Two off-grid communities seeking participation

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Dust of the Sun, Jun 9, 2012.

1. jelliott7384

jelliott7384 Monkey

Well that explains it. Im a little bit of a head case. Lmao

Gopherman likes this.
  2. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep

Aren't we all to some extent?:D

03k12gt and jelliott7384 like this.
  3. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Some just worry over the oddities more than others do..

03k12gt likes this.
  4. jelliott7384

jelliott7384 Monkey

I did get an email. But I must admit it scares me more to Contact people from the internet then living off grid does. Lol

5. Dont

Caution is prudent.. Several good meet and greets at neutral locations spread out over a few months and remain ever thoughtful of OpSec..

Yard Dart likes this.
  6. Tjamel Hamlin

Tjamel Hamlin Monkey

I am looking for an off grid community and live in north carolina already so the married couple sounds intriguing. Are they still looking? I'm ready to make a move. Thanks

7. Dont

Have been told by a couple people of a "prepper community" in my area that have proven themselves to be less than a good situation..

8. Incredibly, a friend is right now out in western north carolina helping a retired nurse develop a homestead on 5 mountain acres...she too wants to establish a small community of maybe a half dozen people weathering out the coming storm...priority on growing food....she also has horses...don't know why but I am somehow becoming a clearinghouse of contacts or outposts across virginia and north carolina...for a new start...semi-off-grid...out of the rat race...disconnecting from the system...or at least as much as possible.

I have so far stayed in my small rural town of 1,100...over an hour out from the city, surrounded by farmland, no strategic value that I can see....in other words, the scenario of James Howard Kunstler's WORLD MADE BY HAND. We shall see if when the collapse hits us full brunt, whether the small rural town away from the city...... versus...... the extreme country boondocks bug out retreat is the best choice. Only time will tell.

So I have these friend's Outposts in from southcentral virginia to far western north carolina which I may....MAY...be able to retreat to....if we have earth change catastrophe or violent civil disorder or ???? The question will then be...if I've miscalculated my present locale, will I be able to get to one of these possible safe havens????

But for anyone reading these postings, I would suggest the smart thing to do is to relocate away from the city...somewhere....and now!

And to DONT and MYSTERYMET:

It goes without saying, proceed with caution, check people out, visit first etc. In our various attempts at community, an unfortunate percentage of people are drug addicts, mentally ill, thieves, liars, abusive, you name it...depressing actually just how many defective people there are out there....YES, BE CAREFUL!!!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
    03k12gt and Yard Dart like this.
  9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

There is a very understandable reason, for the above conclusion. it is very simple. It is because these are the type of Folks that have the TIME, to go about looking, for such Places. Most of the Productive Folks, ARE WORKING, and only have time, on a very few Weekends, to scout about for a better situation. Even back in "My Hippy Phase" (Late 60s, early 70s) when I lived in a Commune, we were very VERY Careful, who we invited into our Family, as 90% of the Folks out there, were just looking for a Crash Pad, that required NO Work, from them, to stay. These folks were REJECTED, after an just a visit, for a few hours. Much easier to weed them out, at the GetGo, then after a few weeks or months, of lazy Living. .... YMMV.....

BlueDuck, Yard Dart and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  10. Dont

I am a cautious one!! Also have an abrasive personality that can put some folks off if I take a distrust of them..

BlueDuck, ditch witch and Gopherman like this.
  11. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Dont...you? Nahhh!

12. Dont

Have made teen agers run away in fear and grown men to cry with only a glance and a harsh word.... Urrrrhhhh...:p

vonslob likes this.
  13. Gopherman

The biggest thing I've run into is people getting a chance to actually think about it for a while!When you figure out that your using 77,000 watts of power a day now, and would never be able to do that off grid, cold feet meets cold water!![OO]

03k12gt likes this.
  14. Dont

Living it will bring it all home quickly... You learn and adapt or you walk back out to the supposed comforts of the city..

Sapper John, kellory and Gopherman like this.
  15. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Good "thunkin" BT. Weekends are a good START and will give one some basics. That is what we try to do on our gatherings. Things such as expedient shelter, first aid, fire building, com, camp cooking, smoke management, wild food procurement/processing, etc.

16. Gopherman

Got the cash for the solar setup need complete detailed list for 3kw system 24v charging to include what kind of junction box and battery tender setup. Anyone got this info?

17. rleefireman

rleefireman Monkey

My wife and I are looking for a small community. We are hard workers. This will be new to us but we hope to make new friends

18. rleefireman

rleefireman Monkey

MomMomKimmi likes this.
  19. rleefireman

rleefireman Monkey

My wife and I are looking for a small community. We are hard workers. This will be new to us but we hope to make new friends

20. kandice

kandice Monkey++

Thank you for the post, would like to have Sandra reply in regards to chating further. Have been preparing to move to a community type setting for some time. Currently in NC. My profession has been teaching horsebackriding and training of horses to the top levels in industry. Now would like to bring these skills, horses, gardening plus more to a team environment. Not afraid of work, practice spiritual growth, eco minded. Much more to chat about, please contact ----------------------- Thank you for your time

Kandice, I've taken the liberty of removing your email address for your security. Anyone that wants to contact you can use the private message "conversations" (click on your avatar.) Regards, and welcome aboard - ghrit

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2014
    BTPost and kellory like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7