Water filters/purifiers

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Detentus, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Detentus

Detentus Monkey+

Has anyone invested in a water purifier/filter system? If so, what kind?

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Are you asking about a whole house system that's hooked to your plumbing, a countertop model or portable?

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

3. Detentus

Detentus Monkey+

Melbo, sorry, I should have specified. I meant a portable, like a Katadyne. We already have a sytem hooked in for our well water(filters out Fe), as our water was rusty.

I'm looking at a Katadyne for around $66.00, with ceramic disc and replaceable cartridge that filters out bacteria, viruses, and general scum.

4. melbo

I have a few portable units.

Katadyn Pocket: This thing is heavy but solid, full ceramic. I've pulled water out of some pretty stagnant puddles without any further treatment. $219ish

I also have a PUR Scout although I don't think they make it anymore (Possibly made by Katadyn under a different name?). This guy is at least 15 yrs old and I'm only on the 3rd filter for it. Still tastes like Iodine with every sip too. $???

Check out the MSR Miniworks. I've heard great things and know that it has been carried my various militaries as well. $89ish

I'd also price in a complete set of replacement parts as well. Extra filters and a gasket/o ring kit. If it breaks and you don't have the parts, you might as well not have it.

Here's the Pocket and the Miniwiorks
    pocket. miniworks_ex2.

5. Detentus

Detentus Monkey+

Thank you, Melbo. I jumped the gun and ordered the one on the left(Katadyne) for $66.00 that usually retails for $89.00 with additional cartridges and ceramic disks.

I was just wondering if anyone else had done so.

6. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

This has come up recently.

I use PUR Hiker with great results (as in.... I've never been sick or had problems with it). Look at weight if you want to pack it. I was looking at a Katadyn steel model until I realized the weight.

The last thing you want in the woods is.......[flush]

7. fortunateson

fortunateson I hate Illinois Nazis!

8. Detentus

Detentus Monkey+

Thanks, everyone.

9. melbo

10. Detentus

Detentus Monkey+

Melbo, thanks again. I think I made the right choice. I may pick up a pocket one soon, too.

11. foust1012

foust1012 Monkey+

Emergency and Everyday Water Purification

The best portable water purifier out there in my opinion are the Berkey Systems. They are more powereful than anything I have found, and you can make any freshwater water source into pure drinking water very quickly. Also, the filtration elements are re-cleanable and last for up to 3,000 gallons each and most of the systems come with at least 2 elements which means that they would last for 6,000 gallons. They have models for individuals all the way to large groups. they even have a model that is a 22 oz. sports water bottle that is perfect for 72-hour kits. The best website I have seen out there is Home. They have competitive prices and a very informative site. Check them out. I bought mine there and I love it so much, I use it for everyday drinking water.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7