14 x 14 cabin

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by tacmotusn, Mar 2, 2013.

1. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

storage, guest cottage, or many other possibilities

Gator 45/70 and chelloveck like this.
  2. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

hank2222 likes this.
  3. -06

-06 Monkey+++

We are so spoiled in the US. People build "McMansions" with 20 rooms, six baths, and six bay garages for only 2--4 people. As a kid growing up on a dirt road farm we lived in a two bedroom uninsulated farm house. When the wind blew the curtains blew. We four kids shared the same bed room till we grew a bit. Mom/Dad took the middle room as a bedroom and us kids took the bedrooms on either side. A 14X14 is a lot of space if used correctly. We moved a horse barn for a family that they turned into a very nice home. Stalls became bedrooms, halls were gathering rooms, and bath was in the feed room. One can do with a lot if needed.

4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

my wife's grandmother lived in a chicken coop, and no, they didn't ask her for eggs....

5. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

My granddad and uncle built a concrete block garage / workshop behind his house. Probably 20 x 40 ft. A couple years later they subdivided the whole shebang and made it a 1 car garage and a 3 room house / apartment. Main room 9 x 28, Br 11 x 16, Kitchen 11 x 12. Cold water only sink, frig, gas stove/oven. 2 holer outhouse beyond 1 car garage end of house. Lived there for my first 5 years.

6. gasman28110

gasman28110 Monkey+

I remember hearing my mom and dad talk about some of the places they lived, bot howdy that 14X14 is a McMansion compared to them.

donpapa likes this.
  7. kellory

And yet, if we proposed to house welfare people in one of these cabins, we would be called inhumane. (and worse)

STANGF150 likes this.
  8. cdnboy66

cdnboy66 Monkey++

nice, find myself researching optional living in small spaces lately

came across this video about multi function space saving furniture like murphy beds but with a twist.
    I'm sure they are not cheap, but they may provide some inspiration as well.

kellory likes this.
  9. HappyPuppy

HappyPuppy Monkey

Looks good. Fifty years ago I helped my father build a workshop that was similar size and materials. It is still in fine condition. There is just something about building things with your own 2 hands that is so rewarding.

chelloveck likes this.
  10. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

Do a search on Tiny House Movement and you will be amazed what has been happening behind your back. Thousands have join the "down-sizing" movement to find satisfaction in NOT having a mortgage as well as having built your own tiny house.

It is my intention to built a tiny house at our bug out location.

Beano likes this.
  11. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

When you put the key in the front door you break the back window ! [tongue]

While I like the idea of an affordable, cheap-to-heat home, I'd go crazy if I had to be cooped up in something that small with my wife !

12. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I hink a 20x20 two story is what i would rather have.... with a full basement... ya gotta have somewhere for the preps....;)

13. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

If I get into something that small, it'll be in an assisted living facility.

14. Witch Doctor 01

Might make a good BOL....

15. kellory

I'm thinking hunting Cabin.

16. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Up here this would be considered a "Mansion".....

17. Witch Doctor 01

Yep you have two feet of insulation on each side of the building and 60 inches in the ceiling...;)

18. kellory

19. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

My problem with that video, he used CHIP BOARD!!! Thats a horrible thing to use if you want it to actually Last!!! Only thing worse would be Particle Board!!!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

My problem is one I got called out on earlier in this thread. I am sort of building one of those huge MacMansions. It is my dream house. It has been underconstruction for a long time. Hopefully I will live long enough to enjoy and share it. I have been tempted many times to throw in the towel in defeat, but I have so much time, money and sweat equity invested that I refuse to give up and just continue on. At this point I sort of consider it a legacy project. I should have built something smaller to start with like this little 14 x 14 cabin. The dream house is concree block construction. 5400 square foot under roof, of which only 1800 square feet is to be heated and cooled. 1800 square feet of covered porch on 3 sides (west, north and south). I could go on and on, but will cut it short. I am weathered in completely and county tax assessor considers it 40% complete. Finances has been the largest impedimet until recently, and now I find myself a bit older and slower and less capable than when I started. Oh well it is slowly progressing now.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7