A Novel Tiny House.....................

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by chelloveck, Nov 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

A novel tiny house....

RightHand, tacmotusn and hank2222 like this.
  2. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Never watched the video I must admit. Too many negatives jumped into my mind. Think rocket stove. Did that open your eyes? Do I have your attention? How about emergency escapes? Zip lines maybe? All those stairs? Not for older folks like me, and many others. Proper heating and cooling? Are they CONSTANTLY fighting natural heat / cooling convection shift from bottom to top. How? Extensive ductwork and fans to fight what is natural? Upstairs must be hot most of the time and the lowest level cool. Okay I am done. Guess I will watch the video and see if any of this is addressed. If not, a BIG THUMBS DOWN.

3. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

In my mind 2 stories is not much of a silo. We have BIG, some even Huge silos here in USA. He is no idiot obviously and has addressed almost all my negatives. Still not for an olde half crippled phart like me.

chelloveck and Thunder5Ranch like this.
  4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

@tacmotusn It's not the kind of tiny dwelling that will appeal to everyone. I posted the video clip, more for its imaginative use of space saving ideas and use of a structure that one wouldn't normally think of in adapting it to living in. Sometimes weird and wacky, can stimulate the kind of thinking which may create solutions for more conventional living arrangements.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  5. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

Something else that has been happening since the Tiny Home craze exploded around ten years ago. A lot of cities and counties have enacted ordances outlawing living in these tiny homes.

Think you can take your tiny house to a piece of junk land to live cheap, check your county ordances,,,,, they are now requiring a fully functional septic sysyem. There was a local guy that did this in my next county. The county attorney found out and had the Sherrif's office issue an eviction notice to leave his own land. Crazy as it seems, trying to live a simple life is becoming even more prohibitive.

chelloveck likes this.
  6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Quite interesting that he used the IBC tote containers for an entryway. Interesting video.

chelloveck likes this.
  7. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I just finished building a girl one a few months ago. Turned out nice, with her interior vision. She set it up on a lot her grandfather owns that has a well and septic system , in front of a nice little pond. Although she is using a composting toilet, but has water, electric, and a propane instant hot water heater. Well , a few weeks ago a local building inspector shows up and just said she has the 1st one in the county and they're not sure how to deal with them yet , but they know there coming m So a few days later, he brings out his boss to look at it. So , one of the guys says she may have to get a mobile home certification. I told her I didn't know how to go about that , but not to get it mobile home certified , but if she has to , to try and get a camper , or RV certification if possible. There will be 2 totally different sets of codes for the 2. The camper, RV certification , one of the main things here is to keep any electrical service to a 50 amp maximum service. But I'm sure there's going to start being some restrictions on these , as others have said.
    Are we really living in the free'est country in the world.

8. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Oh, I am sure they will find someway to tax it! Yes, indeed! Can't be having this type of untaxed nonsense done right before our eyes and get away with it.

"to keep any electrical service to a 50 amp maximum service"
    How is even a small home going to run a electric furnace and a few other amenities on 50 amps? Hell, that is what I was getting in a third-world country!

"Are we really living in the free'est country in the world"
    Nope. We swallowed the fairy tale hook, line and sinker. ""None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." And we, Sir, are 'hopelessly enslaved.' I never really saw it until I got back stateside...I hate to admit it but think the reason I didn't see it was because I was more free in other countries.

SB21 likes this.
  9. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

It is tight to keep the service down, which is why most campers have a battery for most lighting and an inverter to help with some of the electrics, and propane stoves and dual fuel/powered fridges and heat and AC systems. It can be done with a little planning.
    Yes , my short period overseas was an eye opener as well. It seems I feel the lack of freedoms more and more everyday.

10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

50 Amp Service is a HUGH amount....240Vac * 50 = 12KW.... Most of the places around here don't have even half that.... Many get along with 5Kw and some with 3Kw... It just takes a bit of planning.... You don't run the Electric Cloths Dryer, and the Washing Machine at the same time, Heat, Hot Water, and Cooking is Propane, and if you use a Propane Dryer, the 12 Kw is easy to do, even with Christmas Lights...

chelloveck likes this.
  11. Bandit99

@SB21 "It seems I feel the lack of freedoms more and more everyday."
    I become more bitter each and everyday when I hear crap our government does or doesn't do. It's like a faithless lover that uses your love as a doormat, not worth the price of a stick of gum. I honestly feel betrayed and more so everyday. I recently got into a local argument where the guy considered my talk to be unpatriotic. Unpatriotic my backside! I came unglued and told him the reason for my hostile feelings was because I am a patriot and I have paid for those feelings, having 'duck & cover' more times than he had hot dinners and been to more countries than I could count (51 at last count...but always seem to forget some). But, I wasn't angry with him and I am not angry with my country nor love it less - actually - I feel sorry for it. I am angry with our government which has hijacked our country and use it and its people for their individual needs and purposes: a piggy bank and cannon fodder. And, I helped support that government, even defended it in word and deed, so in truth I am angry with myself, even more so than our corrupt government, because I was a blind idiot for so many years. Thinking about it, I probably feel the same as most except these feelings only started for me about 2 years ago (only been back 3) so they're new and I find them difficult to swallow at times... Anyway, back on topic...

SB21 likes this.
  12. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

These days, the standard service is 200 amp, usually comes in at 220 (or thereabouts) and split in the main panel into 2 (obviously) 120 volt busses plus space for 220 breakers for dryers and A/C units. I'm about certain that the "200" is intended to convey the idea of @120V. Plenty, even with electric baseboard heat if anyone really wants it.

Now, back to your tiny house ----

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  13. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I didn't spend as much time in as you have , and I thank you for your service and sacrifices for our country , The one you thought you were serving . I'm with you 100% with your feelings of our .gov and being hijacked and the disgust for what they have done to our country, and continue to do , with blatant disregard and disrespect for its citizens, and their self imposed 2 tiered justice system.
    This is a subject that leads one deeper and deeper into despair and depression , at least for me anyway. Because I , like you , have just starting really realizing the depths that we have come to. It's not that I didn't know what was happening , I just wasn't keeping up with all that was happening , and piecing it all together to see these depths. I guess , in a nutshell , I have been wandering around with the blinders on.
    This a whole different conversation , so just as you've stated , back to the original topic.

Bandit99 likes this.
  14. Bandit99

Yes, that is exactly what I have is 200amps into the house and the guy who built the place in 2009 did indeed use a type of baseboard heaters, wall heaters, which are not very efficient to say the least (actually, crap as a primary or good as a secondary). I put in a woodstove this past Spring/Summer and now getting ready to put in a entire new heating system with a Heat Pump which will also have a fan and ducting to move around all this wood heat I am generating. Anyway, after this is done, I really don't think we'll ever come close to needing 200 amps, won't take it out of course, but won't need it.

1. deMolay
  2. oil pan 4
  3. DKR
  4. chelloveck
    Hobbit living.... [MEDIA] [MEDIA]
    Thread by: chelloveck, Jul 1, 2018, 3 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  5. DKR
  6. TXKajun
  7. cwb
  8. RPR
    My latest purchase for the ranch... [MEDIA]
    Thread by: RPR, May 29, 2016, 11 replies, in forum: Off Grid Living