1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

Gear Review 12" bow/hack saw combo

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by stg58, Dec 9, 2015.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

Soderholm combo saw.

I was walking by the tool aisle at a local store a couple weeks back and I spotted the saw pictured below.
    Will use standard 12" hacksaw and wood cutting bow saw blades. I cut up some wood with it and it did well and the hacksaw performed well steel steel frame with a blade guard.

It looks like a new addition for my trucks and/or BOB's small enough to go inside or strapped on the outside.
    It looks good made in Portugal NOT china and @ $8.50 I will pick up 1 or 2 more.

Miltona Turf Tools & Accessories
    Ganado, UncleMorgan, Hanzo and 4 others like this.
  2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey Site Supporter

I keep a flat style, blades go inside the handle and the tension arm folds on top of the handle.

More costly but light and compact.

Here is a stock photo.

Comes with 3 blades, wood, bone and steel.

I found this review to be exact and 100%. From Amazon.
    Mine was made in CANADA.

If you've seen or used a 21" Sven folding saw, the 21" Coghlans Folding Saw should look very familiar. It's virtually identical in size to the Sven. When folded, it's 21" long x 2-5/8" wide (at the wider folding handle end)x 1/2" thick. It weighs 16 oz. When deployed, the triangular geometry of the saw is almost identical to the Sven as well. But the similarities end there.

Coghlans has substantially improved on the folding triangle design. First, there are no loose parts like the Sven's notoriously easy-to-misplace wing nut for attaching and tensioning the blade. Instead, all of the Coghlans saw's pieces are integrally connected--virtually eliminating the likelihood of losing a piece in the field.

Second, because everything is connected, the saw can be deployed much quicker than the Sven. All you do is (1) fold down the handle, (2) loosen the saw blade retention screw, (3) fold out the saw blade, (4) slide the hole in the free end of the blade onto the peg on the tensioning handle, and (5) fold the tensioning handle up into place. The blade locks solidly into position with perfect tension and voila! You're done!""
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  3. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Have you compared the performance versus a Sven saw?
    UncleMorgan likes this.
  4. HK_User

Had a Seven Saw, problem with the 7 is the chance of lost parts. Loose the wing nut while camping and you are SOL for a saw.
    UncleMorgan and Hanzo like this.
  5. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Never tried a Sven saw. If you lost a part, would you be able to improvise with a twig as a peg to hold the saw in place?
    UncleMorgan likes this.
  6. HK_User

Hanzo and UncleMorgan like this.
  7. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

For truck camping the whole tool is very practical , however your right , a handle can be made in the woods if there is wood to cut.
    I keep a 40" bow saw blade and several nails in my cooking pot in the back pack and it's never a problem . You never know when a nail or two will come in handy .
    As for regular work I prefer that Soderholm style hack saw, but you know what I think my son took mine , I'll have to find another or make one. no big deal.
  1. Ura-Ki
  2. H.I.S Survival
  3. OldDude49
  4. Legion489
  5. Legion489
  6. arleigh
  7. Motomom34
  8. arleigh
  9. Motomom34
  10. Motomom34
  11. Ganado
  12. phorisc