1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

.17 hmr

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by sasquatch91, Oct 27, 2011.

1. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+

anyone favor a .17 hmr fer varmits? i got a savage and love it, whats yer thoughts onit.
    Kingfish likes this.
  2. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Adventure Riding Monkey Founding Member

I got the Marlin 17V, shortly after it was introduced. Laser accurate, if I do my part. I have it set up as identically to my Marlin 25MN (.22WMR) as possible, to minimise the learning curve. Magazines are interchangeable, and both wear the same Bushnell scope.
    While I don't yet have any true 'practical use' for it, I do enjoy shooting it.
    Just wish ammo weren't so steeply priced.

I was impressed by the cartridge after watching "Varmint Al's" videos, where he used an early TC Contender barrel in .17HMR and literally blew a rat off a fencepost - "Red Mist"! ;)
    Kingfish likes this.
  3. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+

sighted in my old marlin and my uncle shot a starling sitting in a tree at 85 yards. they area flat shooting gun.
    Kingfish likes this.
  4. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+

traded mine for a stainless ruger 10/22, really a more effective gun in my area and alot cheaper to shoot!
    Kingfish likes this.
  5. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I have a Savage .17HMR also, with a 3x9 on top. I've put 2 rounds right next to each other at 100 yards but other than that haven't shot it much.
    Kingfish likes this.
  6. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I don't have one but have seen how accurate they are at the range. Not real loud either. I don,t have a real need for one so I didn't buy one. My .22 Rifles take care of my small caliber spots and are less expensive to shoot. KF
  7. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+

excatly why i traded my .17 for a ruger 10/22 i can kill just as good with my ruger as i could with that .17
  8. Espada

Espada Monkey+

Maybe... I had my Ruger 77/22 converted to.17 by Clark, up in Princeton, Louisiana, who guaranteed 1 m.o.a @ 100 yards.

It does, and drops smaller varmints like they were poleaxed. Not the end-all, but loads of fun.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary