A good cigar ruined !

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by NotSoSneaky, Oct 5, 2014.

1. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

Today I choose to try my luck at some of the smaller local ponds. First pond I tried gave up two small pickerel about a foot long each. Too small and bony both slammed the lured so hard so hard I had to cut it out of them. I hate killing fish I don't eat so I hopped back in the truck and went a bit further up the road and found me another likely spot. I sat in the truck for a bit and fired up a Romeo Y Julettia Maduro and just watched as moon edged up over the horizon as the daylight began to fade. I walked over to the pond and began to cast an imitation perch floating lure ( about 1 1/2 inches ) along the bank casting to the weedy edges and kept trying, going back and forth along the banks. I was about to give up when I said to myself "one more cast". I made the cast and paused to tap the ash off my cigar when this guy slammed my stationary lure and took off for the other side of the pond. I dropped the stogie as my rod (Daiwa 4 1/2 ft ultralight) bent double and the fight was on. I was using 4lb test line and thought it was going to break but I managed to get him landed and lipped him to get him out of the water.
    [​IMG]

Not one of the monsters some of you catch but a personal best at 3 1/2 lb for me.
    Today was a good day. [coo]

I managed to save the cigar too ! [tongue]

ETA: tried to edit the top pic to a smaller size but the big size keeps showing.
    Mods please change if its still too big.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  2. Dawg23

Dawg23 do or do not, there is no try

NICE fish!!! good job landing him and saving the cigar! [winkthumb]

NotSoSneaky likes this.
  3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Great cigar, one of my all time favorites. Nice fish, too!
    Your picture looks great, by the way.

NotSoSneaky likes this.
  4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I've been wanting to get out myself. Haven't found the time yet. Nice fish, and thanks for sharing.

NotSoSneaky likes this.
  5. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Ah a happy ending! Saved the stogie! Would have been a shame to waste such a primo smoke. But the fish would have eased the loss. Now my mouths watering, I have to go pull a Cohiba out of the humidor. Congrats on the fish, and saving the smoke!

NotSoSneaky and JABECmfg like this.
  6. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Beautiful fish & a great story!!! Enjoy finishing that cigar. [winkthumb]

NotSoSneaky likes this.
  7. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep

Nice Fish!!
    I thought it was gonna be another post on Bill Clinton![OO]

NotSoSneaky and kellory like this.
  8. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

As a saltwater fisherman by choice, my perfect day fishing goes like this. No boat, motor, trailer, hauler, launch, recovery problems. weather excellent. within 1 to 2 hours of start, enough good eating fish are in livewell or cooler to support 2 fish frys feeding 4 people. someone in boat scores a personal best. someone in boat gets humbled by a fish so large there is no stopping it. (keep in mind I have floats attached to my anchor line when in use so we can throw off line vice hauling anchor to follow fish and retrieve line.) I have a small and large gaff (sharp) and a large net (inspected before start of trip). The constant very real possibility of all 3 of these thing happening every trip to saltwater, keeps me going back.
    Congratulations on the personal best!

NotSoSneaky and kellory like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7