1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

A new .30 carbine manufacturer

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by stg58, May 3, 2015.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

There have been others making M-1 carbines but nice to see a new firearms manufacturer making them again and they will make 1911's all made in the USA.
    Sure the .30 carbine is not the most ideal round but it is light and handy.

American Rifleman | Inland Manufacturing's 1945 M1 Carbine
    Inland Manufacturing, LLC is proud to introduce the re-production of the M1 Carbine and M1A1 Paratrooper models that were built by the original Inland Division of General Motors from 1941 to 1945.

In addition to the M1 Carbines, Inland Manufacturing is also offering two models of the 1911 Semi-Auto Pistol. The original Inland Division never produced any 1911 style handguns as part of their war effort. However, if they did, we are sure that there would be no sacrifice in quality.

The M1 Carbines and 1911 pistols offered by Inland Manufacturing, LLC are manufactured in the USA with no compromises in quality!

Inland Manufacturing

2. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

And a .45 with the A1 curved mainspring housing. Just for oldawgs like me.
    Mike and stg58 like this.
  3. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey++

4. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

a great gun for the recoil shy folks...
    Marck, Tully Mars and stg58 like this.
  5. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Nothing wrong with carbines. Have had several and kept one. Did not have to mess with the black out because the carbine is very close to it's ballistics. Guess it is the old soldier in me that keeps me in love with the little shooter.
  6. stg58

When the CMP brought in a bunch of German postwar police issued carbines a few years back I picked up an Inland and Underwood VG+ shape.

Many years back I had a GI Quality Hardware carbine and the after-market 30 round mags were crap the real GI 30 rounders work but the Taiwan mags were a waste of money.
    I have a few GI 30 round mags but I usually use 15 round mags.
    Marck and Tully Mars like this.
  7. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey++

My dad had one when I was a kid. Lots of fun.
    Marck likes this.
  8. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey Site Supporter

In the Mil and was qualifying for a "watch". Started with the 1911, no problem, then the Thompson, no problem.

My turn next to use the M1 Carbine, I'm observing the shooter that has the M1 Carbine and "Oh Shit" the bolt flies off the weapon and lands at my feet! Yup the WWll M1 was decommissioned that day!

Too close to the shooter some might think! Well the area we had to shoot in was only 10 feet wide and a few more feet long. Didn't even have to clean up our brass!

I've had a few M1 Carbines since but sorry to say none now.
    Tully Mars and stg58 like this.
  9. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey Site Supporter+

Love the M1 carbine. While most consider the cartridge a bit under powered, it has a decent war record IMO. When I bought my 1st one, I bought it only because it was an issue weapon and needed if I was to have a complete collection. However after shooting it, it became a regular on my trips to the range and when taking my girls camping/shooting. They really are a ball to shoot, and GREAT to introduce a new or smaller shooter to center fire rifle,again IMHO.
    stg58 and HK_User like this.
  10. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

According to Pop and a couple uncles the reasons for it being considered under powered were it being,for the most part, issued to non coms, officers, and support personnel in WWII and Korea. It was judged against the M1 Garand used by the grunts with more experience in actual combat firing. My Pop never did accept it as more than a "pip squeak" gun while an uncle in the tanks swore by it. Light,accurate,and dependable anyone with one had a dependable weapon when used at carbine ranges. I saw the same thing in S.E.A. when they were judged against the M-14. Apples and oranges stuff. My brother,a marine, who was there later than I saw the same attitude toward the M16 when compared to the M14 still being used at the first of his tour.
    Marck, Tully Mars and HK_User like this.
  11. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey++

I read a report bu a guy who supposedly spent a couple of years searching through the combat records where a Carbine was mentioned. He said that in not a single reported case that he read was the Carbine ever called under powered, and then dropped in favor of the 1911. All the reports he read showed the complainers to have then picked up a Garand or an enemy rifle of some sort.
  12. ghrit

ghrit Ambulatory anachronism Administrator Founding Member

FWIW, there's an article on the carbine in this month's (June issue) of G&A.
  13. Legion489

Legion489 Shining the Light of Truth

30 rd M1 carbine mags are hit and miss. Try them in a different carbine and they might work fine or not work at all. They were designed for the M2 Carbine (full auto) with the better mag catch. That's why I use the 15 rd mags. I cry when I remember selling 15 rd mags and the price they brought back in the 1970s and 1980s.
    stg58 and Tully Mars like this.
  14. Tully Mars

I've still got some from gun shows in the '80's with yellow $1.95 sale stickers on them;)
    stg58 and HK_User like this.
  15. Legion489

Legion489 Shining the Light of Truth

Saw and advert in one of my catalogs with the title "M1 Carbines in .22 and 9mm" but the rest of the ad only had .22 M1 Carbines and 1911 pistols. I thought a 9mm M1 might be fun. Anyone seen one?
  16. Tully Mars

No, but gotta believe it would be similar to the Marlin camp carbines in 9mm/.45ACP.
  17. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey++

I have handled the 9mm...and I hated it. They basically added some metal to the mag well area, and made a hard to hit finicky looking loading area out of it. Messed with the balance too, if memory serves.
  18. Grand58742

Grand58742 Monkey+++

I'd like to see some ballistics tests with the Hornady Critical Defense Carbine round.
    HK_User likes this.
  19. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

For what it's worth... the Carbine was meant as a supplement to a officer/non-coms side arm.. it reached our to a hundred yards where as a .45 was considered good to 30 yards... as to accuracy issues... at the time there were not many if any pistols that could hold a 2-3 inch group at 100 yards...

Brokor, HK_User, stg58 and 1 other person like this.
  20. stg58

I went through my carbine parts and found some M-2 mag catches and put them on my carbines I don't use my 30 round mags much but they are better prepared now.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary