A Little talked about condition

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by Minuteman, Aug 11, 2022.

1. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Nurse Amy takes the reins to give you all the information you need to battle one of the most common issues seen when a family is relegated to using long-shelf-life foods that are low in fiber: constipation.

Video: Constipation | Doom and Bloom (TM)

2. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Nurse Amy is pretty good and has some good info-esp about herbal meds. This a good topic actually. Some might find it weird or uncomfortable to talk about but it is a real concern. Lets talk about MRE's for a bit. Anyone who has eaten them for a weekend or more will tell you that in most cases they will act like a cork.. A person needs to drink lots of water with them. Many survivalist think/plan on slaying deer/elk/antelope ect as meat source. There are issues with that plan, but the one here is that they are all lean meat and can/will cause the same problem as MRE's in many folks. Then there are other folks-folks like me. Since my gall bladder was removed, well, food goes through me like shit through a goose. There are meds to help with this, but what happens when I can't get a refill?? The answer is diet, what I eat. It's not as good(for me) as the powder I take but it does work. Leaner cuts of meat help as well as certain veggies.
    Everyone owes it to themselves and their family/team to research this and find what diet will work for them now rather than later when you're sitting on a years worth of food that is gonna give you fits.
    YMMV

3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

You also want to avoid Nitrates and Salt ( ask me how I know) as these will eventually cause GOUT, and lemme tell ya, you don't want it at all! There are many foods that become toxic to your system as you get older, ( MRE's being one) and a SHTF situation will likely find you forced to consuming those foods, which is really gonna suck, and the meds available for treating gout, SUCK!
    I'm now forced to consume much smaller quantities of Beef, and within that, Smoked and/or cured is now Verboten, even chicken, pork and fish can cause issues, and mind you, these are natural foods!
    There is a way to work with this, and that is to try small amounts of food and then wait 24 hours to see how/if it effects you, if not, then increase your intake and see, if it does effecct you, then you know it's a no-go and move on to the next food!

Yard Dart and sec_monkey like this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Allipurinol is the GoTo Gout RX… 5mg really helps…

Yard Dart and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

[winkthumb] [winkthumb]

Allopurinol - Wikipedia [ wiki ]

.. .. git tested before ya take it .. .. if ya gots a gene it can be deadly .. ..

Ura-Ki likes this.
  6. enloopious

enloopious Rocket Surgeon

3 times a week? I had 3 yesterday. Kombucha.

Ura-Ki and Brokor like this.
  7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Ketogenic diet fixed everything for me. Folks just have a tough time accepting the fact that sugar+carbs=death. Now I will have a large window of opportunity to last out any storm. Appropriated many, many, many #10 cans of strawberries, mixed vegetables, and healthy fats. As an added measure, I keep some MCT oil in the freezer, but will have to rotate it out to avoid spoilage.

Find what works for you, however.

8. enloopious

enloopious Rocket Surgeon

Yeah I tried the ketogenic diet and it works. Borderline diabetic gone. All the main stream info that's out there is crap. Not really surprising tho.

Ura-Ki and Brokor like this.
  9. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

Some of the newer MRE's are OK (just OK). The ones we had in Desert Storm, not so much. We used to keep a big connex box where you could throw your extras. Some youngester was always rooting around in them for more calories.

When we left the desert, they buried truck loads of those MRE's rather than transport them back. Wonder what future archiologists will think of that?

What you learn is to try whatever you plan on using for survival food. We have a lot of freeze dried stores put away. I periodically pull out a can of something and use it up, experrimenting on how to make it better and then replacing what I used. There are also certain foods that I know would be "last ditch" if I made them...wife won't eat peas or broccoli, even though I like both. So, what I've done is concentrate on what we both like...proteins, corn, celery, carrots, butter, cheese plus various types of noodles. Mixed in with our pantry supplies and healthy supply of spices and we're fairly good to go.

Plus, if you're used to cooking with your survival stores, nothing goes to waste (but maybe your waist), and you know if anything will affect you adversely.

BTW, every good med kit should carry basics like a dried laxitive, long term anti-biotics, etc.

SB21 and sec_monkey like this.
  1. Gator 45/70
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. Dunerunner
  6. duane
  7. chelloveck
  8. JC Refuge
  9. Dunerunner
  10. JC Refuge
  11. Motomom34