whats your storage options-shelving-BO bags....

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by TheJackBull, Mar 16, 2014.

1. TheJackBull

TheJackBull Monkey+++

Looking for ideas on how to set up my stuff. Ive got some different packs due to an unhealthy need to have a pack for every hike from 2hr to two weeks long. but they sit or hang empty most of the year
    ( I can only use one at a time anyway). whats in your bug out bags? how big/ heavy are they? is it better to have specific bags or a little of everything in each.
    Do you store your supplies on wire racks, in crates, totes under the bed, in the car?
    how accessible does it need to be? I have an apartment so is it unreal to have some stuff in the storage unit?
    best way to rotate stock if needed?

thats a lot to type. maybe post some links to pages or pics of your set ups(if thats not too intrusive)
    visual learner here!

just looking for fresh prospective and need a good teacher....
    thanks ya'all

2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

My car has it's own supplies. In my trunk I have a bin that has a bag with med stuff and another bag with in case I have to walk supplies. Also in the tub is a larger backpack that will hold all the supplies if I need to carry it all. I broke things down so I can grab what bag I need quickly but can also pack them all together. Does that make sense?

tulianr, stg58, Yard Dart and 3 others like this.
  3. Jeff Brackett

Jeff Brackett Monkey+++

I use a variety of storage tubs and BOBs. For instance, here is the gear in my office at home... (sorry, I tried to upload here but I just get a broken image icon). In the lower left, you will see my BOB prepacked & ready to grab. In the bottom storage container, there is a variety of canned & freeze dried food (enough for my wife & I for about 45 days, if we're careful). In the middle tub, there are three more BOBs, one completely prepacked for my wife & two more that are partially loaded, with room left for adding or adjusting whatever needs to be done in case friends or family are with us in SHTF scenario. The top tub has stuff I want to keep if possible, and may strap on if time and conditions permit (extra tarps, binoculars, mini 9mm reloader, etc).

In other closets, I have smaller caches of food, a med kit, an electronics kit (I work in IT and have collected a lot of computer parts and tools that may or may not come in handy), and a "blackout kit" (a tub with an 800 watt inverter, extension cords, a variety of rechargeable batteries and charger, flashlights, radios, a portable battery powered television). I also have 20 gallons of stabilized gasoline in the garage (not a lot, but we have to start somewhere, right?). In both cars, I have extra shoes, a change of clothes, and emergency GHBs in both vehicles (UTG Tactical Messenger bags with snacks, multi tools, & mini FAKs).

It was a bit over two years ago that I made the change in lifestyle and started prepping. I have found that what seemed to be an overwhelming task isn't all that insurmountable. You just have to do a little at a time and before you know it you will find that you're relatively well set with minimal expense. You make the commitment and take your time to research, learn, and chip away at your "to-do" list a little at a time.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
    Yard Dart and kellory like this.
  4. TheJackBull

TheJackBull Monkey+++

Thanks that helps. Does anyone store anything "off site"?

5. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Being a hunter, I have hunting, fishing, land clearing tools, and materials on my hunting property. It would sleep 4-6, and has a kitchen space. There is a small stash of can goods and dry goods there, in case of need.

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Not trying to be a wise guy, but of course. All eggs in one basket is a mistake.

Brokor and tulianr like this.
  7. TheJackBull

TheJackBull Monkey+++

makes sense ghrit, but i dont have cabin or anything it would just be a storage unit... ive been searching the forums and cant seem to find any photos of good set ups... could really use the inspiration if anyone has some photos

thanks agian

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I would use regular Storage Shelves, and have a very BIG Safe, for the expensive Stuff, like Weapons, Ammunition, Comm Gear, and Money. If they want the food and water, they can have those, if they break in, but the rest, they need to work very hard for, whom ever THEY are....

Yard Dart, Jeff Brackett and stg58 like this.
  9. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

And no matter WHAT size safe it is, no matter how secure it is, BOLT IT DOWN! or they will just carry it off and open it later.

Yard Dart, Jeff Brackett and stg58 like this.
  10. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

i have "kits" i leave in different places ....

11. ghrit

You don't have a friend with a shelf in his garage? (For a backup stash, not the main one.)

KAS likes this.
  12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

IKEA is your friend....

Motomom34 likes this.
  13. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@TheJackBull we have all read what you have been posting but rule #1 for prepping etc... never show your cards. Maybe one or two would show pictures but 99% on this site will never show what they have. I know it would be real helpful but it is just one of those things.

Yard Dart and Tevin like this.
  14. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

I agree, pictures are a no-no. Any pics I post on line are taken with an older camera that does not have GPS or the ability to embed location data. I never post photos taken with my iPhone or anything that could give away personal information.

Anyway, your question is too personal and individual to answer. Everyone has a plan that works great for them and probably sucks for everyone else.

The only advice I can give that would be actually useful would be not to overthink this. Find a bag that is comfortable to carry and fill it with a few days' worth of stuff. The end.

A bug out bag is not supposed to be complicated. There is no utility in spending endless hours agonizing over this decision or parsing all possible tin foil hat scenarios. Pretty much every preparedness forum on the internet is choking with discussions about bug out bags, and honestly, I don't understand the weird obsession with this topic.

Don't let yourself get sucked into the vortex. I've even seen lengthly, heated arguments over whether a BOB should be green or black, or whether certain name brands attract more attention by airport security than others.

My bag took me about ten minutes to put together: Some water, food, first aid, hand tools/knife, radio. A change of seasonally-appropriate clothes. A little cash, and a gun. That's it. I'm not looking to go on a mission to Mars. I just want to be able to scram quickly and get by for a few days. Any more than that and you have gone past the purpose of a bug out bag.

Good luck with your project.

15. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

well put tevin

Tevin likes this.
  16. TheJackBull

TheJackBull Monkey+++

I do tend to over think! Thanks... Ill try and just start and see how it grows.

Tevin and Motomom34 like this.
  17. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

That is exactly it @TheJackBull, see how it grows. I can honestly say things have changed so much from when I started storing and having a bag in my car. I had all the lists from other sites but over time somethings were repetitive and others I needed to add for my personal tastes. I spent months going over storage and rearranging. Organization is key. I live where evacuation is a possibility so I have an "in case we have to leave check list" on the fridge. We actually got a pre-evac notice last summer and we had everything we needed and from the list at the door in less then 5 minutes.

Yard Dart likes this.
  18. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

start with things you already have and are simple...
    dont worry about going out and buying a bunch of stuff ...
    Keep it simple ...
    One thing i have noticed is people love gizmoes and gadgets most of it is not really necessary but thats just my opinion...
    ie. some matches and a lighter some dryer lint and cotton balls in an old pill pottle and all in a zip lock bag .{now fire is done }sorry it aint an ak76 heat seaking hair chested nuckle dragging butane fire spitter but it work ...

chelloveck and kellory like this.
  19. ghrit

Yep. This site has lots of ways to do things. Pick your fave, give yourself a backup, and just do it your way.

chelloveck likes this.
  20. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I compartmentalize my bags in traditional military makeup. Having all of your "like" gear in separate bags is a wise decision, as it makes finding items easier and allows you to manage which items to keep or dump on the move if necessary. Depending on your environment, your "bug out bag" may be customized according to your own needs.

My E-books to help understand:
    General Survival - Bug Out Remedies: Volumes 1-2- 3

And a video series, just in case:
    BUG OUT SERIES - YouTube

chelloveck and Sapper John like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7