$29 iPhone battery replacement price ends December

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Hanzo, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Replaced mine yesterday. Phone was shutting down periodically. Looked it up and found out it could be a bad battery. Found out how to check and sure enough. Checked everyone's and mine was the only one that needed replacing.

Apple guy asked me how old my phone was. I had no idea. So said maybe a year or two. Then he checked and told me my phone was three years old and was due for a new battery. The girls' ones are all newer.

Just a note, when scheduling online, it tells you that it could take up to five days. Not so. 90 minutes.

Just right for lunch and a stroll. Wifee wanted to come along so it turned into a lunch date. I had no phone, so here are my wife’s more artistic pictures. Then she scarfed. No pictures of all the assorted tempura we had. I really like this tempura bar.

techsar and 3M-TA3 like this.
  2. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Yesterday turned in to a total tech day. My laserjet printer and my scanner decided to die at around the same time. Their replacements arrived yesterday. So back in business.

By the way, if you need a scanner, consider Fujitsu. Mine lasted nine years or troublefree and reliable service. Only thing that went wrong after nine freaking years... the rubber on the rollers degrading. Will post a review of it.

3. hitchcock4

hitchcock4 Monkey++

Hanzo, did they make you erase data from your iPhone? According to this page, you should backup your data (always!!) and then erase and reset the phone. Here's the link I found: iPhone 6s Program for Unexpected Shutdown Issues - Apple Support
    Glad that worked out for you!

Hanzo likes this.
  4. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

For this battery replacement round it is very unlikely that you would need to. That being said, a backup is always a good idea no matter what.

The reason that even Apple suggests that you have a backup,and actually asks you at the store and depending on the damage will either refuse to do the work until you do or have you sign a VERY legally binding, VERY detailed waiver, is that in many cases they simply replace the phone and help you register it on the network. Depending on the extent of the damage to case, screen and potentially internal components, it's faster and therefore cheaper to replace the phone than to actually repair anything. Thus...you need a backup.

In the case of the battery replacement program, there was supplemental training on replacing the battery and the actual average time it takes an Apple employee to replace the battery is right around 9-10 minutes if they really take their time. THAT isn't worth replacing the phone over and it is exceedingly unlikely that they will end up wiping the phone accidentally in the process. Reason being, it's painfully straight forward on these specific phones. Two screws (with the right bit) takes less than a minute to remove. A suction cup to pivot up the screen - 30 seconds. Remove 2-4 ribbon cables - 1.5 minutes (actually the second most time consuming part of the repair, tied with replacing the cables). Remove the ribbon cable for the battery - 30 seconds. Pry the battery off of the double-sided tape - 30 seconds. Replace the battery - 1 minute. Replace all the ribbon cables - 1.5 minutes. Pivot the screen back down and replace the screws - 1 minute. Power the thing back up - just shy of 2 minutes (longer for a first boot after battery disconnect).

Video below shows someone replacing the battery, in near real-time, in right around 9 minutes.

Hanzo and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  5. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Hanzo likes this.
  6. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

No. Did not lose anything. Their CYA is that you could.

7. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

It was worth $29 for me to have them do it. And I had a leisurely lunch date with wifee. Perfect timing.

oldawg likes this.
  8. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

29 dollars with a leisurely lunch date with your wifee is a deal SIR !
    Airfare is the problem ;)
    Sloth
    I like reading about the kids & the dog .almost the same here .without kids .
    S

oldawg and Motomom34 like this.
  9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have an old Apple with the battery failing. One thing to know is that with every new software up-date, Apple is killing your old phone. Apple makes money selling new phones and they do not want people to have the same phone for years. I do not install up-dates anymore because the last one almost killed my phone. Yes, my battery needs replacing but it hasn't got to the point where it is critical.

Another thing I learned is that Apple says that your data and everything is stored on the cloud. They say free storage but it is only a small amount that gets free storage. People need to make sure they are paying the monthly fee to have all their info saved.

10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

If anyone allows Apple, or any other Company, to store their Backup Data on an Internet connected system, they deserve to have it Hacked, Lost or Destroyed... Keep your OWN Backups in your OWN Possession, and away from the Internet, like OFFLINE Storage.. that is held in your own possession... Anything else is just ignoring the Danger...

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7