Tails 3.3: Can’t use TOR browser for more than 10 minutes

Discussion in 'TOR | TAILS' started by Hr.Ali, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Hr.Ali

Hr.Ali Neophyte Monkey

Being an atheist and writing against radical Islam isn’t an easy job. I made a secret Facebook profile a year ago and have been using TAILS OS since January 2017. I am not sure, it was TAILS 2.XX version, it worked fine except for few problems while browsing internet.

After using it for several months, I finally decided to upgrade it to 3.3; the latest version just released few days ago. Previous version was installed on a 4 GB, 3.3 needs at least 8 GB disk for new installation. But they said that one could still perform manual upgrade on the same 4GB drive. I followed the instructions but upgrade failed. Then I tried manual upgrade from 2.XX to 3.0 followed by 3.3 and it worked.

Now I can start TAILS 3.3, connect to my WiFi, successfully launch TOR browser after waiting for few minutes and log in to my Facebook account. And this is where the problem begins; the system freezes few minutes after logging in to Facebook. My laptop’s fan goes crazy; I could move the cursor but can’t touch any button /menu/icon on the screen. I can’t even reach for ‘Swtich Off’ button to shut it down, press and hold physical power button is the only option to exit TAILS once the problem starts.

Then I thought it might need a bigger disk to operate or there could be an error during installation process. So today I got a new 16 GB (3.0) SanDisk and performed a new install (I used an 8 GB Sony SD Card with a card reader as intermediary installation USB). The only improvement is, now it boots slightly faster with 16 GB drive. However, freezing problem is still there. I can’t use Facebook for more than 10 minutes. That problem was there even with 2.XX version but it used to occur only when I open 5+ Tabs + Graphic Application + Writer at the same time or after using it for more than 2 hours in one session. Now I can’t browse internet even with a single tab and no other application running.

I unable to find any discussion regarding TAILS 3.3 as it’s the latest system just launched a week ago. Please tell me what should I do to fix the problem? And I’m also looking for advice like if I must downgrade, then which one should I choose, 3.0 or 3.2?

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7