24volt charger

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Hillbilly549, Sep 1, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Hillbilly549

Hillbilly549 Monkey

Recommendations for a 24 volt charger to top off my 24 volt lifepo4 battery pack when the days get short this winter and panels aren't getting it done.

duane likes this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Doesn’t it really depend on where you are getting your Charger Power from?

duane likes this.
  3. Hillbilly549

Hillbilly549 Monkey

Probably. I don't know, but I'm talking about a charger plugged into a generator. Clearly this is a part of the offgrid power puzzle I'm still struggling with. I built our 200ah system and it works great, but I want to make sure that when I have to supplement the solar I'm using the right equipment.

4. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

The internet is full of battery chargers,
    I bought a 48 volt charger meant for lead acid batteries, and it does just fine.
    The kind of battery matters so include that in your search.

Hillbilly549 likes this.
  5. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Iota makes the best as i use 5 here . Size of amp hour of batterys will tell you the amp size Sir.
    my largest is 90 amp
    Sloth

Hillbilly549 likes this.
  6. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

I use an Iota as well. 45amp for 800amp/hr battery bank.

Hillbilly549 likes this.
  7. Hillbilly549

Hillbilly549 Monkey

I'm about to order one. My Life Po4 battery bank is 200 Ah....what amperage is ideal? 25 Amp? 40?

Also, and anyone can answer this if possible. Do I have to disconnect the batteries from tge system to charge them? Might be a stupid question but my concerns are damage to other components in the system, obviously.

Thanks. Not sure where I'd be without you guys.

8. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

If you're charging 24 volt LiFePO4 the charger must be capable of 28 volts to fully charge the batteries, and 10% of total AH (rule of thumb) so 20 amps.

You can charge with the controller connected, it will just see it as full batteries and stop charging from the solar.

Hillbilly549 likes this.
  9. Cruisin Sloth

I differ with above , is the system grid tied ? and are you using the grid to charge and run the system ? or is the charge coming from a stand alone gen set , question one , Q2 has the inverter got an AC in for a gen set ?
    Then I'll answer @Hillbilly549
    Sloth

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. Hillbilly549

Hillbilly549 Monkey

So, would a 30 Amp charger be detrimental? I'm searching my butt off and options aren't as clear as I wouldve thought. Victron has a good option but it's 30 amp

11. Cruisin Sloth

@Hillbilly549
    Question 2,,,, has the inverter got an AC in for a gen set ?
    Grid tied ?

WE don't know you setup , ground looping is something to avoid on electrical stuff

Sloth

12. Hillbilly549

Hillbilly549 Monkey

No AC in on inverter.
    Off grid

13. Hillbilly549

Hillbilly549 Monkey

Leaning this direction.

Screenshot_20211102-093000~2.

14. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

12 volt Lifepo likes 14.2 to 14.7 charge voltage single, 14.1 when in series. Also, if your batteries have a BMS built in it may not like just any charger, especially running in series. I have some running 24v in series and every so often the BMS in one of the batteries will trip, requiring me to disconnect power briefly. The first charger I used was a golf cart charger and it would trip both every time. Now I have a Victron 3000s and use a military surplus 28 VDC generator when I have to add charge.

15. Cruisin Sloth

Iota have an Adjustable voltage system and a smart charger for Lifepo cells
    I'll see if I can find mine and so
    You'll be ok with that Charger and a gen set

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. Hillbilly549

Hillbilly549 Monkey

Yes, the one I ordered has the iq4 which allows for life Po4 settings. I had to be real careful about where I ordered from because the listings looked exactly the same....but some had the bulk voltage adapter, some didn't...some had the iq4 which gives the auto features to go from bulk/absorption/float etc...some didn't.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  17. Hillbilly549

Hillbilly549 Monkey

I built this battery pack from 200Ah 3.2 cells so no built in bms.

Tempstar and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  18. Hillbilly549

Hillbilly549 Monkey

Received the charger and it works beautifully....except it didn't come with the iq4 jack as listed, which means I have to watch it closely. Contacted Ebay seller and they are sending it out. Incorrect description but making it right...good customer support anyway. They better fix that listing or it could get expensive quick!

1. Southbound
  2. omingnome
  3. ZigZag
  4. kellory
  5. Hanzo
  6. robfindlay
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7