A reminder. Check your smoke detector batteries and fire extinguishers.

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by hot diggity, Oct 3, 2021.

1. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

It's October already and we'll be closing up doors and windows against the cold soon. Time to check the batteries in smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors. Good time to change the furnace filter inspect fire extinguishers too. Turn all the dry chemical fire extinguishers upside down and give them a few thumps on the side with a rubber mallet to dislodge the powder. If you should ever need them you want to be sure they're ready.

2. saki monkey

saki monkey Monkey

Good reminder. I will try the rubber mallet on the fire extinguishers. Got a bunch in my shop and the house. Too expensive to get them renewed at shop. Thanks.

Meat likes this.
  3. hot diggity

I have interests that result in several small fires a year. I keep a couple fresh extinguishers nearby, with the hope they're never needed. A wet beach towel and a metal trash can are my go-to extinguishers. No mess and no corrosive powder on antique finishes.

SB21 and Meat like this.
  4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I use still have CO2 and pressurized water ones.

SB21 and Meat like this.
  5. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

another battery to change out at the seasonal time saving calendar date is in your thermostat >>> the newer programable have a battery buried in the back of the circuit board insert - it'll shut you down if it craps out

6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I shot off a quick puff from my CO2 fire extinguisher. Now my dogs are all scared.

Don't try that with a dry chemical one.

7. john316

john316 Monkey+++

"
    Check your smoke detector batteries"

HOW CAN I DO THAT
    YOU PUSH THE TEST BUTTON
    IT YOU GET A LOUD NOISE,,,,,EVERYTHING IS GOOD
    IF THE BATTERY RUNS DOWN........................THE DETECTOR WILL CHIRP
    IF IT IS A 110 VOLT DETECTOR, AND THE POWER GOES OFF.............THE DETECTOR WILL CHIRP

8. hot diggity

I check them after I replace the batteries. Sure, the batteries might last 5 years, but it's an expense I'm willing to pay. I have found batteries that were corroded and made replacement of the whole smoke alarm necessary.

SB21 and Motomom34 like this.
  9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Great reminder @hot diggity. Also, smoke detectors have expiration dates. IMO spending $20 to up-grade to a new smoke detector is worth it.

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

We found offshore that if you store fire extinguishers on there sides the powder would not clump up on the bottom

SB21 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7