A Ham Radio Factory in China

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DKR, Feb 2, 2018.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

You have seen the photos of the Foxcom factory in China - here is where the radio Xiegu X5105 OUTDOOR VERSION is made.

Impressive, eh?

arleigh and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  2. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Yes, and no. Yes, because I am never failed to be amazed how much can be accomplished by a few motivated people that know what they are doing and it seems that especially people in that part of the world (Asians) are able to consistently accomplish twice as much with less than half the resources Americans would need. No, because it resembles no modern 21st Century electronics factory, more like a garage type operation turning out individual units one at a time...

Asia-Off-Grid likes this.
  3. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Most of the Chinese radio come from 'garage' assembly plants. I note the boards are made in job lots by concierge manufacturer - usually by the lowest bidder.

The HS-1B is sold as a semi-kit in China for their market - price? 680 yuan = $103.74

[​IMG]

and as semi-kit
    [​IMG]

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

They are running on JIT suppliers. Not a bad thing, they look geared for it. It would be interesting to know what sort of production rate they can achieve.

Also interesting, there were two languages, English and Russian, and (I think) two dialects of Chinese. Stumbling now and then, but they managed to communicate.

There seems something of a markup --
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0751BXG65/?tag=survivalmonke-20
    I don't know if this is the outdoor ver. but carries the same designation for some reason.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    Bandit99 likes this.
  5. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

They can also live on a heck of a lot less money than we (westerners, Europeans, etc.) can.

Bandit99 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7