1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

80 Million dollars and microsoft still sucks

Discussion in 'Technical' started by stg58, Oct 19, 2016 at 0:01.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

Insecure, buggy, crash prone and full of spyware.
    80 million dollars and on TV half the year in primetime and they can't make their crap work at 16 games(not including byes) per weekend.

Tablet, notebook, phone or desktop microsoft sucks...

he doesn't mention Microsoft's Surface by name, that's the device the tech giant pays $80 million dollars a year for teams to use on the sidelines. It's also the one he just smashed in a game against the Bills earlier this month.

"As you probably noticed, I'm done with the tablets," Belichick said at a press conference today, in response to a question about issues he had with the tech during the Patriots' latest game. "I've given them as much time as I can give them. They're just too undependable for me," he added. "I'm going to stick with pictures as several of our other coaches do as well because there just isn't enough consistency in the performance of the tablets.

Belichick says he "just can't take it anymore," noting that he's going back to relying on printed images to view and analyze plays. "It's a personal decision. "I'll use the paper pictures from here on because I've given it my best shot," he added. "I've tried to work through the process but it just doesn't work for me and that's because there's no consistency to it."

Dont, sec_monkey, Ganado and 5 others like this.
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Monkey

Finally, some entertainment in pro football!! [LMAO][LMAO][LMAO]
    Ura-Ki and Altoidfishfins like this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator

They don't call it "micro-Squash" for nothing....
    Ura-Ki likes this.
  4. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey++

Well, it certainly looks like he did the right thing.
    Ura-Ki likes this.
  5. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey..... Moderator Site Supporter++

He is a cry baby...just like his QB!!
    Ura-Ki, Ganado and 3M-TA3 like this.
  6. ghrit

ghrit Ambulatory anachronism Administrator Founding Member

That doesn't lessen the irritation with M$ across the board. Dunno what they are pushing, but if it's W10 related, ol' Billy isn't far off.
    Ura-Ki and Yard Dart like this.
  7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I will have to keep one MS workstation going to run some engineering software, but as soon as I can successfully test my media applications on Linux the rest will go away. M$'s plan for a single OS for all devices is about as smart as a single set of clothes to cover everything from fixing a busted sewer to your daughter's wedding. They should have simply incrementally improved 7 and left well enough alone.

I'm very impressed with a Lubuntu install I did on a hundred dollar refurbished laptop. It's faster than my ten times more powerful Win 10 laptop.
    Altoidfishfins, Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  8. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey++

@3M-TA3 I use to use Unix in the old days so... I am going to build a fast computer probably next month after seeing if I can get any deals off this 'Black Friday' thing that happens. Actually, the computer is mostly for games as I'm jealous of all those on the forum who play Fallout 4 so since I have built one before then I will do so again. But, I have been giving some thought about operating systems as I don't like some of the stuff I am hearing about Windows 10.

Question: Can I run all games on Linux? What application do I have to load to run games on Linux and will this cause a huge hit on performance?
    Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  9. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Unfortunately, to run most games you will want to run Windwoes. From what I have seen so far there is not a lot of support for Linux based gaming. I think the Linux market is too small to justify the development expense and also the video and sound drivers aren't as good as the Windwoes drivers.
  10. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

nope :(

f4 requires win plus high end hardware :cry:

buy w7. avoid 8 and 10

3M-TA3 and Ura-Ki like this.
  11. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

W10 is a bit better behaved since they pushed out the "anniversary patch", and the WSAPI improvements are great if you are using it for audiophile quality sound, but ouside of that W7 is still the version to get. I can't stand that W10 spies on your and M$ has the gall to charge you for it.

Pay the extra money for the license that lets you can upgrade or replace motherboards since M$ will tombstone it to force users to W10 or the latest pile of MicroCrap. My final M$ OS will live where it can't access the outside network so when I lose AV support it won't matter - all it will be used for will be engineering software. Everything that will be able to access the outside will be Linux or TAILS for really secure stuff.
  12. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey++

@3M-TA3 "Pay the extra money for the license that lets you can upgrade or replace motherboards since M$ will tombstone it to force users to W10 or the latest pile of MicroCrap."
    Wait! Are you saying that Microsoft now will not let you upgrade/replace your motherboard on W7?!?! Are you sure about this? What about Video cards? I'm speechless because I have never heard this before and can't believe they would go this far. Maybe I better rethink this...Yes, please reply because this is news to me.

@sec_monkey " f4 requires win plus high end hardware...buy w7. avoid 8 and 10"
    Well, I was going to drop the bucks and build a pretty high-end machine but not so sure now and will wait for 3M-TA3's reply.
    I am using 8.1 on my laptop and its okay, seems stable. My fear about 10 is it seems they have complete control of it and there a lot of simple things like updates that they force you do to do which annoys me. Of course, one should update but I don't like being forced to do anything. Aren't they stopping support for 7 soon?
    sec_monkey likes this.
  13. sec_monkey

f4 is on sale right now for $29.99 without any of the DLCs

the game is 50% off the DLCs plus season pass are 33% off.

• Recommended:
      • Processor: Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz/AMD FX-9590 4.7 GHz or equivalent
      • Memory: 8 GB RAM
      • Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 780 3GB/AMD Radeon R9 290X 4GB or equivalent
      • Storage: 30 GB available space

go higher (y) much higher (y)

versions of w 7/8/10 will stop workin if ya change the motherboard or other parts in the PC. They have done this for years

Buy a version that allows ya to upgrade motherboards as @3M-TA3 said (y) and gives ya more than a couple activations
    Ura-Ki and 3M-TA3 like this.
  14. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Once you register an OEM Windows license (that's the more "inexpensive" license when you go shopping) you are bound to the exact same motherboard type you installed it on - that information gets recorded when you complete the licensing. If you buy the non OEM that costs around 50-80 more you can move it to a new motherboard.
  15. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey++

Un-friggin-believable! Okay, so I will go shopping for a non-OEM that allows upgrades. I might have to ask you a few more question about this later...honestly, unbelievable. Especially given that is the reason I am building a machine so that I can easily upgrade it myself in the future.
  16. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

You are going to love this one - and I don't know if M$ has fixed it - making a major system change like a new video card can require you to re-register regardless of OEM or non OEM license. It's not a real challenge, but an annoyance.
    Ura-Ki likes this.
  17. sec_monkey

yep they still do that and they aint fixin it
    Ura-Ki likes this.
  18. sec_monkey

plus when ya change boards if it aint identical several win vers will blue screen and yer [sinking][banghead][banghead]
    Ura-Ki and 3M-TA3 like this.
  19. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey++

That is just crazy. So, if I purchase a faster video card I then have to go through registration process all over again...I am surprised that graphic cards vendors have not raised hell about this. It seems that Microsoft cannot find a way to license their product without being totally invasive to the user...not sure it is worth building game machine now, need to think about it some more. Maybe better to just purchase something half-way fast and then purchase an entirely new one every 2 years...
    sec_monkey likes this.
  20. sec_monkey

yep perhaps. they may require ya to reactivate if ya upgrade some parts

they aint expected to change this any time soon
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary