Why Are You Prepping?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by TXKajun, Feb 26, 2012.

1. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

I'm curious about why folks are prepping. Just watched one of those "Doom and Gloom" let's find the most outrageous folks we can shows. Also, Sweetie, Bunny and I all had a nice sit-down discussion in the last few days and all opened up about what we were afraid may happen, what realistically may happen and what the "woo-woo" event would be.

For us, the main realistic event would be power loss either during summer when temps are 110+ or in winter during a severe storm like we had last year when the temps didn't get about 18 degrees for a week. We also get transient outages that usually don't last more than 3 hours.

Our "Big Event" is economic problems. Bank closures, higher inflation than we've got now, gas prices so high truckers go on strike for a couple of weeks, Greece/Italy/Europe imploding economically, stuff like that.

The "woo-woo" event we talked about is global thermonuclear war as a fallout of what's going on with Iran and Russia and the middle east, in general. Are those folks crazy enough so that if/when they come up with a viable nuke, they'll use it?

Anywho, just wondering what others stay up at night and worry about.

Thanks!

Kajun

Wolfgang2000 and Sapper John like this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I Prep, because I come from Generations of Prep'ers, and it was the way I was brought up. Momma comes from another long line of Prep'ers, and we raised our children, with those same family Ideals. .... YMMV.....

Tracy, Sapper John and Cephus like this.
  3. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

I have been a prepper before I realized that was what it was called. I was not a doomsday prepper just a person that approached life being prepared for unknown situations. Whether it was a power outage, vehicle breaks down in the woods, going camping with more than I thought I needed, bring extra warm clothes even if it is sunny out as weather can change in the mountains at a moments notice, stuff like that.

I have been in the construction industry most of my 30 yr. working career, so I have seen my fair share of the feast and famine. I learned a long time ago to put extra food in the pantry and freezer because you never know when a lay-off will come or how long it will last in between projects.

Most of it comes from the school of hard knocks. The first time I had to walk 10 miles out of the woods when my truck broke down. I never left home without a toolbox and a few spare parts of some sort, even then what you have parts for is not what breaks. Gotta love Murphy, he rears his head when you don't see it coming.

Now I'm trying to prepare for more than just a couple months of unfortunate situations, hopefully that time will never come to pass.

4. hedger

hedger Monkey+

Why am I prepping?

Well, when you consider the range of possibilities, none of them, individually is a huge probability. However, if you add all of the probabilities up, you do get a surprisingly high possibility of SOMETHING happening that could have catastrophic results--either personally or regionally or more broad spread.

Additionally, there are daily events (job loss, illness, accidents, etc.) that could have a meaningfully negative impact.

The common sense rationale of prepping can dramatically moderate, or possibly eliminate, negative consequences in your life.

Sapper John likes this.
  5. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Being self-reliant has always been very important to me and is the way I have chosen to live my life. Prepping is just another form of self-reliance. Like CC, I don't prep with specifics in mind but with the awareness that the less dependent I am on others the more able I will be to confront come what may.

E.L. and Sapper John like this.
  6. gmt48

gmt48 Monkey+

For my peace of mind. As the old English maxim advises: "Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst".

weegrannymush and Sapper John like this.
  7. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I have recently had a few folks i've been talking with about prepping ask how they should approach their mates about the question of prepping...

so here was my answer...

Since December eastern NC has had:
    • a winter storm
    • wild fires
    • a tornados
    • tropical storms
    • a hurricane
    • and an earthquake
    during these almost 50,000 homes were damages, 70% of the area lost power for more than 3 days, some roads were blocked for as much as a week at a time (wild fires and hurricane), wells in 6 counties need to be tested and cleaned to ensure a safe water supply, and FEMA has run out of money... please tell me why shouldn't you <acronym title="Preparedness">prep</acronym>?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Read more: http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum/back-basics/30239-why-prep.html#ixzz1nXDd8REj

8. UGRev

UGRev Get on with it!

I STARTED prepping for economic reasons.. I continue to prep for the unknown unknown's; The random cosmic events that are conjured by Murphy and his law.

larryinalabama likes this.
  9. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

Prepping allows a person to make what most folks would consider emergencies into inconveniences. That is reason enough for me.

10. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

I have always been the guy with a couple months supply of food in the house and a lot of ammo and camping gear. After a major flood where I live I was approached by a man who has been prepping for forty years. I had been one of the leaders in the flood response that lasted six months. This lead to me becoming more formalized in how I prep. I have never felt that the world was a wonderful place full of lovely people. I have always felt that people were self centered and basically evil. Thirty years as an LEO has reinforced this.

The world will go to S**t, it always has and always will. Their are periods of peace and government followed by oppression and chaos. It a cycle and we have been in a good part so we are going to a bad part. To think America is soooo special as to not fall to human frailty or government oppression is dreaming. We will have a revolution again. It may be tomorrow or it may be 100 years but it will come.

And then there is disasters I have been thru a 7.0 quake, a large urban forest fire and 2 major floods, (I think God likes me) It will happen again and I will be prepared and survive.

11. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Because of McTavish. He thought Murphy to be an optimist.

McTavish is a distant cousin of Schummer.

12. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

I read One Second After and didn't like the thoughts of starving. That's when I started reading up on things: OSA, Patriots, then Light's Out. The 1-2-3 punch to your 'Life is Good' reality.

I figure I'm still screwed if TSHTF, but I figure I'll make it past the first cull. [monkeyeating]

weegrannymush likes this.
  13. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

I Prep cuz I'm just being ME! Canning, Freezing, Gardening, stockpiling food is just the way I was raised. Several years ago I decided I needed a hobby to get me outta the house. Can't stand useless skills like golf, so took up handguns. Now we all know handguns lead to becoming more conservative & worse yet taking more Self Responsibility. Not to mention having more guns....

Sheeple look around an see Lollypops & Rainbows. I look around an see the world as a Big Bad Place full of nasty crazy people & getting worse every day.

In my life I've learned when you need help the most, its never there. So I prepare to help myself in the future. It don't help that I'm cheap. Yeah sum might say "Thrifty" but I'm a bit more blunt & honest than that. I stock up when its on Sale, cuz paying Full Price offends me!!!

14. larryinalabama

larryinalabama Monkey++

I cant think of any reason not to prep, so Im trying. Personal SHITF is my first reason to prep and that can happen due to a number of factors natural diasters lack of work etc.

Personally I think the USA is in for some extremely hard years ahead. I think the country may stop operating for a breif period of time. Economic depression is extremely likley.

bebop, tulianr and Gator 45/70 like this.
  15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I was born to prep..It is the nature of the beast...

16. Suerto

Suerto Monkey+

Growing up in hurricane alley, and the oilfield, you are a born Prepper (if you got half a brain)

I wanted to get serious about it, but couldn't until momma finally came around in 08', when all my voiced concerns leading up to the crash began materializing.. Then she vacant a believer and interested.

Mainly for (in order of reality);Weather storms (hurricanes, blizzards), Economic hardship, Retirement, Economic meltdown, Civil unrest, federal reaction, Solar storms, magnetic polar shift, Continental re-alignment, And all the bad stuff at the end of the bible..We're aiming high and hoping to fall somewhere in the middle.;)

17. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Funny that you mention the oilfield...Where i work offshore on the Govt. classified ''Islands'' We have to prep for 2 week's supply's,Some out there may not see a boat or helicopter for a week at a time.You only have to sit around once doing without to realize that you need to keep enough supplys on hand...I get some of my training every other week..

larryinalabama and Cephus like this.
  18. Cephus

Cephus Monkey+++ Founding Member

Cause I still can !!!!

E.L., larryinalabama and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

How do you carry that much beer? :D

larryinalabama and Gator 45/70 like this.
  20. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Ahh..Alcohol is not allowed...Pitiful job i know:D

1. Modus Operandi
  2. Tully Mars
  3. Yard Dart
  4. Motomom34
  5. Motomom34
  6. weegrannymush
  7. larryinalabama
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7