.22 hornet

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by oldman11, Nov 6, 2018.

1. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

anybody shooting a .22 hornet? I have a ruger 77/.22 hornet that shoots like a dream. I need to start reloading as the hornet is expensive to shoot. So far the biggest animal I’ve harvested was a pretty good sized hog,one shot. The old calibers are the best.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I've never even seen one this far south?

sec_monkey likes this.
  3. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

A Savage 24v in 22 Hornet over 20 gauge I've taken a lot of deer with it a few Hogs a lot of coyote Fu Gators and a bunch of turkeys if the turkeys don't come in for the shotgun you can reach out and touch him with a hornet

Gator 45/70, oldman11 and sec_monkey like this.
  4. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

gud stuff (y) (y) however price plus availability aint gud :( :(

Hornady goes for $1.00 per round

the cheapest brand is right around $0.70 per round from a gud supplier that we looked at

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Ya gotta reload! The little Hornet was never as popular as it should have been! SAD!!!
    Midway has it for .48 cents a round right now! It's Privi Partisan, actually pretty good stuff!

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  6. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

.48 a round is ok,I’m going to order 500 tomorrow while my wife is gone. I’m getting good at getting things I want without her knowing,I think.

7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Yeah, Believe that, They know................hahaha

oldawg, SB21 and sec_monkey like this.
  8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

oldman11 I wish you lived closer, We could get together and load up a few rounds for that Hornet.

As the crow fly's, How many miles are we from lets say Toledo Bend,100, 150 ?

sec_monkey likes this.
  9. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I have a Krag-Hornet that was built on what was likely a .22 WRF barrel. It had the threaded stub of a Krag barrel grafted onto it and had the early .22 Hornet with .223 groove diameter.

I re-barreled it using the original contour with a .224" bore. I sealed the bottom of the receiver with JB weld, and I'm still working on sights and an extractor that'll reach the tiny Hornet rim.

It's fun to shoot, and I found a Lee mold for .224 bullets. I haven't worked much with them, but it likes 40 grain Hornady green tip "zombie" bullets.

I also had fun with .22 pellets and magnum pistol primers. :) No powder.

I think the .22 Hornet is a hoot.

oldman11, Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  10. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

I believe it’s less than a 100 miles

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  11. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Good round the 22 Hornet. It's a reloadable 22 mag! Gotta love old school.

Alf60, oldawg, oldman11 and 2 others like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7