.17 hmr

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by sasquatch91, Oct 27, 2011.

1. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

anyone favor a .17 hmr fer varmits? i got a savage and love it, whats yer thoughts onit.

Kingfish likes this.
  2. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I got the Marlin 17V, shortly after it was introduced. Laser accurate, if I do my part. I have it set up as identically to my Marlin 25MN (.22WMR) as possible, to minimise the learning curve. Magazines are interchangeable, and both wear the same Bushnell scope.
    While I don't yet have any true 'practical use' for it, I do enjoy shooting it.
    Just wish ammo weren't so steeply priced.

I was impressed by the cartridge after watching "Varmint Al's" videos, where he used an early TC Contender barrel in .17HMR and literally blew a rat off a fencepost - "Red Mist"! ;)

Kingfish likes this.
  3. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

sighted in my old marlin and my uncle shot a starling sitting in a tree at 85 yards. they area flat shooting gun.

Kingfish likes this.
  4. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

traded mine for a stainless ruger 10/22, really a more effective gun in my area and alot cheaper to shoot!

Kingfish likes this.
  5. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I have a Savage .17HMR also, with a 3x9 on top. I've put 2 rounds right next to each other at 100 yards but other than that haven't shot it much.

Kingfish likes this.
  6. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I don't have one but have seen how accurate they are at the range. Not real loud either. I don,t have a real need for one so I didn't buy one. My .22 Rifles take care of my small caliber spots and are less expensive to shoot. KF

7. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

excatly why i traded my .17 for a ruger 10/22 i can kill just as good with my ruger as i could with that .17

8. Espada

Espada Monkey+

Maybe... I had my Ruger 77/22 converted to.17 by Clark, up in Princeton, Louisiana, who guaranteed 1 m.o.a @ 100 yards.

It does, and drops smaller varmints like they were poleaxed. Not the end-all, but loads of fun.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7