badly, in the wrong hands, and everything posted openly can be googled as well. I would suggest you remove it.;)

Thank you, Melbo.;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2014
  15. jelliott7384

jelliott7384 Monkey

Is this better? It let me log in with Facebook. Lol

16. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Just take all personal stuff to a Private Conversation... Protect yourself from Bad Guys and Scammers, who frequent Google, and other Search Engines.. OPSEC is the Watchword around here.... .....

17. TommyT

TommyT Monkey

I would be interested in talking to Sandra from VA. I grew up in VA and would love to return. If you could send me her contact info that would be great.

18. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Agreed, I am curious what some of the posters asking about this venture almost a year and a half ago found out. Especially seeing the original poster's only participation on this forum has been related to this thread.

ghrit, kellory and RightHand like this.
  19. jelliott7384

jelliott7384 Monkey

I dont think its legit. I emailed and never got a response. I also found this ad on another website using different names. Sam was the farm owner instead of sandra

20. Gopherman

I have spoken in depth with Sandra. She has had a lot of trouble finding the right people to do a
    co-habitation situation. She is very legitimate. She has 87 acres of land, she does need the right people to help her. So far she'd seems to have been getting a lot of Head cases that think there going to just show, smoke dope or drink their time away and not have to do anything. That's what I got from the couple hours of conversations I have had with her. We were considering going out there and joining up, but the building codes were more than we wanted to deal with. We have chosen Arkansas instead, for the more liberal code structure towards Cabins and off grid situations.
    She is a very nice lady, just wanted to share a little info.

03k12gt likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7