Uncertain Emotions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jaybird, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Jaybird

Jaybird Monkey+++

Not sure how I should feel right now.
    We have just been told that we will become grandparents in April. Normally that should make me very happy. With the way things are shaping up in the world now, I am not sure this will be good news for my son, daughter-in-law or unborn grandchild. I am still trying to sort all of this out.

2. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Count it as one of your many blessings. Life has to go on, or why bother prepping, resisting, or anything else. All life is a struggle, and you make the best of what you have. Let's hope for the best and continue to be prepared for the worst. Then just take it one day at a time and try to enjoy life.

TheEconomist likes this.
  3. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

Rarely are young people actually ready for a baby, even if they think they are; but a new little one generally causes people to rise to the challenge. They help make all of us better than we otherwise might be, whether we're parents or grandparents. Once you realize that you're someone's hero, it becomes hard to let them down. So, it's a good thing.

And this uncertain world of ours will still be around a generation from now, and will need smart young people to help run it. You have the chance to influence one of those smart young people.

Congratulations!

TheEconomist likes this.
  4. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I know what you mean but you need to swallow that thought and bury it or you run the risk of causing family harm and divisions.

April will come no matter how you feel - you can't change it so you don't want to appear like you disapprove or that you don't like the situation. Even in the worst times in history, babies were still born and they thrived. Find the positives and highlight them.

Sapper John, Guit_fishN and tulianr like this.
  5. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

When has life every been easy, secure, absolute, for any child born since the beginning of time. They peck their way out of their shells and make their way in the world. Congratulations

tulianr likes this.
  6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Congrats are surely in order. At the very minimum, it should give you more incentive to ensure you are in position to get thru all troubles, and enjoy the good times. There will be both. (Grandkids are special. Kick back and watch the fun.)

tulianr likes this.
  7. Jaybird

Jaybird Monkey+++

Thanks guys. I know all of that when I am talking to someone else. I guess I needed the reminder that it applies to me as well. Thanks for keeping me grounded.

tacmotusn and RightHand like this.
  8. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Congratulations is deffinately in order!! I have three grandkids and daily think about how we can guide them to be better people and make a difference in this crazy world we live in. They are in Sunday school at church, have to do their part in taking care of things around here and contribute to whatever we are doing. The two boys love to shoot whenever they can and I think one of them is going to be great, at the rate he is going. The other is going to be the hacker.... PC and Xbox is his gig but he likes guns- good in my book. Our youngest is the 2 year old granddaughter and she is giving the boys hell, my kind of girl.

I think of it as my chance to groom the next gen of American's in my sphere of influence, and that is a hell of a good roll. Smile at the opportunity to make a difference in that little life everyday!!!

9. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Two things you need to do... Love the child for who it is... and add some infant /child supplies to your preps....

Guit_fishN, TheEconomist and tulianr like this.
  10. cdnboy66

cdnboy66 Monkey++

Congratulations!!!
    This is a time for hope, what a great blessing you have been given. There is life and hope and love to be had. Think of all the things you need to get ready to teach this little one and hone those skills.
    Be an absolute blessing to your kids and their kids, be one of those guys that they talk about and laugh about long after you are gone.

TheEconomist and peanut like this.
  11. wrc223

wrc223 Monkey+

I dont know what the rest of these crazies are talking about!!

RUN!

Run as fast as you can!!

You know what this means? If you are a new grandparent then that means there will be a little terrorist running around. Pidder padder of little feet my a$$. It's more like crash, bang, and boom. I know first hand, my kids are 18mos., 5 yrs, and 7 yrs.

Case in point: 2 hours ago I rescued the cat from a bed. The cat was wrapped in a swaddle blanket and placed in a dolly bassinette. The wife and I could not figure out what that crazy sound was. We looked all over trying to find out what it was and where it was coming from. Finally I noticed some movement in the bassinette and found a kitty trying to free itself. A complete look of terror on it's poor kitty face told the story of being snatched up and confined within a tightly wrapped blanket.

Blessing........yeah, if you manage to get 4 hours of actual sleep, it would be a blessing!!

Okay......I love it.:D

peanut likes this.
  12. cdnboy66

cdnboy66 Monkey++

^^^^^^^^^^^bwwwaaaahhaaaahaaaaa
    that's just so true, and it doesn't get easier as they get older, but as a Grandparent, you can load em up with sugar and hand em back

and wrc223 is right....you'll love it

oldawg, tulianr, peanut and 1 other person like this.
  13. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Being a Gramps I can,from experience,tell you that you are about to embark on a fantastic journey. Go back over your preps with this great news in mind. AND YEAH MORE PROCESSED SUGAR! a little pay back is in order. Congrats!

Jaybird likes this.
  14. TheEconomist

TheEconomist Creighton Bluejay

Women with college degrees can be expected to complete their childbearing with 1.6-2.0 children each; 1.7 for non-Hispanic white, 1.6 for non-Hispanic black, and 2.0 for Hispanic women. For women with less education the total expected number of children are: 3.2 children for those with 0-8 years of education; 2.3 children for those with 9-11 years of education and 2.7 for high school graduates.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/97facts/edu2birt.htm

I am not saying that a college education makes one individual better than another, but these statistics are telling. The pure fact that you are worried and CARE about what is going on tells me that your grandchild has every chance to be in the upper echelon of citizenry. THIS COUNTRY NEEDS MORE MONKEYS! So I think YOU and YOURS for the contributions!

15. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Congrats, to the prospective GrandParents.... Now is the time to work on Wisdom.... Not as a Parent, but as advisors to the New Prospective Parents.... This doesn't mean that you tell them how to "Run their Lives".. Hopefully, You raised your Son to be a Sentient Being and think for Himself, AND his Family. It means that you are THERE, for them, when they ASK, for some of that Wisdom and Guidance, as they realize this is all NEW Territory, for them, in their Family Relationship. Better for you to impart such Wisdom & Advice, than some Idiot who "Wrote a Book" but has no knowledge of the couple, involved..... ...... YMMV.....

16. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

OO! A baby's comin'!! Keep us posted! :)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7