3 New Rifles

Discussion in 'Range reports' started by MountainMariner, Jul 8, 2015.

1. MountainMariner

MountainMariner Clearly Ambiguous

So I shot three new rifles today.

First was a 30-06 Remington Long Range. Shooting the 178 AMAX with 59.4 grains of Superperformance powder and Federal 210 primers with Lapua brass. 5 rounds shot for an average 2862 fps.

Blah.

Not impressed. 5" group at 100 yards. Next five rounds will be loaded down to 58.0 grains and will stray from SAMMI specs of 3.220 COA to a .010 jump.

Next up was a Remington Sendero II in 300 Win Mag. Also shooting the 178 AMAX with H4831 at 75.0 grains. Hornady brass and Federal GM 215 M primers. Average FPS was 2935 for a 1" MOA group.

Blah.

Next round will bump up to 75.5 grains of H4831 and will measure for a minimal jump instead of SAMMI 3.340.

And the most disappointing next was a 350 Remington Magnum Ruger M77 MkII shooting 250 grain Hornady SP with 49.0 grains of IMR 4064. Federal 210 primers. Average FPS was 2125 and the group size was minute of pie plate at 100 yards. Switching to RL15 and going for 2300 FPS. The 250 grain bullets won't let me load to a minimal jump because of the mag box length so I may switch to the Hornady 200 grain SP bullet.

stg58 likes this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Looks to this reader, that you have a lot of Barrel Testing to do, to find the "Sweet Spot" Loading for each of your new Weapons..... When I do this, I load 5 round Groups, and vary the Powder in .5 Grain increments between Groups, and start, usually 2 Grains below the average Loading Book Data, and then work up to about 3 or 4 Grains above, while staying under the Maximum SAMMI Pressure.
    Once I get a group that is close to right, then I can refine the Loading further, for that Specific Weapon. Over the years, my Loading Book has gotten thicker, and I find that most Barrels, group up nicely within a couple of Grains, one way or the other, for any particular Cartridge. My AR10 with the 24" Stainless Bull Barrel, like it's .308 just a touch on the Hot Side of the Loading Chart, but my 1894 SaddleRing Carbine, in 30-30, prefers a slightly smaller Loading than the average Loading Book Data recommends. Each Barrel is different, and it just takes some time, to find what it likes....

3. MountainMariner

All three could go hotter. The only one I'm bumping down is the 30-06. Superperformance powder has been readily accessible in the past years so I'm trying to figure out a loading for that powder.

The 300 Win Mag is apparently a shooter out of the box. Minor tweeking on that one. Should be no problem.

The 350 Rem Mag needs to throw those 250's at 2300 FPS or I'm going to have to go down to 200 grain bullets. I'm not feeling good about the 250's because that Ruger just doesn't want to play that game it appears. Hopefully changing to RL15 and running a compressed load will change her mind. This is the moose and grizzly rifle I intend to carry. The other rifles I have are to dang heavy to carry about.

4. BTPost

Many Bush Folks use 45-70 GuideGuns for that... Not to heavy, Lever Action, and big enough to do the job, without breaking your shoulder....

Mountainman likes this.
  5. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

405+ grains of pure butt ugly sexy, a .45-70 is. Haha.

6. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Looks like it is on the approved list of rifles for Ohio deer, as well. That might become my deer rifle. (Assuming I can find one in my price range, of course)

Legal deer hunting rifles are chambered for the following calibers: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110 and .500 Smith & Wesson.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
    Brokor likes this.
  7. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Legal here is anything centerfire and .20 or better...

I have been looking at the Marling 1895's again. A Sharps carbine is still too far outside my means at the moment, but those things are awesome.

kellory likes this.
  8. MountainMariner

Funny you should mention the 45-70 BTPost, it is the next caliber on my list for the reasons you mention. I found my issue with the 30-06, loose scope base. I took two shots to get on paper, the next three went horizontal. Remounted the base and will try it again with the same load.

The Ruger suffers from a horrible factory trigger. I will order a Timney for that before getting too serious about load work up. The Sendero has a Jewell trigger which is incredible at 2.0 pounds. The Long Range is going to get one also, just waiting for them to come back in stock. Right now it has the factory trigger which won't adjust lower than 4.5 pounds. The factory Ruger breaks at 5.0 pounds. I think the Ruger will get a McMillian stock too.

9. BTPost

Those old Lever Guns are very handy out here in the bush...

10. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I have a Remington double rifle in .45-70 that I like a lot.

11. MountainMariner

Got all three good to go. The 350 Remington Magnum Ruger M77 MKII has to use 200 grain bullets, not 250's as they can't be fed from the magazine due to COL. The 300 is shooting at 3000 fps with 178 AMAX, the 30-06 at 2800 with the 178 AMAX and the 350 is shooting at 2750 with the 200's. I shot a five round group of 250's out of the 350 RM but had to single load them. Also got those to 2300 fps. That 350 Remington Magnum puts a thumping on the shoulder. Have not weighed it yet but I'm guessing it's a 8# rifle with scope.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7