338 Lapua Magnum Deals

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by BenP, Apr 2, 2019.

Tags:
  1. BenP

BenP Monkey++

I'm getting the itch for 338 in an AR style platform but they seem really expensive. Anyone seen any good deals around?

sec_monkey, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

@Ura-Ki has a 338 Lapua in a Savage that is as or more accurate than an AI he also has. They are bargains new and you see them every so often used on gun forums pretty inexpensively.

3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Good Lord 338 Lapua, I shudder to think of the cost.
    One the other hand I've read these will reach out and touch!

BenP, sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  4. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

If you think the rifle is expensive, price the ammo!

Oddcaliber, Gator 45/70, BenP and 3 others like this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Its a reloaders dream, brass lasts forever, and outside the cost of bullets, lots of powder and primers, it's about what .30/06 or .300 WM cost to feed! Once you have the rifle, it's all about rollin your own to really stretch your abilities! LOL Per round costs are about a buck each plus or minus depending on where you get your components!
    I got the Savage for $1100 on sale NEW, the mags cost about $60 per ( same as the A.I.) vs what the Accuracy International Rifle, cost $3500+
    Both rifles will shoot beyond most shooters abilities, the only limits are you and your optic and ammo!
    THE Savage has a new factory fast twist barrel, and has the edge in range and accuracy over the older A.I.it's also a lot easier to tune and swap barrels if/when needed, and far cheaper too, and there are lots of aftermarket parts for Savage, so it's really the bolt action equivalent of the AR!

Gator 45/70, tacmotusn, BenP and 3 others like this.
  6. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

well then ya might need Lucy optics fer that .338 Lapua Mag ;) ;) or any other tool ya might have had in yer stash before that terrible boating accident

they is on sale fer 24 hours.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  7. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Diamond K Brass has new .338 Lapua Magnum brass at $79.50 for 50 pieces. Midway has 50 .250 gr. .338 Sierra Match Kings for $37.99 and an 8 pound jug of Vihtavuori N165 is $221.95 from Midway. (560 rounds @100 gr.) Add 5000 Federal 215M primers to make the hazmat charge worthwhile and you're in business. There are a dozen good powder choices available, and you'll want to test them all. Then there's the press, dies, gauges, scales. And good quality glass. You'll likely spend more on a quality optic than you do on the rifle. Have to have some quality mounts, and they're not cheap.

... and that's why I shoot a lot of .22 Match ammo.

Gator 45/70, tacmotusn, BenP and 4 others like this.
  8. BenP

BenP Monkey++

I have reloading equipment and all my bolt guns are savage. I think I want the 338 in semi auto but the price tag is looking like a deal breaker. I was looking at the Noreen bad news rifles and the price difference between the 270 and 338 is at least a few grand.

9. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Local Police snipers have moved from .308 Winchester to .270 Winchester. Either one is capable at distances where you can't identify the target without magnification...if the target is going to sit still and let you shoot it.

techsar, BenP, Gator 45/70 and 3 others like this.
  10. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

I am happy with my 6.5cm. It reaches out just fine. Good for hunting.whatever. I have 230.00 invested in it. My Rifle had a factory rebate and I worked on the trigger. I put a muzzle break on it and its like shooting a .22 rifle.

techsar, BenP, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  11. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

And I thought 45-70 ammo was high,I can buy 45-70 ammo for what .338 brass sells for. My “semi-assault weapon” is my Ruger mini thirty with thirty rd mags.

12. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Lol! .338 L.M. aint for sissies! Full disclosure here, long range work is a hobby for most, and until you can reach the levels of what that big .338 can actually do, most are better served by a 7mm rem mag, or .300 Win Mag!

techsar, BenP, Gator 45/70 and 4 others like this.
  13. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Don't forget, .30/06 is still the "Gold Standard" for this type of shootin, especially on a budget! 1760 Yards ( One Mile) is quite possible for this "Old" cartridge if you have a good rifle, good hand loads, and good optics ( and learn how to use it all) most would be well served with this cartridge! Heck, if I could have gotten my TRG-42 in .30/06 I would have! As it is, .300 WM is pretty easy to reload and performance is a little better then the mighty Aught Six! And for those who say the .300 is superior, note that it is only 2% faster then the 06 for 20% more powder ( and recoil), and range at the big end is only about 300 Meters more on the best day! Can YOU get ether one there?

SAKO TRG-42 .300 W.M! Best to date 2310 Meters 1/8 natural dispersion! 1/9 twist barrel!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    techsar, BenP, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  14. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

I got like 30 rounds of 8mm Remington Magnum ammo. Really want a rifle to shoot this stuff up!

Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7